Nutrition Balance for women

Options
Aa0406
Aa0406 Posts: 9 Member
Hi everyone,

I am posting to this group in hopes we can figure out this together. I am constantly tweaking my diet trying to find optimal balance of protein/carbs/fat intake.
I found this great article on nutrition: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2564387/. It a bit too "medical", but it still conveys couple of great points. That's what I took out of it:

1. Women use less carbs and more fats for energy during training, as opposed to men
2. Protein is important for building lean muscle (no news here), but women may need a bit more than men.
3. Typical diet for an athlete should look like this: protein - 35%, fats - 30% and carbs - 35%.
4. Those nutrients should come from "good" foods containing quality fats, proteins and carbs

Now, my question is what a typical diet should be for women, who are not athletes and have good amount of fats stored in the body?

Any thoughts?

Replies

• jstout365
    jstout365 Posts: 1,686 Member
    Options
    I don't personally think there is a "typical" macro breakdown for women, or men for that matter. Dietary needs will change over time and certain activities may require more of one macro nutrient over another for a time.

One thing to remember is that eating fat will not prevent your body from using its own fat stores for energy when you are eating at a deficit. Some women find a diet high in fat, low in carbs works for them. I can't operate without carbs. I personally aim for 45% carbs, 30% protein, 25% fat. (It has been more like 40/30/30 lately) That works for me and I'm happy with where it leaves me food wise. I don't feel like I am lacking when it comes to training and I can avoid hunger even at 1600 calories. It took me a while to get this ratio figured out. I tried lower carb/higher protein, but I wasn't digesting the protein well over a certain point and that just got annoying.
  • hnsaunde
    hnsaunde Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    That's an interesting read for sure, and what I got from the article is this:

1. Women use less carbs and more fats for energy during training, as opposed to men

I would add that the article seems to say they also used less energy from protein as well.

2. Protein is important for building lean muscle (no news here), but women may need a bit more than men.

I don't think it's necessarily saying women need more protein than men, but it's saying that women typically eat less protein than men, and they recommend the opposite when the woman is resistance training.

3. Typical diet for an athlete should look like this: protein - 35%, fats - 30% and carbs - 35%.

Well, it says that protein should be in the 10-35% range, and not "low fat", as in under 15%, and while carbs are still a good energy source, athletes doing resistance training should not be on high carb diets. I didn't see anywhere where they pointed out a specific macro ratio, but it's also very medical, like you pointed out, so I might have missed it.

4. Those nutrients should come from "good" foods containing quality fats, proteins and carbs

Yep, I got that too.

Now, my question is what a typical diet should be for women, who are not athletes and have good amount of fats stored in the body?

I think it would depend on what the women are doing for training, because this article is focused on strength and power athletes.

The article does seem to stress that most women need to be educated on energy balance, because most aren't eating enough to give themselves the energy needed to properly strength train. So (extrapolating) they need to eat enough to have energy, but still need a caloric deficit to rid themselves of excess body fat, while strength training, but not too high of one.

They even go as far as to say that women with too high or too frequent of daily energy deficits seem to have a higher body fat percentage than other female strength training athletes.

If they are strength training, then following the moderate protein, moderate fat, moderate carb ratio (35P/30F/35C) would probably be a good way to go to get the protein synthesis (which I'm assuming is important in either building muscle, or retaining lean muscle mass), but overall calorie consumption is important. They would need to determine that balance between eating enough, and not eating more than their total energy expenditure.

The article does say that a high carb diet isn't optimal for strength training, but conversely, it doesn't say it's bad for endurance training. If women use less glycogen during resistance training, it doesn't mean they use less during endurance training, and I think that's an important distinction.

This is pretty beyond my very basic knowledge of the body and nutrition though, so I could be completely off base on all of this!
  • Aa0406
    Options
    Thank you for your thoughts on this.

