New Shredder

Options
Hi Everyone! Looking for fellow shredders for moral support. My husband and I started the Super Shred diet on Saturday, January 4th. We have been sticking to the menu plan and exercise. I'm fighting the urge to get on the scale but I do already feel my clothes fitting better. My husband and I both have over 50 pounds to lose. If these 4 weeks pan out for us I think we will switch to the 6 week Shred diet. Anyone have success with that? I would love to hear any success stories for encouragment. I'll be posting again next Saturday to give an update! Good luck everyone!

Replies

• jobell2355
    jobell2355 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Hi. I just read the book and will be starting the Super Shred plan on Sunday the 12th. I presently am doing a 6 day fat flush plan to get a jump start. I have 20 lbs. to lose but have to say I am a bit jealous of you. Even though you have 50 to lose you are doing it with your husband. My husband is about 50 lbs. overweight but refuses to do anything about it. He will eat healthily when I cook it but what he does on his own time seems to sabotage his progress. So good luck to you two for doing it together. I also have quote a few friends who are well overweight but can't seem to encourage any of the,to do it with me so I came here for support & motivation. Hopefully we can all do this together. I'm glad you already started as maybe you can give me some pointers you find helpful.
  • murph1777ca
    Options
    Hi - my husband and I started SuperShred on Monday... today is our week 1 "superShredder" day and he's struggling a bit with the calorie/food restriction. I'm clinging to the mantra that anyone can do anything for 24 hours! Looking forward to seeing some activity in this group, too.
  • jobell2355
    Options
    Murph, how are you feeling about the amount of food? Have you logged it on here to see approx. how many calories it is allowing you? Also, how are you doing with staying off the scale? I have a hard time waiting.
  • Sillygirl50703
    Sillygirl50703 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Hello! Checking in- today is the beginning of week 2 for my husband and I. We did our weigh in this morning and the verdict is....... I am down 3 pounds and my husband is down 8 (of course :P). We stuck to the diet. I will make my food diary available for viewing if it isn't yet so you can see our ideas for snacks. My tips for some food ideas? Skinny Cow ice cream sandwiches are 150 calories and sooo good. Also for all the soup we have to endure: Progresso light! They have some really good selections. I personally am a fan of the Italian Meatball soup. Just remember to stay away from the creamy soups. I find the time goes by faster on the elliptical machine if I do intervals of intensities. Like 3 minutes on level 2, then 3 minutes on level 3, then 4, then 3 minutes going back down on each setting. Anyway, that's it for this week! How is everyone doing? Hang in there! 3 more weeks to go. I can do this!!
  • jobell2355
    Options
    Sounds like you are doing well. Thank you for sharing with us. Funny I bought the Progresso Light. Glad I made a good choice. I start tomorrow. I lost 6 lbs on my 6 day fat burn that I did this week to jump start. Hopefully that will continue.
  • murph1777ca
    Options
    Hi ladies - I've stayed away from the scale but DH hasn't and he's KILLING it - damn those men! My weigh-in will be Monday, and I'm really hopeful of seeing a whoosh. I'm feeling good and really not too deprived and we've been faithful with the exercise. @Jo, I have been logging, though I've kept my diary private, and the calorie count has varied from about 900-1200 per day. Timing of the meals/snacks is our biggest challenge as I work from home and I'm a real nightowl. I've had to try to change that, otherwise we're looking at our last meal @9pm, and that's not ideal.

Tonight was pizza night (Week 1, Day 6) and gotta say, it was awesome! Tomorrow breakfast offers the grilled cheese s/w, but I'm worried that dairy and sodium will take away from my hard work come Monday WI. Ridiculous really, but those scale #s mean way too much!

I've also just acquired a Fitbit Flex - because I tend toward sedentary (read: bump on log) I'm finding it quite motivating. It's kind of horrifying to realize you've only moved 400 steps before noon. Yesterday I actually topped my 10k. Today i'm not yet at 5k, but I haven't taken the dog for a walk either. It sucks out.

Will check in on Monday... good luck folks.
  • jobell2355
    Options
    You are doing great and an inspiration to me. I start tomorrow and I think I am ready. I have a fit bit too but haven't been wearing it lately. I need to get it back on me tomorrow. I have a hard time staying off the scale. That will probably be the biggest challenge for me but I vow to do it. For the past 6 days I have stepped on the scale every day. Silly I know. Funny but at the risk of sounding like a huge alchy, the real challenge for me will be the 3 drinks a week. I do enjoy a cocktail. Thanks so much for sharing. I need the support. Have tried getting some friends in need of weight loss to join me but they won't. Very frustrating because I love sharing the struggle plus being around them ends up being a temptation.
  • Sillygirl50703
    Options
    Yep I work night shift (12 hours) so it is really challenging trying to figure when I should eat. I saved my last meal and snack for while Im at work, then I will come home and have breakfast. I also struggle with the drinking part! Not fair that this month we have our wedding anniversary and it will also be my birthday. I might have to have a skinny cow sandwich with a candle on top? That sounds so sad. I think I probably will break down and have a glass of wine (or two) for my birthday though. If Im totally sticking to the diet and exercising every single day that Im supposed to I dont think one night of cheating will make or break me. But maybe it's that attitude that got me in trouble to begin with! Girls: stay off the scale! I got on it 3 days of my first week and got so discouraged because it said I somehow gained a pound. Ugh! On my official weigh-in it was down 3 so please just stick to it. You might get all bummed out unnecessarily! Can't wait to hear how your first week turns out!
  • Sillygirl50703
    Options
    Jobell what is this fat burn thing all about?
  • jobell2355
    Options
    It was a 6 day diet that came with my power 90 DVDs (team beachbody published it along with p90x & slim in 6, etc.) it is just 6 days breakfast lunch dinner and 2 snacks per day. It maps out exactly what you eat, fruits veggies, lean meats and nothing white at all. No alcohol, sugar etc. I did have a glass of wine here and there but still managed to drop 6 lbs in 6 days. It was pretty strict but I wanted to get a little jump start. I think it averaged around 1200 cals. It requires doing a workout every day too but I only worked out 3 of the days due to a fever etc. I probably would have lost more if I'd of worked out all 6 days and not had the wine but I am happy with the results and ready to start super shred tomorrow looking forward to some oatmeal and a few grains since I've been a week without them.
  • MamawChristy
    MamawChristy Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Hi all! Just found this group. I've been on MFP since Feb 13, when I started Shred diet. It is fantastic and can't say enough about it. I have lost 30 pounds, probably could have been more if I had kept up the intensity the last couple of months. But I did 3 or for cycles of the 6 week Shred, threw in a cycle of Extreme Fat Smash also by Dr. Smith (now that's a hard one.) I had preordered Super Shred so did a sneak peek of week one and lost 5 pounds, that was before Christmas. So anyway now I am officially doing Super Shred with the book, I am on day 5. I would highly recommend to you all to go on and do the Shred 6 week plan, it is something you can do as many times as you want, and it becomes a way of eating and living after a while.

