What Type of Vegetarian Are You?

Replies

• Chelsarrr
    Chelsarrr Posts: 65 Member
    I'm an animal rights vegan, myself. :)
  • I work with communities to combat climate change so I need to put my money where my mouth is - intensive meat rearing is not good for the environment. I've been a vegetarian since I was a teenager (now in my sixties) so I don't consider meat to be a food. However, I did eat meat for two years when I worked with poor rural communities in Zimbabwe. I thought it would be rude and culturally wrong to refuse any meal that was offered. x
  • Godispromising
    Godispromising Posts: 11 Member
    I believe that in a perfect world, like back in the garden of Eden & like the world to come, every one will be vegetarians. I became a vegetarian when I was 12, and I still cant believe we eat animals. I wish I had of realized what eating a animal actually was sooner. I think if people actually had to hunt and kill and skin, etc. there own meat there would be a lot more vegetarians in the world. And I think if you can say that you couldn't do that, then you shouldn't be allowed to eat meat. Yes, I LOVE animals! I think that it is absolutely sickening what we do to animals! I also want to be healthy but I do eat food that is not good for you like chips, etc. so I'm not a health nut.

That person who put you into the health nut box is rare, because I have been a vegetarian for 30 years and I have Never had anyone act that way towards me. Just saying.

Much love to you all!!!!
  • snowmoon13
    snowmoon13 Posts: 165 Member
    A tolerant one!
  • Hbazzell
    Hbazzell Posts: 899 Member
    Mostly number 2, but the other two are contenders as well.
  • antileah
    antileah Posts: 4 Member
    The Spiritual Human: Hindu Vegetarians know that it is spiritually damaging to consume the dead bodies of other species

That's beautiful!! Definitely resonates with me :)

I'm probably the animal lover one but I wouldn't consider myself an animal lover; I don't think that anyone should have to suffer for my choices. I also believe that it is the healthiest and most natural diet for the human body!
  • thenewmoni
    thenewmoni Posts: 30 Member
    The Spiritual Human: Hindu Vegetarians know that it is spiritually damaging to consume the dead bodies of other species

+1! I started becoming more spiritual and noticed how much happier and full of life i felt when i cut out meat! I used to be filled with anxiety and fear all the time! I realized now i was consuming all the negative emotions/energy of the chickens that were killed!
  • Veganmafia
    Veganmafia Posts: 54 Member
    Lol I just read a book called "the new vegetarian" by Paul Amato (its an old book but along the same lines as this topic)
    I tend to not fit in any of the listed options.
    I am more for transparency:glasses: in the food industry and accountability:sad: in chemical and genetic alterations, on top of lack of unionization amongst farmers, the cheated laborers. There's a lot of injustice:brokenheart: and injury in the food industry, especially the meat industry. Therefore, that is the type of Veg I am :flowerforyou:
  • Veganmafia
    Veganmafia Posts: 54 Member
    Perhaps I need to revise.

There are two types of vegetarian health nuts. I'm totally okay with those of you out there who went vegetarian for your health. But there are some health nuts who take it to an extreme - eating a strict raw diet, drinking green smoothies, going so far as to eat tofu straight from the container. Sure, it's their perogative...but it's these types of health nuts that scream to high heavens that their way is the "right way" and then I have to deal with people thinking that vegetarianism is a joyless eating experience. That's what bothers me -- not the healthy eating part, but how forcefully they make others believe vegetarianism is this boring, strict way of eating.

I think there is some confusion on this multifaceted realm of vegetarianism:glasses: . We have raw vegans, raw vegetarians, raw foodists :wink: and natural hygienists, macrobiotic vegetarians and vegans, political activism type vegetarian and vegans, nutritionally homeopathic :drinker: vegetarians and vegans, new age vegetarians and vegans, feminist :noway: vegans and vegetarians (ie; The politics of meat) , confrontational:angry: vegans and vegetarians, :flowerforyou: change the world and recruit vegetarians and vegans, the secret vegetarians :indifferent: and vegans, eating disorder recovery vegetarian and vegans, drinker/chain smoker and sometimes :smokin: drug head vegans and vegetarians, "a celebrity :heart: is vegan/vegetarian so am i" vegan/vegetarian, hippie may still support a commune -vegan/vegetarian, Clean eating vegan/vegetarian, soyfree vegan/vegetarian, I need to lose:cry: weight vegan/vegetarian, health issue vegan/vegetarian, "only diet a:huh: stuck to" vegan/vegetarian.

