Macros

Options
rosettafaery
rosettafaery Posts: 102 Member
Hi All :flowerforyou:

I have set my Macros at 40, 30, 30 but am really struggling to hit these. Are you on similar settings?
According to my diary, I seem to binge on carbs and not eat enough protein. However I have had a kidney transplant so need to be careful with my protein intake. Trying to get advice from the dietician at the hospital is a lost cause... 'You are obviously doing something right as everything is stable. Just keep eating whatever you are eating.'

Any suggestions on how I could tweak my diet to give my body the nutrients it needs for these workouts?
I'm currently doing stage 1 and finished the first 2 workouts.

Thanks, Nikki :smile:

Replies

• rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Do you know the max of protein you should be having with your special condition? If you do, then I would suggest setting your protein intake to that and allowing the other two to fall in place. The macro numbers are only suggestions. I am personally set to 50/20/30 because I am currently training for a half marathon and need the extra bit of carbs for cardio fuel. You will just have to play with the numbers and see what works for you.

Found this online...might help you out:

http://www.cari.org.au/TRANS_nutrition_published/Protein_requirement_ktr.pdf
  • rosettafaery
    rosettafaery Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Thanks for that article. :smile:
    I had always struggled to find something suggesting protein amounts for kidney patients.
    In the document it says:

"Stable kidney transplant recipients on a maintenance immunosuppression regimen, irrespective of renal function, should not exceed the NHMRC recommended daily intake of protein for the general population of 0.75 g protein/kg body weight for females and 0.84 g protein/kg body weight for males."

So works out pretty low for me at 40.2g/day - I had set my protein to around 119g/day! But in a typical day I would get in around 75g.

Finding the right balance of food for health purposes but also for fueling workouts seems a little tricky and incompatible! :grumble:
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Thanks for that article. :smile:
    I had always struggled to find something suggesting protein amounts for kidney patients.
    In the document it says:

"Stable kidney transplant recipients on a maintenance immunosuppression regimen, irrespective of renal function, should not exceed the NHMRC recommended daily intake of protein for the general population of 0.75 g protein/kg body weight for females and 0.84 g protein/kg body weight for males."

So works out pretty low for me at 40.2g/day - I had set my protein to around 119g/day! But in a typical day I would get in around 75g.

Finding the right balance of food for health purposes but also for fueling workouts seems a little tricky and incompatible! :grumble:

Unless you weigh 60 lbs, then your intake should be a lot higher, even for a kidney transplant patient. To make it easy, just times your weight by .75, and that is your max protein according to the article. So for example, I weigh 148 lbs, 75% is 111...so my limit would be 111g of protein that my kidney could safely process. Hope that helps lol.

To make you feel a little better and give cushion, you can use your lean body mass weight if that helps...so basically your muscle weight and multiply by .75....will give you a smaller number.