Advice for New Diabetic?

Hello,

Just before Christmas, I was diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes. I started Metformin on December 30th, and the dose was doubled by my doctor on January 3rd. My numbers are still all over the place. I've had a reading as low as 184 and as high as 304. I know I haven't been on the medication that long, and from what I've heard, it takes a few weeks for it to really kick in. But I'm worried. I've been eating the right way (sticking to the 45-15-45-15-45 carb counting method), and getting plenty of vegetables and healthy foods. I've been walking (light walks during my lunch hour, nothing strenuous), and going to bed at a good time. I feel great. I have energy and I've been losing weight (in fact, I'm down 7 pounds since beginning the Metformin). My headaches are all but gone and my blood pressure has been good. Am I just being impatient by expecting the blood sugar to come down so soon? Does anyone have any advice for someone just starting out? Anything you could share would help. Thank you.

~ newfashiongirl

Replies

• javonjay76
    javonjay76 Posts: 48 Member
    Hi,
    Sounds like you've got a great start! Yes, for awhile you're numbers wil be all over the place as you get control over your diabetes. I'm going into my 2nd year with it and my fasting numbers are still not where I want it to be because I've been trying to find a med that works for me.

I've had a hard time with denial and the "unfairness" of it all so PLEASE don't be so hard on yourself if your numbers are not PERFECT everyday.

:) Hope that helps!
  • newfashiongirl
    newfashiongirl Posts: 7 Member
    Luckily, after the initial emotions of reaction were over, I haven't had a lot of trouble with the emotional side of things. I just want to make sure I'm doing my part. I have several co-workers who have diabetes and always just eat whatever they want, thinking the medication is going to work all on it's own. I don't want to be one of those people.

Thank you. This did help a lot.
  • nczuczu
    nczuczu Posts: 611 Member
    Welcome to MFP Type 2 Diabietes Support Group. You have found a great place to get answers. Just keep at doing what you are doing...eating according to what your doctor suggests and getting in excerise are two of the things that will help with those numbers. I have been living with diabetes for 8 years now. They started me on metformin too, but I didn't change my eating habits or get any exercise. Now, I am on insulin. When I am eating healthy and moving around, my numbers most definitely go down. Patience and consistency are your best friend. Take care!
  • newfashiongirl
    I am very much trying to avoid insulin. When the doctor told me I had diabetes it was a wake up call for sure. I just know that my blood pressure has gone down a lot and my weight and I wonder why my blood sugars aren't going down. I will try to be patient though. Thanks!
  • bdubya55
    bdubya55 Posts: 506 Member
    Hello,

Just before Christmas, I was diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes. I started Metformin on December 30th, and the dose was doubled by my doctor on January 3rd. My numbers are still all over the place. I've had a reading as low as 184 and as high as 304. I know I haven't been on the medication that long, and from what I've heard, it takes a few weeks for it to really kick in. But I'm worried. I've been eating the right way (sticking to the 45-15-45-15-45 carb counting method), and getting plenty of vegetables and healthy foods. I've been walking (light walks during my lunch hour, nothing strenuous), and going to bed at a good time. I feel great. I have energy and I've been losing weight (in fact, I'm down 7 pounds since beginning the Metformin). My headaches are all but gone and my blood pressure has been good. Am I just being impatient by expecting the blood sugar to come down so soon? Does anyone have any advice for someone just starting out? Anything you could share would help. Thank you.

~ newfashiongirl

You've made a great decision by taking control, I commend you for creating a plan to include healthy food choices along with finding time to introduce some additional exercise. The great lifestyle changes you've made will be very beneficial to your blood sugar control and overall health moving forward.

Congrats on your weight loss, that's wonderful. Good Job!

You've been given wonderful advise already.

You're dong great!...One day at at time with this and,....perfection doesn't exist, improvements do.
  • You're making important changes in your food choices, eating habits and activity level and you're seeing results. That's really encouraging! Lack of sleep and stress can also increase blood sugar levels. Some people have high blood sugars at certain times of the day. And sometimes there's no explanation for a high :) Diabetes develops over a period of years, and you've been managing diabetes for just about 1 month. I think you're doing great so far! ~Lynn /Glucerna
  • Amazon_Who
    Amazon_Who Posts: 1,092 Member
    Metformin can take a month to start working and your doctor may decide to up the dosage again. I take 1500mg of the extended release daily.

Do you have a meter? If so, how often do you test?
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,553 Member
    http://www.ncl.ac.uk/magres/research/diabetes/reversal.htm

Keep losing weight. I lost 20% of body weight, which brought my hba1c right down and was advised to stop taking metformin. Link above to a study at Newcastle University that shows losing fat in liver and pancreas can reverse diabetes.
  • cathylopez1975
    cathylopez1975 Posts: 191 Member
    .I have several co-workers who have diabetes and always just eat whatever they want, thinking the medication is going to work all on it's own. I don't want to be one of those people.

You've got the hard part down! It IS about what we eat, as well as what we do. When I was first diagnosed I didn't think it was that big of a deal. I'd take a pill and go on with my life. I didn't make the good changes you are going for. I was obese and ate like it. So the meds really didn't do their job. Give the metformin and good eating some time.

Good luck on your journey!
  • newfashiongirl
    Thanks. :)
  • newfashiongirl
    My doctor just called and upped my medication to 2000 mg of Metformin and added 10 mg a day of Glipizide because my A1C pre-medication was 11. The medication had started working over the weekend. I was under 200 both days and was very excited about this. The doctor changing my medication again was so discouraging. :(
  • retiree2006
    retiree2006 Posts: 951 Member
    Understandable that it's discouraging when you see improvement yet the doctor ups the meds. Keep working on your food choices and exercise and next time around they might decrease them again. It takes a bit of time but work toward that goal...you can do it! And it's so nice when you can impress the doctor! Many on here have done just that!
  • cathylopez1975
    cathylopez1975 Posts: 191 Member
    Good that it's started working! Just hang in there! An 11 A1C definitely needs intervention. The sooner you can get closer to normal range the better. One of the reasons I finally got on the stick with controlling my BG is that I started showing complications of diabetes - kidney stuff. I realized that my quality of life could get bad and I didn't want that. I've got a grandbaby that I want to play with and be there for as he grows.

And this medication stuff doesn't have to be forever! Like Retiree2006 said, make that a goal. You just show that doctor what you can do:smile:
  • That's great news that you're seeing lower blood sugar readings! The current guidelines recommend different amounts of medication based on A1c at diagnosis. By continuing with all the healthy changes you've put in place, you're doing the best you can not only to improve your health and diabetes control, but also to be able to reduce medications. Keep up the good work! ~Lynn /Glucerna
  • newfashiongirl
    Thanks for all your advice and encouragement everyone. It's really helped a lot. I don't know many diabetics offline so having a place to come is great. Right now, I'm just trying to resist the donuts! :D