Books and Podcasts

Options
SkimFlatWhite68
SkimFlatWhite68 Posts: 1,254 Member
What health and fitness books and/or podcasts do you listen to?

When I started along this fat loss journey, I found some great podcasts and I still listen to them every day on my commute to work. I find that it's easy to put my earphones in and listen, and the fact that it's health related keeps my mind on focus of what I want to achieve. I don't always agree with what I hear, but it's good to keep an open mind and learn.

I've also read a fair amount of books on the topic, and thought it might be a good idea if we share our favourites, so that others can benefit..

BOOKS:

The Body Fat Solution - Tom Venuto
Burn the Fat, Feed the Muscle - Tom Venuto (can't recommend his books enough, he is awesome)
The Primal Blueprint - Mark Sisson
The Smarter Science of Slim - Jonathan Bailor (think it is now out of print)
The Calorie Myth - Jonathan Bailor (love it love it love it)
Brain Grain - Dr David Perlmutter (this is a fantastic book and every time I think of it I swear I'm not having gluten again)
Wheat Belly - Dr William David (another goody)
The Paleo Solution - Robb Wolf
Why we get fat and what to do about it - Gary Taubes
Fitness Confidential - Vinnie Tortorich (more of an autobiography, but an interesting read)
Stronglifts 5x5 - Mehdi
The New Rules of Lifting for Women - Schuler; Forsythe; Cosgrove
Drop Two Sizes - Rachel Cosgrove
Goals and Objectives - Gary Vurnum
Fifty Shades of ... LOL :blushing:

PODCASTS:

The Calorie Myth - Jonathan Bailor (I listen to these every single day)
The Fat Burning Man Show - Abel James
Evidence Radio (was Impruvism) - Arme Legg
The Rdella Training Podcast - Strength Training
The Livin' La Vida Low-Carb Show - Jimmy Moore
Ask Leigh: Common Sense Advice for Exceptional Bodies - Leigh Peele (no longer in production but good if you can get the old episodes to listen to)
The Jillian Michaels Show (believe it or not she is quite funny and it's not what I expected)

Podcast Search: Tom Venuto and listen to anything from him. Also Dr David Perlmutter and Dr William Davis - instead of getting their books, they give a lot of guest interviews and it is fascinating stuff.

So that is my list of favourites. What are yours?

Replies

• SkimFlatWhite68
    Options
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/

Just thought I would add this link to Lyle McDonald's site as well. Heaps of FANTASTIC information here on:

Fat Loss Fundamentals
    Diets and Dieting
    Psychology of Fat Loss
    Nutrition Fundamentals
    Macros
    Training for Muscle Gain and/or Strength
    Cardio

If you didn't use another resource, this would be all you need to have a good basis for losing fat and getting lean.
  • mmk137
    mmk137 Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    my book list is similar to yours.

I will add
    Melissa & Dallas Hatwig - It starts with food
    Dianne Sanfillipo - Practical Paleo

podcasts
    The paleo view
    Balance Bites
    The paleo runner
    Underground Wellness
    SSOS

websites
    nomnompaleo
    thepaleomom
    paleoparents
    blogilates

they are just some i can think of off the top of my head.
  • SkimFlatWhite68
    Options
    Thanks Matilda!! I forgot all about Underground Wellness and Balanced Bites!! Good ones.

I'll check the others out as well. Thanks!
  • wahelga
    wahelga Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    BOOKS:
    An end to over eating by David Kessler (great insight into the food industry and how food is now manufactured to be 'addictive')
    Strong women stay .. (includes Strong, Young, Slim. Might be more by now, I have Strong). Really good for very unfit or elderly but also sets up great habits to ensure a long, healthy life
    The China Study: The Most Comprehensive Study of Nutrition Ever Conducted And the Startling Implications for Diet, Weight Loss, And Long-term Health by T. Colin Campbell

PODCASTS:
    Impruvism
    The Jillian Michaels Show (Love her!)
    Fitness Behaviour - great NZ podcast from a PT/ironman who wanted a show for people starting to get healthy. Great motivation / psychology tips etc
    Wellness Guys - sometimes I love them, sometimes they annoy me, check them out and see if they suit you
    You, Me and the GP - I'm new to this one but liked the 2 I have listened too
  • wahelga
    Options
    It won't let me edit my above post but another great book is The Blue Zones by Dan Buettner. He also has a website www.BlueZones.com
  • donnam40
    donnam40 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    For beginner lifters New Rules of Lifting for Women or NROL4Life. Fantastic programs.
  • candirose69
    Options
    woah! thats a lot of books and podcasts...
    If I could only afford one or two which would you ladies say are the must reads?
  • wahelga
    Options
    Depends what you are interested in - nutrition, general fitness, muscle building/weight lifting, building a healthy life.
    But podcasts are free so maybe start there :smile:
  • nicoleisback
    Options
    Is new rules of lifting for women good for a beginner with very little equipment (I just have a lightweight dumbbell and barbell set)?
  • SkimFlatWhite68
    Options
    Candi, podcasts are free, my all time favourite is Jonathan Bailor, Smarter Science of Slim.. Now called The calorie Myth.

