Help

Options
Even though I work out and count calories, I've gained 21 pounds in the first 24 weeks. WAY TOO MUCH. I feel like this pregnancy weight gain is a monster I can't control. I feel scared of the weight gain to come and really discouraged.
Any advice from anyone who's been pregnant before?

Replies

• meghanvest
    Options
    Maybe water retention? Try drinking 3-4 liters a day and watching your sodium, that is what I did and it has helped sooooo much. I've also been limiting my carbs but not super low. Eating higher fat and protein has also helped my weight level out. I've gained 19.2 pounds as of today at 31 weeks. And my starting weight was 115. Hopefully this helps you some :)
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    Sometimes you just do gain, probably from fluid retention and bloating and things.

I haven't dared weigh myself since 12.5 weeks, and even then I was up around 8lbs, but I was pretty bloated then, and I was nauseous and a bit off track with my eating.

I exercised and ate well within my first and still gained. With my 2nd I didn't exercise and got massive. I started off this pregnancy smaller than I started my first, but I can tell I've gained despite eating really well and exercising loads, and running round after my 2 kids. My thighs feel huge. I wonder if that's water retention and extra fluid?
  • TLCEsq
    TLCEsq Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I would just try to focus on eating mostly healthy foods and yes water is very very important! One of my friends gained almost 80 lbs during her pregnancy and she worked out twice a day and didn't overeat. It isn't all fat, most of it is placenta, baby, and fluid fluid fluid. My face instantly got "fat" when I was about ten weeks in. Just keep doing what you're doing and as long as you aren't bingeing on Twinkies and doughnuts and fast food, you will be just fine!

With my son I gained 35 lbs, 25 fell off right away then I GAINED ten while BFing. Go figure that.
  • toothpastechica
    toothpastechica Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I would just try to focus on eating mostly healthy foods and yes water is very very important! One of my friends gained almost 80 lbs during her pregnancy and she worked out twice a day and didn't overeat. It isn't all fat, most of it is placenta, baby, and fluid fluid fluid. My face instantly got "fat" when I was about ten weeks in. Just keep doing what you're doing and as long as you aren't bingeing on Twinkies and doughnuts and fast food, you will be just fine!

With my son I gained 35 lbs, 25 fell off right away then I GAINED ten while BFing. Go figure that.

I need a like button for this. I keep being worried because I want to stay in that 25-35lb gain margin, but gained 10lbs since December, but really as long as you are doing what you can to eat and be healthy, that's more important then the numbers right now....if you are not overeating and are staying active that weight should drop quickly after baby gets here even if its a "higher number" then we want in the end.
  • spunkychelsea
    spunkychelsea Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I gained 23 lbs with my son and I really believe it's due to being diagnosed with Gestational Diabetes and having to follow the diet:
    Breakfast 15-30g of carbs, Snack 15-30g of carbs, Lunch 30-45g of carbs, Snack 15-30g of carbs, Dinner 30-45g of carbs, Snack 15-30g of carbs. I was told ot make sure I did eat the carbs too, not to skip them or make them too low. I had lost 6 lbs with morning sickness, gained it back by 20 weeks, then the next month gained 8 lbs, got told I had GD (after failing the test) and didn't gain excessively after that - but I did still gain. 8 days after he was born I had lost the 23 lbs. A lot is fluid, and baby and blood and placenta (he wasn't even 8 lbs).

With my daughter I went crazy and gained 46 lbs. I ate whatever I wanted whenever I wanted convinced I would be diabetic again and restricted. I was not, and continued eating everything in sight. The good news? I was able to lose all that, and another 13lbs before getting pregnant again when she was 8 months old (I lost 22lbs from birth that time, the rest was through MFP and breastfeeding).

This time around I am trying to keep my carbs in mind, but I haven't been tracking like I should. Some women do just gain a lot of weight. YOU CAN LOSE IT AFTER BABY. I was so depressed when I was so restricted with my diet, but I was also not happy with the weight gain when I ate everything. So I'm trying to enjoy this pregnancy, and the inevitable weight gain, while still keeping it semi on track. Try not to beat yourself up.
  • momRN2B
    momRN2B Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    i also had this scare as well. I was eating healthy, logging my food intake and exercising and i gained 17 lbs in my 2nd trimester plus 2 lbs in the 1st trimester. But I stuck to it and guess what i only gained about 6 lbs in my 3rd trimester. I am now 39 weeks, due on Sunday and i am up 25-26 lbs. So don't stress just keep on eating healthy and stay active and you will be OK.
  • RoxyMoody
    RoxyMoody Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Water Water Water! MY Dr told me to be sure that I'm drinking at least a gallon a day. Also, tracking on here has really helped me with portion control and keeping myself honest about making healthy choices. I was recently diagnosed with Gestational Diabetes and have had to make alterations to my diet. While frustrating, I feel a lot healthier and haven't been gaining too much. Feel free to add me if you want to!