Registered for my 1st 5k!

Options
hteepeg
hteepeg Posts: 64 Member
I did it. I just registered for my first 5k! It is virtual and I can run it any time between Feb 1 and Feb 14th. That will be right around the time I finish my C25K program! I decided to go virtual so I can get the first one under my belt without some of the anxiety of doing it with a ton of other people.

(I'm not good in crowds and I'm even worse when I am braving something for the first time.)

I'm pretty psyched about it though! I've done a 5k as a walker before but never as a runner. I'm so excited!!!

Replies

• raelorien
    raelorien Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Way to go!!!
  • OneWildAndPreciousLife
    Options
    Well done! Very exciting. I just registered for my first 5K as well!
  • Mizkatemay
    Mizkatemay Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Congrats! Will be doing the color run in June, so any tips would be greatly appreciated....I am training but the treadmill is getting boring and ice and mud on the roads doesn't leave many options.
  • babyshme
    babyshme Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Congrats! Will be doing the color run in June, so any tips would be greatly appreciated....I am training but the treadmill is getting boring and ice and mud on the roads doesn't leave many options.

Running on a treadmill and running out side are so different. I struggle outside like crazy. I have still not ran a full 5k out side. I have how ever ran a full 5k inside on my treadmill. Take is easy and slow. Don't push your self to hard. Mostly, Who cares what other people think. Have fun and enjoy your run.
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    Running on a treadmill and running out side are so different. I struggle outside like crazy. I have still not ran a full 5k out side. I have how ever ran a full 5k inside on my treadmill. Take is easy and slow. Don't push your self to hard. Mostly, Who cares what other people think. Have fun and enjoy your run.

This. I trained on the treadmill and could run 5K. When I went outdoors, I could only run about 5 minutes (at first) before walking. It was a brutal awakening.
    Other people are thinking "Look at that awesome person going for a run. Wish I could do that."
    Running outdoors is much, much, much nicer and more interesting than running on the treadmill. If you can get out there, do so.
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    I did it. I just registered for my first 5k! It is virtual and I can run it any time between Feb 1 and Feb 14th. That will be right around the time I finish my C25K program! I decided to go virtual so I can get the first one under my belt without some of the anxiety of doing it with a ton of other people.

(I'm not good in crowds and I'm even worse when I am braving something for the first time.)

I'm pretty psyched about it though! I've done a 5k as a walker before but never as a runner. I'm so excited!!!

This is a great way to get in your first 5K. Way to go!!!
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options

Yaktrax! They are great for ice!

As far as the color run....I wasn't a huge fan, but good luck to you. Do not breath in when running through the color stations. Prepare to have tie-dye colored ta-tas (make sure EVERYTHING you wear is something you don't mind becoming stained, this includes bra, underwear and socks). If you bring a water bottle, cover the nozzle when you run through a color station. Enjoy the Zumba party!
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    http://www.active.com/running/articles/14-tips-to-prepare-for-your-first-5k

This article pretty much covers anything I would add.
  • GrindingSalt
    GrindingSalt Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Congrats!!! My first 5k is happening the first weekend of March : ) I hope you run like the wind and cross the 3.1 finish line feeling amazing!