1600 Members with only a small % active, LETS GET BUSY!

Options
2»

Replies

• dward59
    dward59 Posts: 731 Member
    Options
    Sorry annwyatt69... I have the BEST surgeon ever!

Great story and wonderful success. I've been on MFP just over a year, but couldn't agree more about the support in the groups and forums to which I've posted.

wrenegade64, Good luck with your surgery to you and your wife. My wife and I did it on the same day. Made it difficult in some ways, but the surgeon urged us to do it this way so we would be at the same point on the food changes as they came. That worked out great for us. Worst was right out of the hospital when we mutually groaned any time we needed to get into or out of bed! :smile:
  • annwyatt69
    annwyatt69 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Sorry annwyatt69... I have the BEST surgeon ever!

Great story and wonderful success. I've been on MFP just over a year, but couldn't agree more about the support in the groups and forums to which I've posted.

wrenegade64, Good luck with your surgery to you and your wife. My wife and I did it on the same day. Made it difficult in some ways, but the surgeon urged us to do it this way so we would be at the same point on the food changes as they came. That worked out great for us. Worst was right out of the hospital when we mutually groaned any time we needed to get into or out of bed! :smile:

LOL @dward59! Isn't it awesome to have such great surgeons out there who we can put our complete trust in???? Congrats to you and to everyone on their decision to change their lives for the better!
  • angelaanhela
    angelaanhela Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Very active on mfp and this is about my 4-5/6 months of an insurance required diet plan to lose weight. The diet plan already has me doing one week of no sugar/carbs/starches then one week of the standard liquid diet that is usually required 2 weeks before surgery. I really think its a good idea to start trying to do the liquid diet before you have to because it is REALLY hard to get used to. This group is so amazing and its so nice to connect with people who are also pre-op and struggling like me and then people who have already gone through it and are working on losing or maintaining. Love this group!!!!!
  • LolaBug85
    LolaBug85 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    See, now I think I have the best surgeon! Haha, so glad we all had amazing surgeons!

I just realized I said I had RNY on March 13th...I meant May 13th. Oops on typing!
  • elishevamrose
    Options
    Hi everyone! I'm a brand-new WLS patient, I'm not scheduled yet, and I still have some hoops to jump through but I'm shooting for/hoping for Mid-March. I've already started a high-protein/healthy eating diet and exercise plan, and my hope is to be down 25 lbs by the day of surgery. I'd love some online support and help, tips and tricks, to get me started on this journey.
  • Daisyboohoo
    Daisyboohoo Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Hi Jena,

I'm new to this group, but have been a regular participant on MFP since my surgery (VSG) in May 2013. My wife and I first started looking into the surgery in September of 2012 and had decided to join the program when there was an insurance SNAFU that didn't get cleared up for months. I lost almost exactly 30 lbs from November when we tried to start until May 1st when we both had the surgery. I'm closing on the 100 lbs lost since surgery, honestly expecting it this week, if I'm careful.

I don't collect friends on MFP, but I think I have a great group of people who I support and support me in return. It has been win-win so far.

The changes to my life have been astounding from my view point. On the medical front, my bloodwork is 100% in the normal range now, no more pre-diabetes, high cholesterol, etc. I was on 24 hour per day oxygen, now I have it nights only and expect to get rid of it in the next few months. I do use a Bi-Pap for sleeping. I dream of being able to do away with that, but that is another year or more away.

My wife and I have rediscovered many of the activities we enjoyed when we were dating/newly married. We walk and take short hikes that get longer all the time. I have rediscovered photography and take a lot of photographs while on these hikes.

We recently went to Disneyland and I was able to go on every ride I wanted to, except one. I went on Space Mountain for the first time ever and while I barely fit, I did fit! More astounding than that was the hours I spent walking and standing without feeling the need to find the nearest chair. My pedometer shows I walked 21 miles in our two short and one full days there. Yes, I did have to use Ibuprofen for muscle aches, but no more than anyone else over 21 in the family. :bigsmile:

Life is good and getting better all the time.

