Vitamins and supplements?

Options
kfalcon23
kfalcon23 Posts: 23 Member
I had my sleeve done 8/30/13. I feel like I am eating more pills a day, than actual food! Please give me input about what you do for vitamins and supplements.

I have Hashimoto's disease -aka Hypothyroid. I take a very high dosage of a synthetic thyroid hormone, and take 4 pills daily. These pills need to be taken on an empty stomach. 2 hours before or after eating. I take them first thing in the morning when I wake up.
Then come the multivitamins with iron. I was told to take twice the daily dosage each day. Thats 2 more pills. Then the Calcium sup, 4 more pills. Then Vit. B12 one a day, and the medication for my Gal bladder Ursodiol - 2 more pills a day. Then last, but not least, I take a prescription strength Vitamin D cap once a week while taking the supplement once a day.

If you lost count, that is a total of 14 to 15 pills a day. Of course some pills cant be taken with others, or with food. My whole day feels like it revolves around theses dang pills!

I am also having trouble getting my protein in, so I am mentally exhausted at the end of the day over this. I even dream about taking pills!!

My question is - does it get better? How far out are you from your sleeve, and what are you doing for vitamins and supplements? Is the amount that I take "normal", or absurd?

Replies

• jennielou75
    jennielou75 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I am now 18 mnths out from surgery. I don't have any extra health issues at the moment. I take a multivitamin and extra calcium once a day and that is it. My bloods are checked every 3 months and have come back fine. Once you get your diet more varied it doe become easier. Unfortunately advice does change from doc to doc. Luckily for me mine just told me to do what feels right for me. I still aim for a good amount of protein but also good carbs because that stopped my lightheadedness. Always ask for advice if you don't feel right.
  • PaulaKro
    PaulaKro Posts: 5,688 Member
    Options
    I needed heart meds (warfarin, propaphenol, diltiazem, lasix & potassium). My NUT added multivitamins, Citrical and VitB12 which I should have taken all my life. Post-surgery, they added VitD, Ursidol, and something for indigestion.

Three months out it's down to half my heart meds, the vitamins and the Ursidol (needed for fast weight loss to avoid gallstones).

Taking pills was SO hard for the first few months. It should get easier for you soon. It sounds like you're doing a good job juggling your empty-stomach requirements. Hopefully that will get easier too. Best wishes.
  • kfalcon23
    kfalcon23 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Wow! That's great that you have been able to cut down on your heart meds. It sounds like I just have to keep trucking along LOL! Thank you ladies!
  • DJRonnieLINY
    DJRonnieLINY Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    WIth respect to protein: I like the Isopure drinks (available at GNC), 40 grams of protein in 20 oz liquid. Some people find them sweet (taste a bit like a Jolly Rancher) but I like a few of the flavors. They are a nice protein boost to help you meet goal.
  • bikrchk
    bikrchk Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Yep. Pills, pills and more pills. I have an app on my phone to help me keep it straight and remember when to take what! As for protein, I like the Syntrex Nectar products. They have several that mix with water, so you can count that along with the protein! I like the Iced Tea and Lemonaide. Available at Vitamin Shoppe.
  • caccicoo
    caccicoo Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I am 2 weeks post op. I am taking 500 mg of chewable calcium and a chewable multivitamin. I also take 1250 iu of vitamin D and a B12. I start my morning off with Prevacid.
  • melbogg
    melbogg Posts: 135
    Options
    Interesting topic - I'm over a year post op and forgetting my vitamins on most days.
    Anyone else over a year out still take supplements regularly? Wondering if its normal to fall off or if Im making a big mistake
  • jennielou75
    jennielou75 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I was told at my last appointment with the nutitionist that I no longer needed supplements. I haven't taken them for a bit but now I am excercising more I may restart my multivitamins. I am 18 months out now.
  • LiberatedSleeve
    Options
    I am almost 2 years out and still chew my Bariatric Fusion Multivitamins everyday.

I have never taken any other supplements. This multivitamin has all the calcium, iron, etc. needed and was designed for people like us who have had these various surgeries. I can say that I feel great and should take a multivitamin everyday anyway. They cost me $25 for a 45 day supply so it's worth it to me to not have to figure out which vitamins and supplements to take. (Averages out to .55 cents a day) My blood test numbers have always been great with no deficiencies.
  • BGabbart
    BGabbart Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I was sleeved in Nov 2013 and I take my Zeal Wellness, a chewable calcuim and c hewable B12
  • shirleygirl910
    shirleygirl910 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    It's been 2 yrs since my last surgery to convert my band to the sleeve. At first I use to take everything I could in liquid form. I didn't seem to take as much, but when I went to pills, yeah, it seems like a lot. You can get all the vitamins and minerals in liquid form, the prescriptions you have to ask the pharmacy. My thyroid was the only one I couldn't get in liquid.

Currently I take thyroid, stomach, multi, magnesium, Vit D, Calcuim, B12, Glucosamine, and Omega 3. I'm feeling the best I have in all my life. I wish I would have done this in my 20's.
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    I take gummy multivitamin and chewable biotin 2 days a week and replesta vit d 50,000 iu once a month. They actually had me back off from the huge vitamin regimen. Once I was really hitting my protein levels I was well nourished. My protein shakes and zero vitamin waters are fortified as well. They stopped my b complex because it is in so much of the bars, shakes and waters I was drinking. Not all of the b vitamins break down as fast as they previously thought. Your vitamins will or should be based on your labs. My last recommendation was add a extra egg yolk here and there and dark greens at least 2 days a wk. protein is a struggle but if you focus there your outside vitamins will likely decrease.
  • specialemy
    specialemy Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I totally understand what you are going through, and taking that many pills was overwhelming for me too. I am 1 year and 10 months out (was sleeved in March 2012), and I still take as many pills as you, plus thyroid medication and pepcid. Along the way I added flaxseed oil pills and biotin (for the hair loss I had) which I still take on a daily basis.

It did get better for me, in terms of daily routine anyway. I took my pills with a ready made protein shake when I could. I took Premier Nutrition protein shakes (that I found at Costco) with them. Depending on what your doctor instructs for you, and the results of your lab tests, your pill regimen may reduce. I had my surgery through Kaiser in which they instructed that the vitamins I take be for life. I don't have a problem with it anymore because I have the same routine daily in taking them.

In the beginning it was more easier to take in the vitamins as chewables, especially the Calcium Citrate because those had to be taken as 2 pills -- 3 times a day, which means it was a total of 6 pills that I had to try and take in. I ordered chewable multi-vitamins and the Calcium Citrate pills through BariaticChoice.com.

Also, here's a breakdown of what I currently take daily:

One-A-Day Women's multi-vitamin (2 pills)
    Calcium Citrate (6 pills total -- 2 in the morning, 2 in the afternoon, 2 in the evening)
    B-1 (1 pill)
    B-12 (1 sublingual pill - under the tongue)
    Pepcid (2 pills -- 1 in the morning, 1 in the evening)
    Thyroid pill (1 pill)
    Flaxseed Oil (2 pills)
    Biotin (1 pill)
    Cholesterol pill (1 pill)
    Iron pill (1 pill -- as a chewable two hours after dinner)
    Vitamin C pill (1 pill -- as a chewable to take with the Iron pill to help with Iron absorption)
    ...plus insulin in the morning and evening before bed

I am happy to say I am finally off blood pressure meds after taking it for over 10 years. After typing out the above list...that looks pretty crazy, but I swear I have my daily pill popping, pill chewing regimen down pat! Hope some of the this info helps! Also, feel free to add me. Whew.