When do you work out?

Options
eleeseeC
eleeseeC Posts: 21 Member
If you work full time, when do you work out? This is always a huge challenge for me, because on the weekdays, i don't want to spend more time away from the kids. I don't take a lunch break, so that I can leave earlier and by the time the kids go to bed, I have about 1.5 hours to do everything that I can't get done when they are awake and I am exhausted.

Just curious what other working moms do. I already get up at 5:00 AM and both of my kids sense the change in the air as soon as I put one foot out of my bed and wake up immediately.

Replies

• nisems
    nisems Posts: 9
    Options
    I haven't figured this one out yet. Can you do a quick 15 minute walk at work a couple of times a day? Or do a walk/hike with the kids on the weekends? I know the weather out your way probably isn't conducive to that right now, but just some ideas to get moving. Maybe until the weather gets better you can just try to add extra steps to your day; park farther, take the stairs, etc? Sorry, I don't think I've been much help.
  • jarbatz
    jarbatz Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Right now, I never do. I am in the same boat, although I don't get up at 5 AM. I get up at 5:45 and from there, I am either working or tending to the kids until 9 PM and then like you, I have until bedtime to A)do housework and B)just chill out. I usually opt for B, stay up too late doing said Option B and then am too tired to get up any earlier than my normal 5:45 start.

Even if I didn't have housework to do though, there is no way in hell I'm working out at 9 PM. Not a snowball's chance in hell.

So my only option is to get up earlier and do it, which means I have to go to bed basically after Brenna goes down (8:30-9). And that means, I see Mike for a total of 20 mins. Weekends I could pretty much sneak away for 30-45 mins to squeeze something in.
  • jarbatz
    jarbatz Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I agree with Denise that even a little bit helps. I read recently that it is just as beneficial to get several short workouts in than one longer session. And that you should get up and walk for 10 minutes ever 2 hours. I know that might not be doable for a lot of people but I think it does make a difference. I have noticed that since wearing my fitbit I am more conscientious of taking stairs when I can, taking the long way to the restrooms, etc. and by the end of the day, my numbers are higher.
  • eleeseeC
    eleeseeC Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I've been wearing a pedometer for the last year (my company has an incentive program) and it does help me be more aware of my steps, but it doesn't make a huge difference in my overall activity. It's a little easier in summer when it is light out obviously, but winter just does not inspire me to get outside or even get in my car and go to the gym at 9:00 at night.
  • kristelrobin
    kristelrobin Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I agree that the fitbit is motivating to get little bits of extra movement in here and there. I found myself jogging in place in my room last night!

I have only been able to consistently exercise in the morning (in the past), because at night, I'm generally too tired and unmotivated. I do have my weekly ice skating class at 7 pm Wednesdays, so something like that, a class I paid for, I will do at night. I've been trying to get morning exercise started again, and I did go to the gym this morning. But unlike so many of you, I don't get up until 6:30, and I do leave it to DH to get the kids ready and out the door on my gym mornings. I just started, and I'm only planning 2 gym days a week (during the work week) for now, so we'll see how it goes for the long term.

On the weekend, it's easier, because both DH and I can go and the kids can go to kids club there, or we can take turns.