When is it ok to run?

Options
Bekarington
Bekarington Posts: 85 Member
I'd love to be able to run, but I wondered what weight is it safe to start running? I dont want to knacker my ankles and knees and I've been told that running at my weight could be bad for them.

(currently 302lbs - down from 355lbs so far...)

Replies

• xenaroadwarrior
    Options
    I'm at 318lbs or so currently and I am trying to start the C25K program (Couch to 5km). I'm taking a lot of strain in my knees and ankles, and wondering if maybe I have taken on too much too soon. I've sort of dropped back to walking, and might attempt the C25K again when I get under 300lbs. So I'd also be interested in what others think.
  • aquarianpixi
    aquarianpixi Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I'm doing the c25k too, but instead of increasing the speed I am increasing the incline on my treadmill. hopefully by the end I'll feel steong enough to speed up. maybe that will work for you too?
  • SadieRose07
    SadieRose07 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I hate running because of my chest so I don't have any specific advice. Here in Canada we have a chain store called "The Running Room" that is all about running/walking and offer classes and group runs/walks, etc. Do you have something similar near you? If so, that would be an excellent place to go for form, speed, etc.

Good luck and it's awesome that you are interested in running!
  • Bertie02
    Bertie02 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I think its different based on each person. I know for me its not until I'm in the lower 200s that I can start running because I get shin splints easily and have weak knees and ankles. Other people weigh more and can run no problem.

My suggestion if you feel that you can start running, start slow and easy, listen to your body and go from there.
  • JohnnyOrlando
    Options
    I just made a spreadsheet for my training.

speed across the top (2.0-6.0 mph in .1 steps)
    incline down the side (0-10% in 1% steps)
    each block has minutes (10-60 in 2 min steps)

each workout is slightly different and more difficult

2.0 mph at 0 incline for 10 mins
    2.1 mph at 0 incline for 10 mins
    2.0 mph at 1% incline for 10 mins
    2.1 mph at 1% incline for 10 mins
    6.0 mph at 10% incline for 60 mins

etc.

This gives me like 400 workouts that are each different (trick your body) and no brainer - pick one not marked completed.

I have never been able to run for long (even as an normal weight kid) so I figured by the time I do each of these my body will adjust as needed. Slow and steady.

Personally, I would not worry about running. I would go for max incline for fastest walk possible for longest time. Running is bad for your body regardless of your shape let alone 300 lbs.
  • toonafeesh
    toonafeesh Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I am also doing the C25K. Currently I am close to 320 (give or take) and I try to run for about 10 minutes per day and walk an additional 20.
  • lindseydavis07
    lindseydavis07 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I'm doing the C25K now as well. I started when I was over 300 and my knee's slowed me up a bit so I took a few weeks off and now I am back at it. I have found that If I take a day off in between runs and I stretch properly prior to running it helps! Just take it slow, don't try to go fast and if something hurts stop :) you never know unless you try!!I have my first 5K in two weeks so if I can do you so can you!! :) Good luck!!

20915408.png
  • supergirl6
    supergirl6 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Doing C25K is great - but if you're in the 300s you have to also strengthen the muscle that supports the knees, abs, and back. Idealy, start strengthening these first, then start running so you don't hurt yourself. I started running when I was around 315-320 a little over a year ago. But I started strength training first because I felt pain in weird places when I ran.

Start with adding squats to your routine every day. 2 sets of 10 if you can, but if you can't, try 2 sets of 5. Use a ball beween your back and the wall for stability and to make sure you maintain proper posture. Work up to more, but it might take a while.

From squats, I added a whole bunch of weight machines and other body weight exercises that centered on strengthening the core. Back - abs - butt and the muscles that support the knees (squats and lunges were amazing for me).

After about a month of concentrating on my core, I started running and all the weird pain was gone.

Go very slow. Pull that speed down to where you are just pushing a running type form, but don't go fast. I think my first speed was like 3.8. I have very short legs though, so this felt like flying. I run at 4.5 now, but it took a while to comfortably build up to that.

Spend as many weeks as you need for each C25K week, and don't sweat it. I think I spent 4 weeks on Week 1, Week 2, and Week 3 each before running became easier. Run with your treadmill set to an incline of 1 - this will simulate running outside more accurately and will take some pressure off your ankles.

On days you don't run, try incline intervals on the treadmill while walking.
  • candylilacs
    candylilacs Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    I was going to agree with supergirl6. You need to make sure your thighs, calves and hamstrings are in beautiful shape. Those are the muscle groups (I think) that keep the strain off the joints. Basically if you can't lift 250 pounds with your legs, you shouldn't run. Work out until you can.
  • starchile
    starchile Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    The first time I tried C25K, I did so on the treadmill and got up to week 8 and 28minutes of jogging (slloooowwwwllllllyyyy) but I had to stop b/c of hip pain. I was 355 at the time.

Now I'm 325 and I'm starting again. I'm only on W2D1 but so far so good.

I think Supergirl6 gave you the absolute best advice. Work on strengthening the supporting muscles. That's definitely what I'm going to do.
  • judymoving
    Options
    Doing C25K is great - but if you're in the 300s you have to also strengthen the muscle that supports the knees, abs, and back. Idealy, start strengthening these first, then start running so you don't hurt yourself. I started running when I was around 315-320 a little over a year ago. But I started strength training first because I felt pain in weird places when I ran.

The above is the key! I am a past runner, over 15 years ago running 4 miles a day.

Two years ago, when I was 308 I walked, everyday. I started with just a slow 2 mile walk, it would take me over 1/2 to complete.. Smelling the roses along the way. I know if I pushed too hard, I would hurt, and pain is always a deterrent for me. I kept at walking gradually finding paths that had hills. I started this process in the Spring, by mid Summer I completed the 2 mile walk with ease, and started to add more miles. Soon I was walking 3-4 miles and I was getting faster. I also started to loose weight, this was without calorie counting. By the Fall (so over 3 months) I was at 288, and I could feel my body was stronger, and I no longer felt the impact in my muscles from my walk. I knew I needed to do more, even my heart rate wasn't pounding like it used too. My body was telling it was time to run!

Let your body do the talking.... it will let you know.
  • Blue801
    Blue801 Posts: 442
    Options
    I'm 320 and only 5'4'' so I have to be kinda careful running. I usually run barefoot on a treadmill or use minimalist running shoes outside. I avoid heal-striking at all cost and focus on a midfoot strike so that my calves act as shock absorbers and there is minimal stress on my joints. I was running 3 miles daily without any problem, but then I had to go on bedrest for several months because of my dysfunctional pregnancy. Now I'm back at square one with my running, trying to work back up from being completely out of shape. My doctor is more supportive than most. She thinks it's great that I run. I'm sure there are many docs who would look at my body and suggest I just walk. As a fat runner I think I have to be more attentive to any discomfort and really listen to my body to know when I can push and when I need to take it easier. Best of luck to you! Running rocks!
  • emilym820
    emilym820 Posts: 993 Member
    Options
    I would listen to your body because everyone is made differently. I ran (putting it loosely) at about 280 and it was almost to much for my body. I plan to give it another try once I get below 250 (just around the corner) and see how my body feels. If I'm still not ready, I'll just wait a little longer.

You will get there. The most important thing, in my opinion, is to not try to do too much at once. It's better to do something your body is comfortable with than to try to do too much too soon and get injured.

<<Hugs>> Emily