Best of luck with your procedure and the new life you are working toward!

Wow - what an inspiration!
  • MrsB123111
    MrsB123111 Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    Almost 3 years post op from RNY gastric bypass! Like you all, it was the (second) best decision I have ever made... aside from saying "yes" to my husband's proposal :love:

As of April 2011, I tipped the scales at 273 lbs (at 5'4" tall). I was pre-diabetic, had PCOS, my joints ached, my back hurt, my feet would swell if I stood for too long, I had horrible anxiety and depression.. Just all around miserable. I lost 100 pounds in the first ten months, and have lost another 20 in the last two years. It has been slow, especially after I hit the "2 year" mark. But, I have maintained in the 150-160 region for most of that time. I am now working with a fabulous personal trainer and am closing in on the 140's... Somewhere I haven't been since middle school!
  • BunBun85
    BunBun85 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Hello! I had RNY on May 2nd, 2012, my highest weight was 316lbs and right now I'm hovering between 204/5/6; I'm 5'2. When I got to 211lbs I finally met the BMI requirement for fertility medication so I started taking Clomid and on the 2nd round, after many years of trying we're finally pregnant. This was 1 year, 3 months out from surgery. My lowest weight was 199lbs and my doctors are very confident that I will be under that after birth, possibly into the 180s. He's due in April. I'd love some more pals that have had the surgery or are looking into the surgery.

Cheers, Bun
  • JenaOnTrack74
    JenaOnTrack74 Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    Almost 3 years post op from RNY gastric bypass! Like you all, it was the (second) best decision I have ever made... aside from saying "yes" to my husband's proposal :love:

As of April 2011, I tipped the scales at 273 lbs (at 5'4" tall). I was pre-diabetic, had PCOS, my joints ached, my back hurt, my feet would swell if I stood for too long, I had horrible anxiety and depression.. Just all around miserable. I lost 100 pounds in the first ten months, and have lost another 20 in the last two years. It has been slow, especially after I hit the "2 year" mark. But, I have maintained in the 150-160 region for most of that time. I am now working with a fabulous personal trainer and am closing in on the 140's... Somewhere I haven't been since middle school!
    YAY!! You're gonna love the personal trainer well in a love/hate kind of way! I have been avoiding the trainer here in my area that I had many years ago out of sheer embarrassment! Sad but true. I look forward to the day I can call upon her again! Good Luck To You!
  • JenaOnTrack74
    Options
    Hello! I had RNY on May 2nd, 2012, my highest weight was 316lbs and right now I'm hovering between 204/5/6; I'm 5'2. When I got to 211lbs I finally met the BMI requirement for fertility medication so I started taking Clomid and on the 2nd round, after many years of trying we're finally pregnant. This was 1 year, 3 months out from surgery. My lowest weight was 199lbs and my doctors are very confident that I will be under that after birth, possibly into the 180s. He's due in April. I'd love some more pals that have had the surgery or are looking into the surgery.

Cheers, Bun

A fellow shorty! I am under 5 feet tall (4'10)
    Congratulations on your new baby!
  • cheryl4813
    Options
    I had my surgery in April 2013, and have just this very week passed the 100 pound mark. I just had my labs done and for the first time in years everything is "within normal limits". I mostly need MFP to keep track of my protein content, and would love to have some new ideas to add to the mix!
  • BunBun85
    BunBun85 Posts: 246 Member
    Options

Cheers, Bun

A fellow shorty! I am under 5 feet tall (4'10)
    Congratulations on your new baby!

