Calories Burned?

Options
Hey so I know there's one-too-many discussions here about how many calories are burned during an insanity workout. I very well know it varies from person to person. I was however able to find this website a while ago (wish I bookmarked it so I could go back to it) where there would be a huge database of all workouts including all insanity workout, and basically you would plug in you age/height/weight/fitness level it would give you an estimate of how many calories burned during the length of each workout. For the plyometric cardio circuit I got an estimate of about 453 calls burned. "Fair enough" I though. Until today, I decided to take my dad's heart rate monitor and measure my heart rate and how many calories I actually burned. After the 42 mins, it told me that my max heart rate was 127 and that i only burned 200 calories.... I mean, it is to be said that it WASN'T MY HRM but still...200cals?!?! I worked my *kitten* off and was totally drenched in sweat! I push myself to the absolute max and go at the same pace as shaun t and the other on the video and hardly take breaks (if i do it'd be like 5-10 secs). Is this actually possible? I'm 20, 5 ft 4' and 122lbs

Thoughts??

Replies

• hopefaithlove24
    hopefaithlove24 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I never burn into the 400's, most of the time mid 300's if I do 40 min, or 200's if I do 20 min!
  • lmr9
    lmr9 Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    Definitely varies person to person -- height, weight, and heart rate all play a factor. I wear a HRM and I consistently burn in the 400's for each Insantity workout, but I'm 5'11, 185 lbs.

Not sure which calorie burn calculator you are referring to, but I've found this one to be helpful. Doesn't appear to have Insanity on it though, so probably not useful here, but I'll share anyway! LOL! :laugh:
    http://www.caloriesperhour.com/index_burn.php
  • KerenJoy86
    KerenJoy86 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Did you put your height and weight into the heart rate monitor settings? It might be set to your dad's height and weight, and then the calories would be off. I'm surprised your heart rate would be that low though. I always wear my heart rate monitor during my Insanity workouts, and besides the Cardio Recovery, I am always in the 400's. Almost to 500.
  • sikick123
    Options
    Sounds to me like the hrm was not giving a true relfection of your heart rate, mine is normally 165+Bpm during the workouts going down to about 135bpm during the stretches burning over 500 calories on every workout.

I suggest buying a new one that you can bluetooth to your iphone etc which then inturn updates your MFP diary with the calories you just burnt.

I use a wahoo HR bluetooth monitor along with the Wahoo fitness app.

Good luck
  • lts42uk
    lts42uk Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'8", weigh 146lb and my calorie burn, according to my heart rate monitor, is always around the 280 mark for the 40 minute Insanity workouts. I work my butt off and am drenched in sweat. I've always been slightly disappointed with the calorie burn, but was thrilled with the results by the end the first time I completed it. I've just started my second round. My heartrate usually averages around 135 BPM.
  • sikick123
    Options
    Does anyone continue counting the calories after the workout has finished?

My heart rate has to work back down from 160bpm which takes a while (maybe a sign of being unfit) :)

Im still burning calories 8-10 mins after the workout which I count towards my final calories
    Burnt as I believe this is called the afterburn factor which is part of the science of max interval training?

My resting heart rate is 58-60bpm so dont feel cheeky counting the calories when my heart rate is stil around 120-130
    Bpm after working out?

What do you guys think?

Cheers
  • lmr9
    lmr9 Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    Does anyone continue counting the calories after the workout has finished?

My heart rate has to work back down from 160bpm which takes a while (maybe a sign of being unfit) :)

Im still burning calories 8-10 mins after the workout which I count towards my final calories
    Burnt as I believe this is called the afterburn factor which is part of the science of max interval training?

My resting heart rate is 58-60bpm so dont feel cheeky counting the calories when my heart rate is stil around 120-130
    Bpm after working out?

What do you guys think?

Cheers

I personally do not count them, but I know you do still burn after your workout - which is an awesome thing!! I just think of it as extra credit. :wink:
  • joehempel
    joehempel Posts: 1,761 Member
    Options
    I use a Polar FT4 and I burn about 600 during the workouts, about 300 during the Cardio Recovery and 500 during the Core Cardio & Balance.

I've had to adjust the zones because I've got a higher heart rate than most people so I don't know if that takes it into effect, but it works for me!

My max is 195 or so.

I'm 5'9 186lbs currently.
  • twinksie
    twinksie Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I have a Garmin 900XT and I'm burning around 350-400 calories for the 40 minute workouts. I'm stopping where I need to catch my breath, which is generally when my heart rate is quite high (160).

Everyone's calorie burn will be different depending on your overall cardio fitness, so don't worry too much about fixating on a number. It shouldn't be an excuse to blow the 400 calories you've worked your butt off to burn!
  • FromFlabToFurious
    FromFlabToFurious Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Except for Cardio Recovery, I'm usually burning calories ranging from 500-700 but that may well be to do with my height and weight. I'm 6ft and I'm 17st 7lb (I was 5lb more a week ago). I think it varies from different people.
  • watto1903
    watto1903 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Im 6ft 2 and 82kg, my garmin varies between 350 & 450 so far. Currently on week 2

hope this helps