salt, magnesium, minerals

Options
zerryz
zerryz Posts: 168 Member
Hi! New to LCHF but not to dieting. I have been on a strict LCHF for 3 days (for me at least, a bit less than 100g Net C/day) and a bit looser regimen in the 7 days preceding. I am experimenting a bit of dizziness. I suspect it s because of my levels of salt, magnesium and other minerals intake. Can anyone recommend a website to read more about that? Thanks.

Replies

• kiramaniac
    kiramaniac Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    Phinney and Volek cover this in "The Art and Science of Low carb Living"

A good video with them here -
    http://futurepaleo.com/video-jumpstartmd-interview-with-stephen-phinney-and-jeff-volek-about-nutritional-ketosis/

Info on sodium begins at 32:56.

In general though,
    From "The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living"
    Low carb diets are natriuretic - they make the kidneys dump sodium. Sodium deficiency can cause headache, dizziness and fatigue. With continued low carb intake and sodium restriction, at some point your kidneys start to excrete potassium in order to conserve sodium. Potassium deficiency can lead to muscle cramps, cardiac dysrythmia. it can also cause the body to lose muscle, even when there's plenty of protein in the diet.

On keto, we should consume 3-5 g sodium per day. Broth is the easiest solution.

For an extra bonus - add 2 tbsp of heavy cream to your broth and get a fat boost at the same time!
  • fruttibiscotti
    fruttibiscotti Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    Nice idea! Adding cream to broth. Brilliant, I'm going to do that! Made a whole bunch of broth and this would be a great way to use it up!
  • bacitracin
    bacitracin Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    One of my favorite recipes on Keto is a modified version of this: http://cavemanketo.com/chicken-broccoli-soup/

I dunno what my girlfriend does to it, but it's freakin' amazing!

ANYWAY, about the electrolyte imbalance, yeah, that's a huge issue with going into ketosis, usually attributed to "keto flu". I tend to stick around 5000mg of sodium per day, and I use Morton's Lite Salt which is about half potassium. If I can feel my muscles get twitchy, I take a magnesium supplement. Sometimes it helps to take magnesium/calcium/zinc just to be on the safe side. :)
  • zerryz
    zerryz Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Thank you all. I'd like to send u FR's if ok with u. Again, thanls. The vid is awesome. The book seems like a must have. I have heard it mention in several LCHF forums out on the web.