Moderation/"Treats"

Options
amina_a10
amina_a10 Posts: 75 Member
A challenge for myself this year is to be able to practice moderation and occasionally indulge without going way overboard. Just wondering if others have similar goals and how you all plan on being successful. I had two treats last week while on vacation, and it was good because I was in a restaurant setting, so couldn't eat a whole pint of ice cream after a few bites made me want more. We have a family birthday celebration in a few weeks that I am hoping I can enjoy a small sliver of cake and call it a day, but I am worried! Last family function, I ended up eating about half the cake (in secret, of course). How do you all practice moderation? I have been spot on with my eating this week and it feels great. I worry that if I continue to eat so healthy that I will eventually crack and go crazy, so I'd like to ideally treat myself once every few weeks. Would love everyone's thoughts on "moderation".

Replies

• soupandcookies
    soupandcookies Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I am so on the fence about this. On the one hand, I feel like moderation is absolutely key to not feeling deprived. On the other hand, I know that every time i eat sugar, I end up at least WANTING to eat everything that's not nailed down. One day, I think I should never eat sugar again. The next day, I'm telling myself I can eat anything and everything in moderation.

I'd love to hear other's thoughts on this...
  • rebeccas207
    Options
    I feel like I can't have just 5 cookies.... I eat the whole package, does anyone else find that they have to avoid these foods completely. I don't think I'm capable of moderation with certain foods!
  • waffletops
    waffletops Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I'm also not able to eat naughty foods in moderation, and need to avoid them.
    If I start a packet of cookies or a bar of chocolate then I need to finish the whole lot in one sitting, otherwise I start the next day nibbling on the ones I left behind.

I have to be really strict with myself all the time, but it does take the enjoyment out of eating and enjoying food, don't you think ?
    Too much self control can't be good for the mind and the body in the long run.

I think you should be able to allow yourself a treat or cheat day without beating yourself up about it, and as long as you've planned it, it shouldn't turn into a full blown binge.
  • zamara1114
    zamara1114 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hmm.... I'm on the fence as well. In my ED therapy, they tell me any food I restrict will set me up for a binge. I definitely saw this with carbs when I tried to go Paleo over the summer! But our bodies need carbs, whereas we really don't need refined sugar, and that's one of the foods I binge on because I can't differentiate hunger from cravings. The last two weeks I've mostly been avoiding sugar and alcohol and I haven't had any binges. I know salt is a trigger as well. I guess it comes down to figuring out what works for each of us individually. Some people need a daily treat, or a cheat day, in order to stay on track the rest of the time. For me personally, avoiding it as much as possible means it's not a habit or something I think (or obsess) about. I prefer to avoid sweets, chips, crackers, etc, all together than have to force myself to stop after just having a little bit (I'm never satisfied with just one). My therapist keeps warning me about avoiding entire food groups, but I tried moderation for two months and gained 15 pounds! Now that I'm back to avoiding sugar and simple carbs, I'm finally losing again. I guess for now I'll keep avoiding as much as possible, but prepare myself to not beat myself up when I inevitably have some.
  • amina_a10
    Options
    Best of luck, everyone! It sounds like we all have similar opinions on this. I have been eating super clean these last few weeks and feel amazing. I don't crave the things I was bingeing on before - mainly just carbs of any kind. I am obviously still eating carbs, but having cut all white carbs out of my diet has truly eliminated my craving for them. From what I'm reading, we all want to be able to enjoy in moderation, but know that it won't work for us! Wouldn't it be so nice to enjoy things and be able to stop after a normal portion... All part of the healing process, I suppose. We can do this, friends! I think what I will try to do is get the things I plan on enjoying in moderation in a single serving. Ie, one of those individual haagen dasz, etc! Perhaps this will work. The family birthday party in a few weeks will be a challenge, but I will make it work!
  • Ecampbell64
    Ecampbell64 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I am on the same page with you all. I do better generally avoiding high sugar treats. Alcohol I seem to be okay with but only one glass of wine or one mixed drink with sugar-free mixers.

If we have multiple servings of a treat around the house, I sometimes ask my husband to hide it. I thought this was really weird behavior until I mentioned it at a lunch table of women I worked with. Several said, oh yes that's what we do at my house too. What a realization. And this was a group of what I considered "normal" eaters!
  • amina_a10
    Options
    If we have multiple servings of a treat around the house, I sometimes ask my husband to hide it. I thought this was really weird behavior until I mentioned it at a lunch table of women I worked with. Several said, oh yes that's what we do at my house too. What a realization. And this was a group of what I considered "normal" eaters!

Totally agree that "hiding" food helps! That's reassuring to know that even "normal" eaters do that! What I've found helpful for me is to have a cabinet of "my" foods. I put all of the food I know I can eat in there and that way the other food is off-limits (at least in large quantities)

Well, this week may be hard... My brother found a bunch of unheard of ghiradelli flavors that he's bringing over tomorrow! I want to indulge in a piece or two, but at the same time I don't. Who knows.
  • amina_a10
    Options
    Just wanted to share - my brother brought over the ghirardelli chocolates today. I initially had no intention to eat any but my eating has been spot on for the past two weeks. I indulged in almost four squares. It is interesting, I immediately wanted to eat more. I just got the munchies. So that's an observation I made. I'm chewing gum now and will eat lunch in a few hours. Lots of cals but worth it because it was a yummy treat.
  • zamara1114
    zamara1114 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Wow Amina! Good job! It's one thing to resist the treats completely - but to have some in moderation is an even bigger accomplishment (I think!). I can imagine avoiding them completely, but stopping after a reasonable amount would've been really difficult for me. Learning to enjoy treats in moderation is an ultimate goal for a lot of us, and it looks like you're well on your way! And the big take-away is you know you can do it, which will be great to keep in mind for the next (inevitable) time you have the opportunity to enjoy a treat. Way to go chica!