Exercise: our focus

Options
HollisGrant
HollisGrant Posts: 2,022 Member
Hi, everybody. My name is Hollis Grant. I'm a woman aged 59, near my goal weight but want to continue with a healthy lifestyle and not slack off and gain the weight back. I live in Pennsylvania, USA, went back to college a couple of years ago, am having a great time with it, plus work during the week at a job.

Last year I decided to leave my car at home and walk to work and to local errands and have lost a lot of weight that way, plus raised my quality of life.

Right now I'm working on exercises for upper body strength: push ups, triceps dips, and planks.

I would love to hear from other people what exercises are you working on? How do you make sure you do them during the week?

Replies

• mabug01
    mabug01 Posts: 1,273 Member
    Options
    Hi Hollis,

That's terrific that you were able to lose weight and add so much movement. When I last worked, I would walk up to 8 hours a day on my job and I loved being outside so much. Right now I am able to do weight training as long as I can be seated. I'm especially keen to keep my quads strong to support my knees and I use the machines at the gym to do that. However I no longer have a membership, and my current goal is to join a gym in February when I've settled into a new place.
  • TNHoneyBBQ
    TNHoneyBBQ Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Hi Hollis,

thanks for sharing your success tips. Looks like your goal is within sight and that is truly awesome! My exercise bit is just starting to roll. I walk, I ride a recumbent bike at home and have a bike on campus that I ride to and from the parking garage when the weather is decent. I picked up a set of beginners hand weights today to start using to raise the cardio effect on my treadmill and indoor bike. I'm trying to be careful and not overdo. I'm waiting on a book from the library that is about hand weight routines for women, that's going to be my guide. I'm trying to build habits that I feel confident I can keep going with for the long haul. I know I wouldn't stick with a gym, from past experience.

The best way I could fit exercise into my life is to do it after work. I come home and do it first before we eat. I try to cook up a couple of things on the weekend that we can warm up for dinner through the week, and have salad makings on hand too if we want something very simple. Exercise comes first though; hubby can warm up his own dinner or make his own salad if I'm not done when he is ready to eat.

keep us posted on how things are going! Carol
  • seventeendayer
    seventeendayer Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    For strength training, I do the AB DIET WORKOUT DVD, 3 X a week. It works your abs, glutes, quadriceps, hamstrings, back, shoulders, biceps, triceps, an overall good workout using dumbbells. It is progressive as you get stronger by increasing the weights, more repetitions of the circuit training, and following a more difficult circuit. So far it has been pretty motivating for me. My problem is I get bored with routines easily in exercise.
  • momc4sons
    Options
    I try to walk as often as I can. I prefer outside as a treadmills are boring and mine is loud. If I'm a mile from home that means I have to walk back and not cheat and just get off…pretty clever, huh? I also love to ride my bike in warmer weather and swim. I have a bunch of exercise videos that I try to do several times a week. My favorite is Body Electric by Margaret Richards. I'm wearing it out.
  • burlingtongrl
    burlingtongrl Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    For my exercise I walk outside mostly, but in really bad weather I will take a class at my gym or even the local rec ctr. I got a gym membership for the winter, but don't use it too much if the weather is good because I would much rather be outside. For the next 3 months, my goal is to go at least twice a week in addition to my walking. I am getting down to those last 15 lbs and it is getting harder to get the weight off.
  • sigridolsen
    sigridolsen Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Hello ladies,

I'm Sigrid Olsen originally from Edmonton, Alberta, Canada currently residing in Amman, Jordan. I'm in Jordan for work and it's currently my second year in the Middle East. Last year I was in Doha, Qatar.

I decided when I went abroad that I wanted to change my lifestyle and I did it radically. I've dropped about 65 pounds and have gone from 240 pounds to 176. My goal is to reach anything from 120-145. I'll stop when I feel really healthy.

Right now I don't own a car as it's a burden to own one here. I've got mine parked at home, and who wants two car payments, right? I have to walk to work, uphill. It's also an uphill walk to the gym. Anytime I leave my home, I'm walking uphill which is good news. I walk as much as I can. I've also joined a gym and I do a Body Pump class (weight training to music… lots of squats, arms and other muscles being worked, I swim (currently 1500 m) and I will be starting to run soon. Some friends have invited me to participate in an Ironman competition this year (doubt I can do it) but I have committed to doing it in 2015. I'll need to be able to do a half marathon by then, bike 200 km and also swim 3000 m (3 km). Big goals but I think I can do it.

