For those taking Spironolactone

Options
I asked my doctor about Spironolactone, and he willingly gave it to me for PCOS/hair issues, about 8 months ago.
I haven't taken it though, because I read the leaflet included and read that it could "voice deepening" :noway: I am really self conscious of my voice as it is, I really do not want it any deeper. ... So, has anyone who's taken this noticed this effect?

Also, I just googled about it and found other references too saying how it could cause an opposite reaction and cause you to grow more hair? :huh:

Some days I just feel like I'd be better off "out of it", I really can't cope with all these issues. :mad:

Replies

• truddy6647
    truddy6647 Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    my dr refused to give me that and stated that it didn't work well.....told me there wasn't much besides electrolysis or laser hair removal however even that doesn't work well either for PCOS due to hormone issues
  • valheid
    valheid Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I have been taking Spironolactone since July. I have not noticed any changes in my voice. I have also not noticed any changes in the facial hair. I am on a low dose (25 mg) and I am supposed to reevaluate later in the month with my Doctor.
  • MeepleMuppet
    MeepleMuppet Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I was readily prescribed it in November when I told my doctor that I spent upwards of an hour a day tweezing facial hair. She acted like it was a no-brainer but then said "keep in mind, it doesn't work miracles". Others in this forum have mentioned that it takes anywhere from 3 months to a half year to see results. Here's what I know:

- It does not interact with my other medication, which is extremely picky, so that was encouraging
    - I was started on 25 mg as well, twice a day, with no scheduled followup which means it's not terribly expensive (my dr is really conscientious about cost).
    - As for effectiveness, I have noticed a difference when I am able to take each pill at the exact same time every day. I'm not in a solid routine with it yet so I think my results have been up and down.

Another thing to keep in mind - those side effects are questions asked of study participants. Lower voice is a weird one. Unless it says "permanent damage", I would say if you actually notice a difference then just stop taking it. Following others on this forum, a more likely side effect will be sweating.
  • JustMeee333
    Options
    I checked them this morning, and I'd been given 100mg. Seems like quite a high first dosage.
    I'd thought I'd lose the weight then get them to recheck my blood work, and see how things go then before deciding wether to take them. If it was just a case of being able to stop taking them and have everything go back to normal I guess that'd be ok.

Thanks for your opinions.
  • Quiche867
    Quiche867 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I take 100mg Spironolactone a day. I have labs done every so often to see if I'm having any potassium issues. I've been taking it for about 6 months now. I really haven't had much side effects other than peeing more. My voice has not changed a bit. I have noticed that my hair loss on my head has stopped dramatically and started to regrow. I also have noticed unwanted hair slowing as well. ~Hope that helps! :happy:
  • JustMeee333
    Options
    I take 100mg Spironolactone a day. I have labs done every so often to see if I'm having any potassium issues. I've been taking it for about 6 months now. I really haven't had much side effects other than peeing more. My voice has not changed a bit. I have noticed that my hair loss on my head has stopped dramatically and started to regrow. I also have noticed unwanted hair slowing as well. ~Hope that helps! :happy:
    That helps alot actually, thank you! I too suffer with the hair loss from the head. With all the water I drink already if I peed anymore, I may as well live in the toilet lol.
  • LoyalAngel16
    LoyalAngel16 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I have been on it for 3 years or more now. No voice changes. I have noticed a big difference in the hair growth. It takes 6 months for it to start showing. After a year is when I was really able to tell. I still shave my face regularly but don't get the 5 oclock shadow at noon anymore. It's been awesome.
  • livcurious
    livcurious Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Wait, there's a medication that can help with the hair loss on the head? Seriously?
  • LoyalAngel16
    LoyalAngel16 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Biotin is good with hair loss
  • angelarose111
    angelarose111 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I stopped taking it because it made me incontinent (leaking pee) and sometimes constipated because it dehydrated me. Plus, some days I think my electrolytes would be off and I would have a mental fog. I was only on it for 3 months.
  • alicebot
    alicebot Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with PCOS in 2009 and hypothyroid in 2012. Both can lead to hirutism. I have been on metformin and BCP since 09 and levothyroxine in 2012. I had really bad acne when I was diagnose in 09 but all this medication made my skin really dry and hence no more acne. I also have eczema that gives me really dry skin. Now suddenly after four years, I got a real bad cystic acne on my chin. And I am going back to my country after three years for MY wedding reception for crying out loud :(
    I was really upset and now my derm has given me spironolactone!
    I am worried about these things:
    1. does it cause any mood swings?
    2. Would I gain any weight.(BCP did that to me)
  • future_cpa
    future_cpa Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    After taking it for four month I didn't notice any effects positive or negative. I stopped after discussing with my doctor that it's not supposed to stop facial hair growth or increase hair growth on my head. The medicine is supposed to stop the progress of the facial hair or male pattern baldness.