Let's Just Keep It Real...

Options
Cayjominara
Cayjominara Posts: 270 Member
I am new to MFP and to weight training. Listen, I am going to be real with you. My number one goal in life right now is to be able to chin-ups and pull-ups. I am getting stronger with every training session, but I can't seem to get strong enough to do the almighty pull up! AAUUGGHHH!! What I wouldn't GIVE!!! Any tips for getting there, buds?

Replies

• Srarojas
    Srarojas Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    That is my main goal right now too! I've been working on pull ups for a month and can now do two.... I can't wait until the day I can do 10! I was training my back once per week, but I have increased it to two or three times per week. I start off with two pull ups unassisted, then do assisted pull ups with 20 - 30 lbs of assistance, then do jump pull ups. I also combine back & abs by jumping up to the up position of the pull up (chin above bar) and pull my legs up and down (like a chair).
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    Working out at home without the assist machine, just started tackling unassisted. I stayed dedicated to strength training since March. Built up back strength doing DLs rack-pulls, 3pt rows, lat pulldowns, seated rows etc as well as rest of body. So I went from one sorry attempt, to one, to now the current 3-5 rep sets of pull-ups & chins.

We have a power rack and thats what I use for pull-ups/chins. Just try every chance you get :wink:
  • Cayjominara
    Cayjominara Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    You two are just some straight up MANIACS!! Listen, I really appreciate the tips! I'm telling you, these pull-ups have had me BEAT for a while now. Thanks to your advice i am going to incorporate more back exercises into my training. The plan I'm on now does target the back muscles, but a little extra will be good. I trust you all, cuz I have SEEN your back shots. Impressive, to say the least!

So it sounds like the pull up has more to do with back strength than arm strength. Hmmmm....interesting!
  • Dell2u
    Dell2u Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    If I were you, since you're relatively new to this, I would start out doing a series of push ups in order to start building upper body strength. I'd probably focus on deads also, in order to strengthen those lat muscles. It's going to take time, so just be patient with yourself. Good luck..............
  • RECowgill
    RECowgill Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I couldn't do a single pull-up/chin-up either when I started. I'm up to 3 per set now unassisted. Worked the assisted pull-ups a lot, dead hangs, slow negatives. Got one of those door frame pull-up bars for home too. It's taken a year for me to go from 0 to 3. This too was one of my goals when I started lifting. When I was a kid and 80lbs lighter than I am now I could do 12 easy. Wanting to get back to that pretty badly myself (the rep count, not my old weight lol).
  • cajuntank
    cajuntank Posts: 924 Member
    Options
    I've never been able to do a pull-up or chin-up before as well till about 3 weeks ago. Of course being lighter helps, but I believe the strength training I've been doing for the past 9 months has helped more. Two of the big compound lifts that I feel got me strong enough to do them were barbell rows and deadlifts. I surprised myself when just on a whim, I hung from the pull-up bar just to stretch, then did a few and it blew my mind. I treat pull-ups and chin-ups as accessory lifts...get strong doing the main compound lifts first like with a program like Starting Strengh or StrongLifts, ICF 5x5, etc... That will get you there.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    Yes, it is a function of getting your back stronger and/or lowering your body weight, but don't just focus on one functional movement. Stay balanced in your workouts.
  • FitnessRXusaAnna
    FitnessRXusaAnna Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Follow my Instagram page fitnessRXusa
  • FitnessRXusaAnna
    Options
    90% of the population do not activate their back muscles properly when doing pull ups. It will take time and intention of developing the mind muscle connections. Especially if you are a newbie. Take your time use the assistanted pull up machine and be in contol of the movement. Example s of video on my Instagram account fitnessRXusa
  • FitnessRXusaAnna
    Options
    If you have never done deadlifts before and you didnt know the functionality of the back, hip, and leg muscles then do not do deadlifts. Unless you get proper professional instruction. There is a progression method to teach new comers to the weight room. The deadlift is a complicated compound exercise. To tell him to just go deads is straight route for a bad back or serious injury.
  • FitnessRXusaAnna
    Options
    If I were you, since you're relatively new to this, I would start out doing a series of push ups in order to start building upper body strength. I'd probably focus on deads also, in order to strengthen those lat muscles. It's going to take time, so just be patient with yourself. Good luck..............

see above comment s
  • baptiste565
    baptiste565 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    When I first started I was hating on the guys who could do 5 sets 12. I was able to do sets of 3. I used progressive overload and in about 3months I was able to get 10 reps. I also did a lot of pull downs.
  • SaintGiff
    SaintGiff Posts: 3,679 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I'm gonna offer some completely different advice from everyone else here. I struggled with chins for years. Literally, for years. I wasn't overweight. My back was plenty strong. I simply could not them worth a damn. I mean it was embarrassing. It wasn't until I did P90X that I got really good at them. Why? I had to do them all the time. That, in and of itself, helped. What helped more was in doing them all the time I finally figured out the mechanics of the movement. It's a back exercise, but if you focus on your back while doing them they are hella hard. Focus instead on two things. For starters, begin the movement from your core. Focus on the first thing that moves is your belly button going straight up. I'm not talking about kipping. I'm saying focus on your bellybutton, or your sternum, starting the movement. From there, don't worry about getting your head up over the bar, that puts all your focus on your back which, again, makes it hard. Focus on touching your elbows to your lats. I don't know why, but it's a mental thing for some people. I've given this advice to a few people now and it has helped every one of them improve their chins very quickly. For some people, myself included, elbows to lats is much easier than head over bar, even though both are exactly the same movement.
  • cajuntank
    cajuntank Posts: 924 Member
    Options
    If you have never done deadlifts before and you didnt know the functionality of the back, hip, and leg muscles then do not do deadlifts. Unless you get proper professional instruction. There is a progression method to teach new comers to the weight room. The deadlift is a complicated compound exercise. To tell him to just go deads is straight route for a bad back or serious injury.

Since it seems like you might be responding to my post about deadlifts; I did not see anyone else mention this, I mentioned starting out using one of the time and tested strength program developed by people like Bill Star, Reg Park, Mark Rippetoe about structured strength programs. These programs do not have you just start deadlifting hundreds of lbs on your first workout. In fact, StrongLifts actually has you start out with just a 45lbs bar to learn and perfect form while adding weight every workout. I did not tell him to perform an exercise he's never done with hundreds of lbs of weight. Any movement needs to be learned for proper form regardless what that movement is, regardless if it's the deadlift or pull-up, etc... to properly engage the right muscles. That's the point I was getting across by stating those programs and letting the OP do his responsibility of researching these for himself if he so chooses.