Best book (for me) without a doubt is Tom Venuto Burn the Fat, Feed the Muscle. Covers diet and exercise. Tom is awesome. He released this as an iBook about 10 years ago, it is now updated and in print. I just got the new one, love it love it love it.

Nicole, NROLFW should be ok with what you have, I can't remember offhand. I think the important thing is just to do SOME resistance training. Just start. You can also do a lot with body weight exercises. Squats, lunges and push-ups are a good start for anyone, and only require a very small amount of floor space.

One more thing... There is NO reason that a woman should train differently to a man. We are humans and have the same muscles. So get into it and burn FAT from your body, keep any Lean Body Mass (LBM) (muscle) you have, it will keep your metabolism running and give you a much better body when you get to goal.

Another reason... When you are old, it will help if you are able to clean and press your own suitcase into the overhead locker when travelling :smile:

Oh, another good one: Nia Shanks.. Lift like a girl. Google her, she has a LOT of free resources on her website. She is fabulous!
  • mmk137
    Options
    Is new rules of lifting for women good for a beginner with very little equipment (I just have a lightweight dumbbell and barbell set)?

imo no, you'd be better off doing the program if you had access to a gym.
  • nicoleisback
    Options

imo no, you'd be better off doing the program if you had access to a gym.

Thanks for the heads up.

Does anyone know of a good book/reference I can use with light/minimal equipment? I cannot really afford much in the way of equipment at the moment as I am saving up for my wedding (which is what I am slimming down for). I have dumbbells and a barbell each of which can go up to 20kg.

Can anyone also point me towards resources going over the best ways to combine cardio and weights? I have always struggled with cardio. I have just started a couch to 5k program, but would like to know of any programs to combine this with weights, or even anyone's experiences would be great :)
  • candirose69
    Options
    I have 'you are your own gym" which is body strength training (no equipment needed)
    I also have the Jillian Michael's DVD's (ripped in 30 and 30 day shred) which is a combo of cardio and strength and uses hand weights :)
  • jackielou867
    jackielou867 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Nicole when I first started exercising I found a few sites just on the internet, some good, some not so good. I liked a girl called Laura London on u tube who had some simple routines under a half hour that you can do at home with out a lot of equipment.
    I just googled this is has 50 barbell exercises with little animations of how to do them. If you are going to use weights it is really important you do the exercises properly to avoid injury and to get full benefit. They have dumbells on here too. In fact I am so impressed I just saved it to favourites :-)

http://barbell-exercises.com/exercises/index.html
  • SkimFlatWhite68
    Options
    Nicole, my suggestion for combining weights/cardio for you would be to do resistance training 3 times a week with a full body routine and cardio on the other days.

Include the big 5 exercises:

Squats
    Deadlifts
    Chest Press
    Shoulder Press
    Barbell Row

You could start all these with your current weights up to 20kg. At first, start with the lightest weight, if you can do 3 sets of 15 repetitions, add an extra weight increment for the next training session. Do 3 sets of 8-15 every time, and when you get to 15 repetitions, increase the weight again. Keep a book so you can record what you are doing each workout.

You can get a box of resistance bands for about $30 at Rebel or other sports stores and they are really good for resistance training and don't take up much space, are not heavy and you can take them to a park and do sprints in between sets as well.

If you need help with technique, have a look at www.bodybuilding.com or watch MaxsMuscle TV on channel TV4me, not sure what night, but it's a good show (and perve) LOL.

Follow your weight training up with a 15-30 minute walk.

On the "off" days - do your cardio. 30 minutes HIIT is good, but if you want to do an exercise DVD or whatever takes your fancy, go for it. Or walking is great, an hour a day at a good pace will get you up around 8-10,000 steps (depends how fast you walk).

That's my suggestion!!

Good luck - you have a fantastic reason to get into shape - your wedding!!!
  • sami_83
    sami_83 Posts: 161
    Options
    Stupid question time. :embarassed: How do I get podcasts? Is this an iphone thing? I have a Galaxy. Or is it an internet thing?
  • SkimFlatWhite68
    Options
    Hey Sam, I don't know!!! I have iPhone, iPad and iTunes and so I just go to the podcasts APP and search and download them. I think Android still have podcasts, you probably need to download the app first and then do a search... Maybe???
  • sami_83
    Options
    No worries! I am sure there's an equivalent. I will have a search around the Play Store and see what I can find :)
  • mmk137
    Options
    Stupid question time. :embarassed: How do I get podcasts? Is this an iphone thing? I have a Galaxy. Or is it an internet thing?

if you go to said site you can download the mp3 and put it in your phone. Some also use stitcher which I think there is an app for.
  • sami_83
    Options
    Thanks mmk137! I searched for an app and found one so I downloaded some Jillian Michaels podcasts to get me started. It worked and now I am happily venturing into podcast-land :) I don't listen to stuff at home so I play them in the car to and from work because I can just connect my phone to the stereo via bluetooth. Perfect. Now that I'm no longer a noob I will search for some more recommended podcasts :drinker: thanks guys!