I am trying to figure out my macronutrients ratio within my calorie deficit range to progress doing StrongLifts and lower body fat %. I have been tweaking my calorie intake for couple of years without great success in reducing body fat. I am finally tired of putting a lot of effort into watching what I eat and exercising and not reaching my goals. I have decided to start heavy lifting and use a more scientific approach to the whole nutrition process. I have to admit, that carbs are my weakness and while I was eating within my calorie limit, I believe, I can progress better in weightlifting and lowering my body fat.

I have been looking into tweaking my macronutrients and thought I got a good idea on what to try, but it still sort of new-ish to me, so I, guess, it may take some time to find what works for you. The article steered me into being aware that nutrition for men and women who do strength training may be a bit different. I, also, got tons of useful information at Eat, Train, Progress group.
  • UpperBodyLowerBody
    UpperBodyLowerBody Posts: 44 Member
    Options

I am trying to figure out my macronutrients ratio within my calorie deficit range to progress doing StrongLifts and lower body fat %. I have been tweaking my calorie intake for couple of years without great success in reducing body fat. I am finally tired of putting a lot of effort into watching what I eat and exercising and not reaching my goals. I have decided to start heavy lifting and use a more scientific approach to the whole nutrition process. I have to admit, that carbs are my weakness and while I was eating within my calorie limit, I believe, I can progress better in weightlifting and lowering my body fat.

I have been looking into tweaking my macronutrients and thought I got a good idea on what to try, but it still sort of new-ish to me, so I, guess, it may take some time to find what works for you. The article steered me into being aware that nutrition for men and women who do strength training may be a bit different. I, also, got tons of useful information at Eat, Train, Progress group.

I am seeing a nutritionist/accountability coach to lose weight but keep up my lifts and muscle mass. I'm currently on a 40% protein, 30% carb, 30% fat diet with 1440 calories total. While I know that caloric intake seems low to a lot of people, I am literally shoveling food down my throat to try and meet this goal, and usually never do. I never realized how much I inflate my diet with carbs until doing this. Replacing carbs with protein has admittedly been difficult because of how filling it is. I used to think carbs were filling. NO! 5 oz of chicken breast for only 150 calories is filling, fo sho! It is working incredibly well for me, and I've kept up all of my lifts and have even hit a PR in bench. I'm about to finally break into the 120s... something I never was able to accomplish on my own by just "watching what I ate".
  • Aa0406
    Options
    Thank you, UpperBodyLowe. I see that your goals are very close to what I determined for myself. I have, also, figured out through various calculations that my calorie intake should be 1500/day and I should eat back my exercise calories. I was concerned at some point that this is too low, but I have double checked with other systems, including MFP and feel that it's my macronutrients ratio maybe responsible for slow progress. I am 5'7" and 178lb.
  • hnsaunde
    hnsaunde Posts: 757 Member
    Options

The ETP group and this group are pretty much my go-to's for anything fitness and nutrition related, I love them!

What I'm currently doing (and this is a trial/error thing that I'm trying out), is I'm setting my protein levels and fat levels as minimums, and letting my carbs fall where they may. Some days I end up low carb, some days I end up higher carb, but since I've stepped up my heavy lifting, I'm making it so my main focus is getting enough protein, fat and fiber. I find especially that eating more fiber is helping me feel more full throughout the day.

I'm set at 1700 calories, which is my TDEE-15% (I tried 20% but it was too aggressive and I was hungry ALL THE TIME!). My protein and fat goals are set based on the recommendation in the ETP group. I weigh 153 pounds, and my LBM is approximately 109 pounds, so my minimum protein intake each day is 109 grams, and my minimum fat intake is 55 grams per day. This works out to being between 25-30% protein, 30% fat, and then the carbs fall at 40%.

I rounded up for protein, so I set my goals to the following:

30% protein=128 grams per day minimum
    30% fat=57 grams per day minimum
    Minimum of 22 grams of fiber per day
    Fill the rest of my day with carbs, or more protein and fat if I feel like it

I'm testing this out for a month or so, to see how it's impacting my training progress, sleep, how well I can stick to the plan, what my weight loss is like, etc. and then re-assess from there.

I don't eat back my exercise calories because I included them when I did my TDEE calculation.