Weight Training- kinda new?

Options
I'm 26 years old- back into the daily routine of working out and living a healthy lifestyle. Looking for friends to keep me accountable and vice-versa. I strength train 5 out of 6 days I work out and do a little cardio. BUT i'm still new to the strength training scheme. Looking for someone who can give me some pointers!!

Always looking for new people to add!:happy:

Replies

• pmd15098
    pmd15098 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I am 23 yrs old and also hold a healthy lifestyle. I want to be strong and toned and lose fat. I am looking for people to add as well. But I am with ya KaylaMack0215 I would love to learn how to properly and effectively weight train.
  • hananah89
    hananah89 Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    I had someone show me correct technique, but you can find videos on youtube showing correct form. I do the Stronglifts program (although I'm taking a break due to life right now and MISS IT). I'm a member of the SLs for women group on here as well and they will gladly look at your form videos and give pointers. happy lifting! (and anyone can add me too if they like)
  • freak4iron
    freak4iron Posts: 995 Member
    Options
    Hey bud! Just shot ya F/R. Been lifting since highschool and love to share advise/ wisdom
  • sherenalb
    Options
    Strength training 101:
    Do not exercise the same muscles every day. Alternate muscle days so you do not cause injury and allow your muscles to recover!
    If you are doing heavy, strenuous lifting routine - make sure you give your body some protein after (like a shake or glass of chocolate milk)
    If you do sets of 10-12 reps... the last couple reps should be difficult (but bearable) of each set.

Hope I shared something you didn't already know :)
    I actually post a lot about strength training, exercise, and motivation on my FB page for friends and family - so feel free to like my page:) I also come on here and give people advice as well.

-Sherena
    https://www.facebook.com/shakeologyfitspiration
  • kjohn8911
    kjohn8911 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I'm 24 and not very experienced in strength training either. I really dislike max weight sessions (and going from machine to machine in the weight room) as opposed to cardio exercises, so the way I've been motivated to start is by joining a group class.

I tried out Les Mills BodyPump, and I really like it because it low weight, high repetition. The instructor I have often comments about how to correct form, so I feel safer than if I tried to do it by myself. It is also choreographed to music, so for me it makes it a bit more fun. If it is offered in your area then I highly recommend it!

http://w3.lesmills.com/global/en/classes/bodypump/about-bodypump/

I'm guessing that incorporating heavier weight is also important in strength training, but if you need someplace to start then I hope that helps!

-Kara
  • PeaceLoveTrees
    PeaceLoveTrees Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I'm new to it too, but feel free to add me (anyone)!

I am currently doing the Les Mills Combat program and go to a weight training class at my YMCA once a week. I also got a barbel for xmas so I'm really excited to really push it!

Some things I've picked up in class have already been said, make sure you rotate the muscle groups you work out. And if you have any issues with being sore a good epson salt bath will do wonders! I've also started taking an MTM supplement, it's the main ingredient in recovery drinks/supplements but I found it on a vitamin site for much much cheaper by itself.