Purging after Binging?

Options
Hey you guys. I haven't seen anything on this. I know we speak about The Binge more freely than The Purge, but since it isn't discussed often (not at all that I've seen) in this group, I was starting to wonder if I'm the only one who purges after a binge. I would not call myself bulemic because I don't throw up after every meal. I only throw up after large meals/binges because of the regret. I know we all have the regret... do you guys just let it sit inside of you or do you also feel relief after throwing it up? I have found this to worsen my binges over time because I KNOW I'm just going to purge it out, so I say to hell with it, I'm going to fill up if it's all going to come out anyway.

BTW, I have a nutritionist and accountability coach who I finally discussed these issues with after doing this for the last 10 years. I report to him every single day on my food intake, if I binged or purged that day, exercise, etc. Gladly, I have only binged/purged 3 times in this last month since being accountable to him, which is huge for me. Before, that'd be more like 3 times a week.

Replies

• phabphour20
    Options
    Check out the book Overcoming Binge Eating by Fariburn. It has helpful technical information about the various types of binge eating. I found it incredibly helpful.

My psychologist told me that I likely have bulimia since I had often fasted for extended periods of time to crudely counteract my binges.

Here is the definition from the Mayo Clinic...

"Bulimia (boo-LEE-me-uh) nervosa, commonly called bulimia, is a serious, potentially life-threatening eating disorder. People with bulimia may secretly binge — eating large amounts of food — and then purge, trying to get rid of the extra calories in an unhealthy way. For example, someone with bulimia may force vomiting or do excessive exercise. Sometimes people purge after eating only a small snack or a normal-size meal.

Bulimia can be categorized in two ways:

Purging bulimia. You regularly self-induce vomiting or misuse laxatives, diuretics or enemas after bingeing.
    Nonpurging bulimia. You use other methods to rid yourself of calories and prevent weight gain, such as fasting, strict dieting or excessive exercise."

What you are describing is behavior that you should likely talk to a mental health professional about. I have found my therapist to be INCREDIBLY helpful in trying to understand why I behave the way I do. It is more than simply overeating for me. It is deeply rooted behavior that I have done for 20 years. I am finally starting to learn why and am able to begin treating the disease and not just the symptoms.

It is a big step to talk to anyone about it. You should be proud.
  • UpperBodyLowerBody
    UpperBodyLowerBody Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Wow, thank you for sharing that. That describes me exactly it seems. It was definitely relieving to talk to somebody about it and has really helped. We decided that by the end of our three months together, I want to get my binging/purging completely under control because it is what is holding me back. Having to be accountable and admit why I did binge/purge is really helping out... then especially discussing how it happened. In two of the last three incidences it was because of eating out with friends, ordering poorly, feeling guilty, purging. So now I'm really trying to avoid the situations where I would binge, but if I'm put in a place where I could, make sure to be smart about what I'm ordering and eating.

Anyway, thank you so much again. I will look into that book.