Should I be upping my calories?

Options
So I'm doing Atkins Induction but counting my calories. I haven't lost anything and I am eating at about 1400 cals. Should I up my calories or what? p.s if you look at my food diary discredit the past 2 days - I have been stress eating.

Replies

• ChaoticMiNd
    ChaoticMiNd Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I'm not on Atkins anymore, but when I was, I ate and ate. I never counted calories. It takes a minute for the weight loss to get started, but when it does....whewww.
  • steffipaulina
    Options
    I'm not on Atkins anymore, but when I was, I ate and ate. I never counted calories. It takes a minute for the weight loss to get started, but when it does....whewww.

Were you overweight? I can't seem to lose. I'm wondering if this program is better suited for overweight people.
  • jennibear22
    jennibear22 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I am currently on low carb.. not doing induction as just trying to reduce my carbs to less than 60 grams a day.. but I finding it really difficult to get anywhere near my daily allowance of 1400. I am regularly below 1000 which I am worried about but cannot seem to bring it up without feeling sick or increasing my carb intake even more.
  • GiGiBeans
    GiGiBeans Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    You should have lost with dropping your carbs so low. Some people experience stalls or slow loss with too much dairy though and you are eating more dairy than recommended for induction.

Also, prepared stuff like sugar cured bacon, whipped cream you don't make, salad dressing etc under reports carbs. Like if a serving is 1T they can report .9 carbs as zero. Plus there is a an allowed margin of error on top of that.

Hard to say how many cals you need - depends on your height/weight/activity. Generally your weight times 10 gets results is a good place to start and move up or down from there. Allow at least 10 days and maybe more depending where you are at in your monthly cycle.
  • tunesntea
    Options
    I am currently on low carb.. not doing induction as just trying to reduce my carbs to less than 60 grams a day.. but I finding it really difficult to get anywhere near my daily allowance of 1400. I am regularly below 1000 which I am worried about but cannot seem to bring it up without feeling sick or increasing my carb intake even more.

I'm really having the same problem. Every few days I'm going to make myself eat more. I have coconut oil that has good fats and very high in calories. If I have to add much more to my eggs, I will do that to help.
  • tunesntea
    Options
    I'm posting to let you know that I was well under my calories for a few days and finally started seeing circles under my eyes and got really tired and run down and not feeling well. I upped my calories yesterday to where they should be and took one day off exercising and I still lost (point) .2lbs. I just wanted to share that even if you're not hungry, it may catch up with you as it did me, I'd rather feel really good!
  • steffipaulina
    Options
    I looked back at my food diary and have cut out dairy and processed meats. I'm prepping my food for the week today and I'm going to keep everything super basic and clean.

B/F: Coconut oil and coffee with cream

Lunch: Tuna salad lettuce wrap with side of veg

Supper: 2 oz limz beans 2 oz chicken with cabbage and cauliflower

Snacks: sugar free jello, veggies, 85% dark chocolate

Considering I am not very active right now (it's winter and I won't have a gym membership) this should hold me over and produce some sort of a loss for the week.
  • QuilterInVA
    QuilterInVA Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    We can't use winter as an excuse to not exercise and not having a gym membership is no excuse either. There are so many free exercise videos available that not exercising is just being lazy.
  • steffipaulina
    Options
    We can't use winter as an excuse to not exercise and not having a gym membership is no excuse either. There are so many free exercise videos available that not exercising is just being lazy.

I'm doing at home workouts, thanks!
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    I looked back at my food diary and have cut out dairy and processed meats. I'm prepping my food for the week today and I'm going to keep everything super basic and clean.

Considering I am not very active right now (it's winter and I won't have a gym membership) this should hold me over and produce some sort of a loss for the week.

How many calories do you normally eat Steffipaulina? Also, how many calories in what you listed?

Do you find its harder or easier to eat low carb and keep low calorie?

I find it so much hardèr to keep the calories down with low carb!

And that seems counter to what everyone writes about the atkins diet!
  • steffipaulina
    Options

How many calories do you normally eat Steffipaulina? Also, how many calories in what you listed?

Do you find its harder or easier to eat low carb and keep low calorie?

I find it so much hardèr to keep the calories down with low carb!

And that seems counter to what everyone writes about the atkins diet!

Hey!
    I changed my diet again. I found I was hungrier eating more calories than I am now. Right now I am eating about 1200-1400 depending on my activity and I am satisfied. When I was doing low carb a couple weeks back I could EASILY eat 1500 without working out and still be hungry.

It helped my get over my slight carb addiction I was starting to get. Now I'm just making sure I do my at home workouts and I'm eating in moderation - I'm also weighing all my food now.

Personally, I feel like atkins is good for people that have a LOT of weight to lose. You're supposed to eat,eat,eat on Induction, and I don't want to do that. It's just not for me. And I also ended up thinking about carbs a lot more than I normally would. That being said - I still keep my diet very low sugar and clean.
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    Thanks,

you sound so level headed!

I think you might be correct about the atkins.

I do find i am eating more calories than i have for many years.

But so many people say that is not important and that only the carbs count.

So I still dont really know.
  • steffipaulina
    Options
    Well, everyone is different. It might be great for you. I don't know how much weight you want to lose or what your goals are.

Personally, I have a very minimal amount of I am trying to lose then I am going to be focusing on gaining muscle so - I'm just doing to the old fashioned way. But I feel like if you need to lose like 20 lbs it would be great.

I think it's always good to try something out for a bit. If you're body adapts well and you're losing, then keep going and if not try something else. :)
  • hello_kitty3
    hello_kitty3 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I'm actually having a hard time getting enough calories in with induction. I guess because I tend to eat turkey and chicken more than red meat and bacon. I've been counting calories so long its hard for me to eat high calorie food, but I'm not ever really hungry but I'm only on day 4. Everybody is different though, good luck in your journey!