Daily Challenge - 1/17/2014 - Sodium Free Friday

dward59
dward59 Posts: 731 Member
OK, we all know that Sodium Free is neither do able (nor even advisable!) However, we generally eat too much of that sneaky little ingredient!

Again, look at your macros and start building a menu tomorrow that will keep this GREEN. If you really want to push yourself, try to use no more than 75% what MFP puts there for your upper limit. Now that my friends is a challenge!

The key to this one will require you to cook and use fresh ingredients.

Mark and P1xy, I know how much you guys love this challenge, so game on!

Replies

• I am going to take this on! Time for my weakness... Meal planning
  • Etherlily1
    Etherlily1 Posts: 974 Member
    Ooooo. This one will be a definite challenge for me as I usually treat myself to a sub on Fridays and bread is loaded with sodium. This is going to take some doing!
  • p1xyn1xy
    p1xyn1xy Posts: 461 Member
    Awww... :tongue:
    I'll give it a shot! lol!
  • This will be a new one for me. I don't think I ever thought twice about sodium. Game on! :happy:
  • dward59
    Gotta warn you all fairly. I did a trial run on this today...and am OVER by almost 25%. All because of processed foods.

Seriously, who would have thought that 2 tbsp of light salad dressing would have almost 400g of salt?

I've started filling in tomorrow's menu. No wonder M23Prime and P1xyN1xy hate this one so much!
  • PaulaKro
    PaulaKro Posts: 5,747 Member
    Oh man, did you pick a bad challenge for me this week. Had Japanese food earlier (soy sauce) and Chinese today. My ankles swell up when I've had more than a little and they are telling me exactly that. But come to think of it, that's the perfect reason to abstain tomorrow. I'm in!
  • p1xyn1xy
    :bigsmile: Can I count today... I was green across the board today! :bigsmile:
    I know tomorrow. sigh :ohwell:
  • m23prime
    m23prime Posts: 358 Member
    I had a terrible salt day on Thursday. So I need this!

DONE!
  • dward59
    Ok, how'd we all do?

After yesterday's insanity, I planned carefully and hit very close to my 75% goal.
  • 808malia
    808malia Posts: 631 Member
    I kept my sodium green, but just barely...:embarassed:
  • I didn't hit it actually not really close but I had other success today and I'm ok with that! I did see how hard the planning is for it! I'm
    Going to try again on Monday
  • Etherlily1
    Etherlily1 Posts: 974 Member
    I did it! I used about 57% of the total amount allowed for the day. :drinker:
  • m23prime
    m23prime Posts: 358 Member
    :bigsmile: ACED IT! :glasses:

Though I don't think it's as good as my diary says. There is a bit of salt in one of the homemade spice mixes I used for the grilled patties, and I passed a hint of pink salt over the chicken...but I think I stayed well under 75% and might even have stayed under 50!

Today was the first day in ages that I was really really careful. I have been plateaued for weeks and this is going to jumpstart a new round of losses!

Thanks Dan!

(And one more march of the hound before midnight might even turn the fat macro green again!)

NEXT DAY EDIT--sorry...didn't mean to come across so braggy. But I am very pleased with myself.
  • just_jess7
    just_jess7 Posts: 271 Member
    I did not see this until just now! As most of you who know me know, I have a love/hate relationship with sodium - meaning I LOVE it and it HATES me… I was over by about 200mg, which compared to some of my other days (almost 5000mg the other day -yikes) isn't terrible, but is still OVER.

Taking it with a grain of salt (ha ha) and moving on. I will be trying this challenge again tomorrow, and the next day, and the next.. you get the picture.
  • PaulaKro
    PaulaKro Posts: 5,747 Member
    Totally blew it today. Normally am in the green, but today had a half deli sandwich and the deli turkey did me in. The fish taco probably didn't have as much salt in it as MFP pulled up though, grilled fish & fresh vegie salsa.
  • p1xyn1xy
    Technically I was red... but I was only over by 20. So I'm counting it as a pass. Who know broccoli had so much sodium. :tongue: Still a good day.