Treadmill to Outdoors?

Options
hteepeg
hteepeg Posts: 64 Member
I need some feedback. I am set to finish C25K in less than 2 weeks. I have a program that I am planning to use afterwards - 5K Forever. I've done my entire C25K - Zen Labs on the treadmill. After I'm done, would you:

A) Use the new 5K Forever program and alternate treadmill and outdoors (weather restrictions - snow and ice will be factors)

B) Restart C25K but with an aim for doing it outdoors instead of treadmill

Thanks y'all!

Replies

• two_octopodes
    two_octopodes Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I am about to finish C25K and start 5K Forever myself. I'll be sticking to the treadmill until spring. Since it sounds like you're eager to get outside, I think you should go with option A, but be forgiving of yourself if it is initially more difficult to run outside than you expect. From what I hear, running outside is a whole different ballgame than running on the treadmill.

Looking forward to hearing from those who have successfully made the switch!
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    I was you early last year. I trained fully on the treadmill. By spring, I could run 5K on the treadmill without walking every time. Then I went outdoors and ....bam....I could run about 5 minutes before needing to stop.
    I've since learned that there's a set of muscles (hamstrings??) that propel you forwards and that don't get trained on the treadmill. Therefore, moving outdoors is almost like starting fresh. You're stronger and more able to run the distance but that one set of muscles needs training.
    I didn't start from the beginning of C25K but set my own program. I started with running 5 minutes, walking 2 minutes and increasing the running times as I went along.
    It won't take you long to train this set of muscles. You can do it but be prepared to move backwards for a few weeks. It's not a set-back but another training opportunity.
  • CTcutie
    CTcutie Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    I made the switch! But, it was just good luck, I think, as a local group was just starting a C25K beginner's track run each week at the high school just a few days after I finished a c25k app. I had only using the treadmill (and I think only the last 2-3 days I used a treadmill @ the gym with incline set @ 0.5%). My personal treadmill doesn't even incline, lol.

It worked very well for me and was critical for me to be able to run and complete the 5K race... AND it felt freaking AMAZING!!

We only ran on the road for the last 2-3 sessions of the running group, but maybe a week or so before that I FINALLY sucked it up and starting running in my neighborhood... I have since run up to 4+ miles in my neighborhood, but thinking about another 5K in spring when I KNOW I can spend time running outside without fear of black ice @ night.

Only half the group (5-6 people) that started the track running group actually finished our practice runs and the "homework" and made it to the race!! One person had a minor injury and most of the others were used to the treadmill and couldn't devote the time or otherwise didn't do their "homework" (2 runs/week). Everyone that started the race completed it!!

Good luck! :smile:
  • hteepeg
    hteepeg Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    This is all great feedback! I normally wear my snow boots to the gym and change into my sneakers when I hit the treadmill. I made the mistake of wearing my running shoes for the walk to the gym one day and was amazed at how slick it was on pavement.

I am going to think about what will work best and try to be patient with myself in the training process.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    This is all great feedback! I normally wear my snow boots to the gym and change into my sneakers when I hit the treadmill. I made the mistake of wearing my running shoes for the walk to the gym one day and was amazed at how slick it was on pavement.

I am going to think about what will work best and try to be patient with myself in the training process.

My northern friends swear by Yaxtrax: https://www.yaktrax.com/
  • sydneybeachgirl
    Options
    I would go with B - restart the C25K on the ground....that is what I am doing right now and the difference between running on the ground and on the treadmill is huge....
    running on treadmill is much much easier for me...
  • rabblerabble
    rabblerabble Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    I've been on the treadmill during the winter and soon will be switching outside. Many say that having a slight incline on the treadmill (1 to 2 per cent) helps prepare you for the transition.
  • ToughMudderAddict
    ToughMudderAddict Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    If I may make a suggestion... Try upping your incline on the treadmill slowly to get up to 1%.. this more closely resembles running outside.. It's going to work some other muscles and may be difficult at first but you'll be thankful when you do make your way outdoors.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I do something I call "rduhlir's recovery run"

5 min walk
    1/2 mile run
    1 minute walk
    1/2 mile run
    1 minute walk
    1/2 mile run
    1 minute walk
    1/2 mile run
    1 minute walk
    5 minutes walk

I use this for any transition: two week sick, new shoes, treadmill to outside, outside to treadmill, form changes, etc.

Drop each walking break when you no longer need it. It usually takes 4-6 runs to get back to where you were.