I've gone from size 18, 193 pounds to 162, size 12, and actually a few things in size 10. I got to 159 before my son's wedding in Sept., and have been maintaining around 160-163. I am so ready to Super Shred and really get this going again!! His plans really work and are flexible and fun. Let's go everybody!
  • jobell2355
    Options
    Thanks for sharing that information Christy. I am on day one of Super Shred and I am super excited about it! I did have to have my husband lock my scale in the gun safe...lol! I have no willpower for staying off the scale.:tongue:
  • Sillygirl50703
    Options
    Wow MamaChristy! That is awesome and inspiring for me! Thanks for sharing. I think we will switch to the 6 week shred once we complete the 4 week super shred. My goal is to be a sexy mama by the end of July for our vacation to Florida!
    Jobell that's hilarious you locked up the scale. I should do it too. I am working 16 hours overnight tonight so I have my cup of soup, brown rice with veggies, and 30 grapes. Hopefully that will get me through until noon tomorrow (eek). At least I get to have a pancake and a strip of bacon when I get home. I shouldnt be so excited but I am lol. I didn't exercise today. I am going to trade it out for my rest day on Tuesday instead. I WILL get it done!
    What are you guys doing for snacks? I am always up for some ideas. I pretty much copied and wrote down the snacks out of the book that we would eat and put them up on the fridge.
  • jobell2355
    Options
    Today was a hectic day for me because after my run I had to go buy a baby gift, go to the grocery & then go to the store so my snacks were kind of grab n go. I did celery with 1 tbsp of pb but I like lots of different things so I can pretty much do anything. I too am looking forward to a slice of bacon tomorrow. Here's how much I love bacon...my husband buys me a case of commercial bacon every few months. Seriously, all my friends on Facebook post bacon stuff daily it seems on my page.

I had to have that scale locked up or I would have been on it twice a day! Sounds like everyone is doing well so far. I am just starting so reading what you all are doing is so helpful! Thanks again.
  • Oh2BeMaintaining
    Oh2BeMaintaining Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone, so happy to have found this group!

We are on W1D1 today and so far I'm doing OK but I am starving and I have about 2 hours until meal 3. I am worried about how my husband is going to do but he's committed to trying it and seeing how he does with it. I logged the food we were eating today and it's under 1000 calories, he is 6'4" 300+ pounds, he won't survive for many days with that much of a deficit. I am going to have to look at the options and parameters and keep him OP but with higher calorie choices. Another problem my husband has is that he starts his day at 4, if he eats at 5 he will finish all his meals and snacks by 4PM he doesn't leave work until 6 or 7 and has an hour commute. I'm not sure how he is supposed to finish eating a 4 in the afternoon, it just seems really early!

We are celebrating our 30th anniversary in March so we are hoping to lose as much as we can before March. If I survive the first 4 weeks I'm planning to do the regular Shred program for 2 weeks and then back to Super Shred for the last 3 weeks and 6 days before we go!
  • jobell2355
    Options
    Congrats on starting. I am so happy we have this group because I couldn't get a single friend/relative who needs to lose weight to join me so I am going it alone....except now we have each other here. Like I said on the other post adjust his a bit (of course healthily) to suit your schedule and his nourishment requirements. If it says 4 ounces of chicken give him 6. My thought is, if this diet is designed to lose 5 lbs a week safely and a 300 lb man cuts his cals to 1200 he may lose 12-15. Not sure that can be safe and he may be so hungry that he quits after a week thus only losing that initial amount. But if he has, say 1600 (where he is probably eating 3000 before Super Shred) he is still gonna lose, not feel hungry and be ready for the other Shred plan at the end of 4 weeks. Either way, you guys have got to do what works for you. As far as the time schedule, start his day later. Example, instead of him starting at 8:30 have him start at 10:30 or so.

These are all just suggestions. Just my opinion. I am certainly no expert. Good luck to us all!
  • Sillygirl50703
    Options
    My husband is in the same boat. He has zero energy and he's hungry. I told him to maybe tack on an extra half of a portion for his meals? We are halfway through week 2 now. My pants are feeling looser today :) Staying OFF the scale!!!