Heck yeah, shorties united!
    Thanks so much! For the first time ever I'm not hating my belly getting bigger, it bumps into the treadmill occasionally though and that's pretty annoying because then he starts kicking back.
  • JenaOnTrack74
    Options
    I had my surgery in April 2013, and have just this very week passed the 100 pound mark. I just had my labs done and for the first time in years everything is "within normal limits". I mostly need MFP to keep track of my protein content, and would love to have some new ideas to add to the mix!
    That is SO AWESOME!!!
    Get that protein in girl!
    I noticed this is your first post WELCOME Don't be shy!! :bigsmile:
  • mandynsnuf
    mandynsnuf Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I started my preop classes April 2011, I lost 50 lbs preop. Had single incision lap RNY 11/7/11. As 12/12, I'd lost 167 lbs bringing me from 298 lbs to 131 lbs. I have since gained back about 25 lbs :( I am back on track and working to lose back to my goal weight of 140 lbs. I'm glad to be back !
    Mandy
  • JenaOnTrack74
    Options
    Welcome back!!
    Checked out your before and after's WOW:noway: AMAZING job!!
    You can do this!!
  • grim_traveller
    grim_traveller Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    I started my preop classes April 2011, I lost 50 lbs preop. Had single incision lap RNY 11/7/11. As 12/12, I'd lost 167 lbs bringing me from 298 lbs to 131 lbs. I have since gained back about 25 lbs :( I am back on track and working to lose back to my goal weight of 140 lbs. I'm glad to be back !
    Mandy

Hi Mandy! I haven't seen you post in a long time, it's good to see you back. I'm sorry to see the regain, but I know how hard you worked before, so I'm sure you'll get rid of it.
  • Butlavie
    Butlavie Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Hello all
    back on track...a few bumps in the rode but its a wonderful journey.
  • snickerdoolers
    snickerdoolers Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hi Guys & Gals, I was gifted with my RNY on Dec 23 and came home on Christmas day! This kids enjoyed my happy drug comments that day while opening gifts. Tee hee, These first 40 came off lickety split in my first 2 months and now i'm at a stand still. Little frustrating cuz this is the weight i always used to get to and then body would say that is enuff, lets stay here. My highest weight was 260 which is where i was when i had the surgery. Am looking to lose 100 to start with. Feel free to look at my diary and give me pointer and help. Would appreciate it Greatly!
  • csmccord
    csmccord Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Hi Guys & Gals, I was gifted with my RNY on Dec 23 and came home on Christmas day! This kids enjoyed my happy drug comments that day while opening gifts. Tee hee, These first 40 came off lickety split in my first 2 months and now i'm at a stand still. Little frustrating cuz this is the weight i always used to get to and then body would say that is enuff, lets stay here. My highest weight was 260 which is where i was when i had the surgery. Am looking to lose 100 to start with. Feel free to look at my diary and give me pointer and help. Would appreciate it Greatly!

Hi! I had my RNY Sept 2012, so I'm fairly familiar with the beginning part of the journey. Everybody has a stall. It's inevitable. I had mine, and the first thing my dietitian asked me, was if I was getting my protein in. I was not. For the first 6 months or so, I drank two protein shakes a day. About six months post-op I dropped down to one shake a day, then dropped that last one after about 9 months. They wanted me getting at least 50 gm of protein from supplements containing whey protein each day, and getting about 100 or 120 gm of protein each day. Now, without shakes I get about 130 to 150 gm each day. As soon as I started eating my protein the way they wanted me, I started dropping the weight again.

The other two things you can be doing are making sure you are getting your water in. At least 64 of non-caffeinated, clear unadulterated water. Tea, protein shakes, etc don't count. Secondly, start your exercising, even if it's just walking. Just start moving more. Exercise is a big component of the maintaining the weight loss past the first 9 to 12 months. If I didn't spend 4 or 5 hours in the gym each week, I don't know if I would be able to maintain my weight loss....but I do like to eat food. The gym lets me do more of that than I could otherwise.
  • jktefft
    jktefft Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I had Lap-band surgery on January 29th, 2014. I have been on MFP for almost two years, but am now just finding the WLS community on this site. I think it is great idea to have this group and I how it will be a good addition to my use MFP. Cheers all!

Jessie