We have a TON of subcategories of Veg people and other vegetarians have to accept that. When food choices became public, different shades of peoples' beliefs became public too. There needs to be more unity amongst vegetarians. Must there be an opinion about everything:noway: ?
    How many non-vegetarians think vegetarians are extreme*:flowerforyou: Im sure a lot of them. But is that necessarily true, no. It is up to the individual who shares* :heart: that they are a vegan/vegetarian to be prepared for all that "crap" :grumble: of stereotypes, misconceptions and sometimes different areas of vegetarian lifestyle to be addressed. :sad: Instead of criticizing or labeling (many vegetarians flow through many different areas of the categories above after various years), just:happy: clarify what is true for You. If you wanna avoid the conversation with your checkout person, :noway: don't share that your vegetarian, keep it personal.

If you do more research (study is endless) and talk to more veg people and read the history of it, then it won't be so overwhelming to know how many different sides of veg there really are:ohwell:
  • sarahmoo12
    sarahmoo12 Posts: 756 Member
    Animal Lover :)
  • blueday617
    blueday617 Posts: 50 Member
    I'm an animal lover! However the health benefits that come along with being a vegetarian are very nice. :)
  • meowchii
    meowchii Posts: 47 Member
    Lol I am a pure vegetarian aka vegan. I consider myself pretty lax as I do consume products like Tofurky etc. I would never break veganism though!!! Very important cause to me.
  • Sweet_Potato
    Sweet_Potato Posts: 1,119 Member
    I'm not 100% vegetarian, but I mostly avoid meat because I'm a flavor LOVER not a hater! I just think vegetarian food is a lot more interesting and exciting. I also prefer a vegetarian diet because it's a lot cheaper and easier (if you're eating mostly home-cooked food).
  • Sweet_Potato
    Sweet_Potato Posts: 1,119 Member
    I would add THE ENVIRONMENTALIST. I mostly went vegetarian to reduce my impact on the environment with a little bit of the other three mixed in.

Yes, that too!
  • You're missing a type, I did it for the environmental aspect (world hunger, water pollution and the co2 emissions from factory grown meats were the biggest selling points to me) and later the health nut obsession grew on me.
  • Definitely Environmentalist. I'm a marine biologist who researches/teaches about climate change, pollution, etc. I've been sliding lately so really need the motivation to get back to mostly vegan. I do eat eggs (from my local friends who have organic, free range) and occasionally Wild caught Alaska salmon when my body seems to crave it (from my Alaska fisherman friend at the local farmers market). I do want to give up dairy products again. It was once I started letting cheese back into my diet, and a damaged knee for 5 months, that I started putting the weight on. Time to dig deep and find that commitment bone again.
  • Melissa132129
    Melissa132129 Posts: 205 Member
    I'm a mixture of the animal lover and taste one.
    I have been vegetarian since I was 5. I was made to eat everything on my plate until I was 5 and then I chose not to eat any meat because I did not like the taste and texture of it. As a kid I was a huge animal lover. We had alot of animals growing up but because we had so many I don't like having any animals. Not that I don't like them they are just not for me. I do believe though that we shouldn't have to kill animals for food, it just doesn't seem right to me.
  • Awdwee
    Awdwee Posts: 6 Member
    I'm an animal lover/environmentalist first and foremost. After years of humming and hawing about giving up meat I finally did it in college when I found myself with no more excuses.
    Now that I have, I stay off for health reasons too. Would love to go vegan but worry that with a nut allergy (peanuts and almonds only OK) and an apparent soya intolerence it would be too difficult thus I make TVP and eggs my main protein sources.
    Maybe someday though :)
  • vegandave
    vegandave Posts: 40 Member
    I started by nothing noble. Serious carnivore with a vegetarian brother-in-law, sister-in-law, and niece. Used to joke that I needed a 'meat fix' before and after visiting them. I had a shift to vegetarianism when losing weight the last time, as the WW diet suggests low fat high fiber, which can only be obtained from plants. At the same time, I was searching for my 'spiritual self', I know, sounds weird. Buddhism, back to my Judaic roots, and surprised to find that in Genesis 1:29, G-d prescribes a vegan diet for all sentient beings. Since then, I have regained some weight - I'm here on MFP, but have an unbelievable connection to all life, and I am working to make amends to all of those I have personally slaughtered to satisfy my lust for flesh.

I agree with your basic three, the list could be expanded. Be raised, as was mentioned, is another good one.
  • jigenigma
    jigenigma Posts: 19 Member

Yup! Raised vegetarian for religious reasons--and as an adult I came to understand the environmental and physical health implications of eating a diet high in meat. While I agree that "preachy" vegetarians and vegans are annoying, I don't think that "health nuts" are necessarily preachy.