Gluten Intolorant and Sleeve, Any on have and advice?

Options
I had an idea for the past couple years that I had Gluten Issues but I was trying to get everything else in my life on track and get my weight down. I have Diabetes (Insulin dependent), fibromyalgia, chronic fatigue, RA, OA & Psoriatic arthritis and a few other issues. Well now 1 year after Gastric Sleeve surgery and 93lbs down I am having enough issues with the Gluten that my Dr says I need to go Gluten Free.

Does anyone have any experience with these issues and have any words of wisdom you'd be willing to share?
Also I know there are a butt load of sites out there that have GF recipes, but what im having issues finding are places to get GOOD & CORRECT information about it and about all the new and different flours out there and other ingredients that I will now need to use. I live in a small town and there aren't many "Health" food stores to get info from. I would love to hear any help you are willing to offer to make this easier and less confusing for me. katrina_thatsme@hotmail.com Thank you in advance :}

Katrina

Replies

• Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    I pretty much gave up ground grains after my sleeve, especially wheat. Foods made of ground grains were my Kryptonite foods and the reason I was morbidly obese in the first place. Grinding any grain into a flour increases its glycemic index. Sure you can switch to cornbread, potato gnocchi and rice noodles to prevent celiac symptoms but you will still blow up your blood sugar. I would recommend you stick to whole grains. Wild rice, buckwheat, quinoa, millet, etc cooked in broth. Don't know if you have a Big Lots in your area but they often have Bob's Red Mill whole grain products for great prices
  • MiniMeWannaBe71
    Options
    I have been finding out that Gluten is in ALOT of stuff. Gum, Medicines, toothpaste many processed food. It's amazing really.
  • sara7860
    Options
    I'm going gluten free myself after reading all the things it can effect. It's in soooooo many things but I've been pretty surprised what all can be found that's gluten free. I read that there are some apps out that will actually scan barcodes that will then tell you if it's gluten free or not but I haven't found it yet. If I find it I will post back on it. Oh I have a friend who told me that coconut flour is her go to for gluten free...in her opinion it works the best but I haven't tried it yet.
  • kmbrly1128
    kmbrly1128 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I just have the sleeve and am finding that milk and wheat bother me more than they did before, so I am slowly getting rid of the gluten and trying to go whole foods only. It will take awhile to get rid of it in your system don't do it all at once because then it won't last. I have tried doing it that way and only found failure. This time around as things are getting finished I replace them with gluten free. Don't let the cost get to you because there are a lot of name brand products that are gluten free just check out their web pages to find out. Don't buy in bulk until you know for sure you like it, amazon has great prices on bulk and mostly has free shipping.
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    I am not GF as small amounts of gluten don't seem to affect me as they would someone who suffers from celiac's... BUT I don't eat wheat from obvious sources such as breads, pastas, gravies, etc.. I still eat oats and barley which both are sources of gluten and I've been known to indulge in the occasional piece of fried chicken which is coated in flour... but other than that, I steer clear. Going wheat free is AWESOME with the sleeve for many reasons. It's so much easier for me to stick with wheat free since my sleeve than it was before because my hunger and cravings are reduced and I no longer feel the need to "fill up" on pastas and breads, heck, I barely even eat rice, rice noodles, oats or corn anymore either! I went wheat-free (mostly.. like I said, I still get small amounts occasionally) six or so months prior to surgery and since then, I've experienced the following.. Joint pain in my hands and feet is totally gone.. joint pain in my knees is reduced by maybe 85%. Acid reflux is GONE... even after surgery I don't have it and don't have to take a ppi.. prior to giving up wheat I suffered almost daily and nightly with horrible burning in my esophagus.....migraines are GONE.. I have not had even one migraine since giving up wheat over a year ago.. I've had the occasional normal non-migraine headache, but NOTHING compared to the migraines I would get several times a month prior to giving up wheat. The big shocker is that I am now off of my synthroid. My thyroid was always healthy and produced the thyroid hormone but my body didn't process it and required much more than my thyroid could manufacture. I was taking 125-200 mcg of synthroid daily and it was really hard to get the levels right.. Now I have a completely normal TSH and no longer require any synthroid.

Having had VSG makes it SO MUCH EASIER to reduce/eliminate wheat from the diet.
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options

Having had VSG makes it SO MUCH EASIER to reduce/eliminate wheat from the diet.

Amen, sister
  • mcastgirlnc
    mcastgirlnc Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I've been GL for about six months and it has been a world of difference. I suffered from migraines for 2 yrs as well fatigue, fog, bloating and IBS. After being sleeved I've given up rice, GF breads, potatoes, actually starchy food. I found that I wouldn't get enough protein if I added the starchy food.

I do a lot of tuna, eggs, salmon, tilapia oh and I'm obsessed with chickpeas and avocado. Being GF is not as difficult as it was 4 yrs ago when I tried to do it before. You just have to be careful with sauces, beauty products and bath products as well as the usual food.

I also gave up dairy and found a world of difference with the bloating but recently started drinking milk again after surgery, I try to get a lot of protein in and the only "milk" that has a lot of protein is regular cow milk and flax seed milk.