That's it about me… I'm motivated… eat good food and am loving the results. Looking forward to the connection with you all.

Sigrid
  • marciebrian
    marciebrian Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    Hi folks, I signed up for the 24 in January group which is 24 hours of exercise for the month. I'm stubborn and competitive so this was right up my alley. I go to the gym daily now and usually do a 4.2 walk at a 6.5 or 7 incline. I enjoy it but have to admit getting really bored so this coming weekend I'm going to start spinning classes to break up the monotomy
  • watchhillgirl
    watchhillgirl Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I recently moved and my apartment complex has a pretty decent gym! I usually run 5-6 miles then do some circuit training. Nike fitness app is awesome too, so that I can change this up a bit during g the week. On the weekends, my husband and I hike 6 miles ea h day (weather permitting).
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    I started moving my body just a few months ago. A recliner rat, before. Exercise is mostly indoor walking or using my stationary recumbent bike. Every now and then I'll do tae bo, zumba, yoga or fitness blender exercises from youtube. I have to be a little careful and sensible about exercise. I have spasmodic torticicollis so balance can be a bit of an issue. On a bad day when my neck is torking my head to the right I feel safe on the recumbent.
  • Longbowgilly
    Longbowgilly Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Hubby and I bought a Bowflex as our christmas pressie to each other so we are currently doing the beginners routine 3 days a week.
  • HollisGrant
    Options
    Hi Hollis,

That's terrific that you were able to lose weight and add so much movement. When I last worked, I would walk up to 8 hours a day on my job and I loved being outside so much. Right now I am able to do weight training as long as I can be seated. I'm especially keen to keep my quads strong to support my knees and I use the machines at the gym to do that. However I no longer have a membership, and my current goal is to join a gym in February when I've settled into a new place.

Hi mabug, that's great that you're doing weight training. I don't belong to a gym but I'm trying to do some exercises where I use my own body weight. That's a good idea to do exercises to keep your knees strong. Last year I started the running program C25K and loved it because I had a beautiful place to run, but stopped because I got some knee pain I'd never had before. Same problem with doing squats. I should look into quad strengthening too.
  • HollisGrant
    Options
    Hi Hollis,

thanks for sharing your success tips. Looks like your goal is within sight and that is truly awesome! My exercise bit is just starting to roll. I walk, I ride a recumbent bike at home and have a bike on campus that I ride to and from the parking garage when the weather is decent. I picked up a set of beginners hand weights today to start using to raise the cardio effect on my treadmill and indoor bike. I'm trying to be careful and not overdo. I'm waiting on a book from the library that is about hand weight routines for women, that's going to be my guide. I'm trying to build habits that I feel confident I can keep going with for the long haul. I know I wouldn't stick with a gym, from past experience.

The best way I could fit exercise into my life is to do it after work. I come home and do it first before we eat. I try to cook up a couple of things on the weekend that we can warm up for dinner through the week, and have salad makings on hand too if we want something very simple. Exercise comes first though; hubby can warm up his own dinner or make his own salad if I'm not done when he is ready to eat.

keep us posted on how things are going! Carol

Hi Carol. That's great that you have an exercise bike. I used to have one (it belonged to my late husband and was a very nice one in good condition)... I never used it and was always stubbing my toe on it, so I ran an ad in the newspaper and gave it away to make sure somebody took it. I could kick myself now. I'm looking at those bikes online to see about buying another one. It's very hard to exercise outside where I live in the winter so I need a better plan for winter.

I agree about not overdoing. It's easy when you feel enthusiastic to try to take on the world and knock out a huge amount of exercise, but this is a lifestyle change so whatever we do should be something we can maintain and that our bodies can build up to doing. That's also nice that your husband is ready to help out with dinner.
  • HollisGrant
    Options
    Lowbowgilly, that's fantastic. I would love to own a Bowflex.

