Muscle retention - HIIT vs RT vs WT

Options
psuLemon
psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
I am hoping this group will be able to provide some insight on a topic I have been researching for quite some time; more specifically, the advantages of weight training vs HIIT vs resistance training (body weight training). In most of the articles I have seen there is either a comparison of HIIT vs LISS (low intensity steady state) or resistance training vs cardio, with limited definition of what resistance training comprises of. Because of this, I have question my recommendations to some of the questions on the main form; not because it's wrong, but rather if it's the most accurate. Generally, my suggestion of a combination of heavy weight training and HIIT. Currently, I cannot follow my own advice due to some sciatic issues. Due to these issues, I am doing P90X3 which for the most part is HIIT, flexibility training (yoga/piliates/balance) and some moderate resistance training (most would suggest cardio weights, :laugh: ).

While I understand and believe that fat loss is achieve through a deficit, I question if my like of heavy weight training will increase the amount of lean body mass loss. I will note, I am achieve .8 - 1 g of protein per day (on daily basis). While I do understand that my strength gains might not be maximized throughout the program, the benefits of improved back flexibility and improvement of sciatic issues has become my focus. Once my back feels strong, I plan on switching over to Body Beast and getting a bench to work on strength again.

TL;DR - With cardio weight programs or HIIT programs, will muscle loss increase over a conventional progressive load weight training program and mild cardio?

Thanks for bearing with my insanity

Lemon

Replies

• aweigh2go
    aweigh2go Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    In to follow...
  • fitspo145
    Options
    In to read replies!
  • MickeS
    MickeS Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    In to follow
    Currently cutting (or trying). Stuck at the same weight for almost 2 weeks. Thinking of adding bodyweight workouts or cardio/HIIT to my my Strong lifts routine
  • psuLemon
    Options
    Bump to see if there is any other insight.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Tagging, missed this post entirely.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    TL;DR - With cardio weight programs or HIIT programs, will muscle loss increase over a conventional progressive load weight training program and mild cardio?

Thanks for bearing with my insanity

Lemon

First of all let me clarify that what you're getting out of me is my opinion rather than a compilation of research that I've read (because at this point I haven't, although I did go through the links you provided).

When you're making the comparison between something like P90 and a more traditional resistance program with additional cardio as needed, I'd like to know a few things:

1) Are we comparing two trained athletes or are we taking people straight off the couch?

2) Does P90 incorporate progressive loading continually?

I'd hate to make judgments about it without knowing specifics, but for example I would expect that since it is more of a hybrid program, you're probably not continually loading a barbell over time (or DB, etc).

This is just more of an aside, but I think with regards to body-weight programming and other modalities of training that have limited progressive loading capacity, you could certainly take an untrained individual and they are going to get benefits from this.

What I would question is how far you can take something like this. At some point if you can no longer increase loading then you're having to increase volume or density (or alter the exercise to make it more challenging). I would guess that you're going to hit a wall somewhere where you're forced to make changes that take the exercise out of the rep range you'd like to be in for hypertrophy adaptations. I don't know if these random thoughts are useful to anyone, I'm sort of just spewing thoughts out at this point.

Now in any of the above if I'm misunderstanding the programming with P90 or with BW training then someone should correct me. My impression of it though, is that the progressive loading in each of these has limitations that aren't present in barbell training.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    1. I am comparing a normal person to include off the couch and moderately trained athletes (for example, I am a former ice hockey player, I am black belt in taekwondo, etc..). For me, those programs, while difficult and exhausted, are not impossible. As compared to some of my friends, I am quite advanced. Many of them cannot make it through the programs.

2. It depends on the program. Currently, I am doing P90X3. Below is a link of the moves, but this is more of a cardio resistance program that we normally discuss. In a case like X3, you aren't doing progress loads where you will continually lift heavier. Many of them moves, you will use the same weight to achieve failure. 90% of the reps fall in the 8-12 range. So you are lifting heavy enough to fail. As the program progresses, you can add more weight. In many cases, you can use 3-4 different weights for the whole program. Overall, the program has 2-3 days of resistance training and cardio/yoga/pilates/flexibility the other three. The way I view these workouts is they are good calorie burners and designed or some strength gains and increased flexibility.

If I want a true progressive load program, I will have to move towards body beast (which I have as well). BB incorporates drop sets, single sets, double sets and giant set (link # 2). In fact, between the nutrition guide and techniques, I believe Body Beast is beachbody's best overall program and one of my personal favorites. This would be closer aligned to a strong lift or beginner lift (or a bit more advanced than those). They recommend a ez curl bar and bench but have options for free weights and reinforced yoga ball (I use the latter for now until I have more room to by a curl bar and bench). I currently don't do this program due to sciatic nerve issues that flares up with heavy weight training (especially lower body). In fact the main reason I am doing X3 is because it has a lot of flexibility training which has been improving my back issues. I do plan on going back to BB once I get to a lower body fat range... possibly do a bulk once I see my results.

p90x3 - http://www.teambeachbody.com/home/-/dl_get_file/9bed6c1b-b6b2-4cd6-9f4c-621b908bb7eb

Body Beast - http://images.beachbody.com/pdf/bodybeast/BEAST_worksheet.pdf

With this said, I completely understand in terms of strength and overall benefit, body beast would be the best. It's 5 days of lifting (45- 60 sec rest intervals) and 1 day of cardio weights. But as mentioned above, I have to lay off of it for a few months until I get enough strength and flexibility in my back.

Overall, my goal is to preserve muscle mass and lose fat. And as much as I research, I have seen many studies that mention resistance training (loosely defined to what it really means) and HIIT/HIIE can improve muscle retention due to it being a load bearing exercise as compared to LISS.

This is why I reached out. I would love to get your thoughts and I appreciate the time.