Sigrid, that's wonderful that you walk to work. I'm a walker, too, and since I started leaving my car at home and walking everybody my health has really improved (and my bank account since I hardly buy gas anymore).

momc4sons, I feel the same way about walking outside.... once I walk somewhere, I have to walk back! I can't just get off like on a treadmill. I love the out of doors and can't wait for spring.

watchhillgirl, that's fabulous that you and your husband hike 6 miles in good weather. Awesome!
  • tiffd1000
    Options
    I am 26 Yr old Work full time & in the Air National Guard. I work out to help keep my waist under control for my PT tests... since I am tall I am always really close to the max measurement(it is stressful b/c I don't really consider myself fat- just a little chunky :) In Oct I joined a boot camp class paid $90 for three days a week at 0500! I wake up at 0400 to go do it and then get ready for work after then... and I make sure I am at that class so I don't waste my money! I try to move as much as possible during the day(more you move the more calories are burned!). I am a secretary so it requires a lot of sitting… but instead of calling folks I get my butt up and make the face to face contact(they cannot avoid me then :P). I know a lot of people get on the bandwagon after new year’s but I am telling you… 2014 is going to be big for my husband and I as far as fitness goes.
    As far as workouts go, I like most anything that gets my heart pumping! I love Circuit training type situations. I try yoga every now and again hoping to like it haha but it so boring to me.
  • pam4413
    pam4413 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Ya'll are putting me to shame. I can see I am going to have to put some more movement into my day. I have a difficult time saying the E word. Healthy living, movement, run it all works for me.
  • jpilley
    jpilley Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Hi all:

Thanks to Hollis for starting this topic. Now what do I do???

My main focus is to get my running ability to something other than "couch" level. This time of year I depend on my trusty ole friend, the treadmill. I begin by finding a pace that I can run (non-stop) for at least a quarter of a mile. Each day I up it by going another quarter of a mile but stay consistent at my speed until I hit the last quarter and then I up it by a tenth. I do this until I get to a 3 mile run (no stopping). And then I start over again beginning with a one mile run at the higher speed. This takes me about 7 - 9 days as some days I run further if I feel good enough but then I am at the next level. I also run at a 2% incline - this mimics the ups and downs of running outside on supposedly flat ground. About once a month until Spring when I can get outside, I will do a long run. Hopefully when the weather improves I will be ready to go for my daily 3 - 4 mile runs.

I don't lift but plan on starting once I drop 10 pounds. Probably not the best workout plan but I gotta have a plan and this works for me. Running is addictive and I feel so much better after I MAKE myself climb on old Bessie. Sometimes we have had to have long talks as she is determined to get the better of me.
  • 2essie
    2essie Posts: 2,867 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone

Good to hear what you are all doing for exercise.

I have a set of kettlebells and I get my routine off youtube. There are lots of different exercises on there all free. The kettlebells combine cardio and strength. I also try and walk about 150 miles a month. I was going to cut this down when I started the kettlebells but somehow I can't stop walking. I have two dogs that I take out and on top of that I do a Leslie Sanson walk at home video, again on youtube. She does anything from one mile to five miles. I do like her five mile walk and do this first thing in the morning. It gets me going for the day.

I have mixed views on whether I enjoy exercise or not. I think I have just become addicted to it and sometimes I have to force myself to rest. I am a lot fitter for doing it and now have a resting heart rate of around 42, which my doctor is very pleased with.

Anyway, keep doing what you all do. It sounds great to me.
  • mabug01
    mabug01 Posts: 1,273 Member
    Options
    I did find a sitting aerobic routine at this link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jhFsxW_Q5Y&feature=youtu.be

I've done it and you do get your heart rate up a bit. I recommend it for people with knee problems. Let me know how you like it.
  • LovemyTysonboy
    Options
    Hi everyone,

So wonderful for Hollis posting this about exercising. My husband and I are both retired so we go to the gym five days a week.
    Since my Dr told me not to lift heavy weights anymore it had but a damper on things. I had never tried any of the exercise classes that they have at our gym but due to the circumstances I decided to give them a try. We have a fabulous gym that is called The Salvation Army Kroc Center. They have any class you can think of and they are all fre. It comes with our membership. I am currently doing a strength class, stretching class ( who would have thought a stretching class could get you sore), Zumba, Abb class, and a pump class. Oh and I do an hr of cardio on the elliptical cause of my knees or walk on the treadmill for five days. I'm kinda an exercise nut.

For those of you who want to lift weights remember your form is the most important thing cause you can hurt yourself if not done properly. When I first started I was scared cause I was going by myself and really didn't know what to do. I invested in a personnel trainer to show me and I did my homework when it came to finding one. Matter of fact when I go back to Houston,TX for a visit in May I have an appt with him to show me how to lift light and be able to get a good workout. He also showed my husband what to look for when he was spotting me lifting the heavier weights. So I'll be able to work out with my hubby again a few days a week cause I like these new classes. Plus I've met some nice women so it's a plus for me.

Hope this helps some.