Trapped in a glass case of emotion! ;)

Options
I'm trying to figure out if my sudden propensity for tears has any correlation with keto, and if it does, what I can do to chill things out.

It could absolutely just be a coincidence. I have a lot of stress right now and my mom is about to turn 60 in a couple weeks - that just feels far too old for my mommy! :p But I usually deal with stress without a lot of outward emotion, so it just seems odd that I'm crying a LOT lately. Not any major breakdowns, but a lot of welling up, choking up, whimpering, etc. I cry in the car to the new Beyonce album even though music rarely makes me cry. I got choked up today telling the guy at the used bookstore that I appreciated that he has a wide variety of LSAT prep books at very reasonable prices. I get choked up every time I complete a practice LSAT and calculate my score.. and I'm not sad bc its too low or particularly proud of what it is. These are not things to be emotional about!!

BOTTOM LINE: Has anybody else felt a little more emotional? I'm about 6 weeks in, if that helps. (Also, I don't think is TOM bc I've been dealing with this for weeks.)

Replies

• camtosh
    camtosh Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    No chance you might be pregnant? That was a roller coaster time for me :) . Actually, since going on LCHF, my emotions have been much more level, and I quickly noticed that when I ate more carbs over the holidays, I got angry and pessimistic a lot more often. Hang in there! Emotions are human.
  • epcooper
    epcooper Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I have the opposite effect. I feel much more emotionally stable when I'm keto, especially around my period. I used to get irrationally angry and sad before my period started. I'd even tear up during sad commercials. Now though, I no longer have periods where I feel like I'm on the edge of a cliff...I'm just very even-keeled. I've been keto-ing since October with about a 6-week break over the holidays.
  • bacitracin
    bacitracin Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    I have the opposite effect. I feel much more emotionally stable when I'm keto

Male here, with mild Aspergers, ADHD, some chronic depression... and yeah, keto helps me stabilize a LOT.
  • Roze_Lintje
    Roze_Lintje Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    You made me think about this, but I actually have the opposite effect as well. I would have bad mood swings, now I'm much more stable. I think it's a combination of keto and magnesium. During shark week I still have the moods swings though, ugh hormones.
  • mamamudbug
    mamamudbug Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I went through that. Probably around the same time. I don't have any studies to back it up but I suspected it must be about the time when people talk about becoming keto adapted. I was hoping that it was just my brain working it's way through the change over. I just kept my carbs at 20g and kept my fat up and kept on ketoing. Eventually it tapered off.
  • mamamudbug
    Options
    I went through that. Probably around the same time. I don't have any studies to back it up but I suspected it must be about the time when people talk about becoming keto adapted. I was hoping that it was just my brain working it's way through the change over. I just kept my carbs at 20g and kept my fat up and kept on ketoing. Eventually it tapered off.
  • mamamudbug
    Options

I went through my reports last night and the last sentence is not entirely true. When I went through it I was doing a little better at keep my carbs under control but over all my diary shows that I've been struggling. The emotional stuff did taper off. If anyone is struggling, go through your diary. You'll see what you were doing your good days and bad. Leave notes as to why it was good or bad. Put the emotional stuff in there. Eventually you'll see a pattern and be grateful for that info.
  • SlyGirl67
    Options
    I have gone keto to help with my emotions. I feel like I'm on a more even keel when I'm eating this way.
  • hernamewasdana
    Options
    Thanks, folks! I appreciate everyone's perspective! And to answer the first reply: NOPE! Not with child!

I'll try to get a little more magnesium and try not to sweat it too much until life calms down a bit.
  • DintheT
    Options
    When I started keto, my emotions did go wild near and during my period. I found reports that this was likely, but also usually stabilized after being on the diet longer.

I wasn't on hormonal birth control in the beginning of my dieting. I started hormonal bc about 2 months ago: low-dose Seasonique. (So I don't have to go through that crap every month! And my doc told me I don't even have to have my period every three months, just skip the placebo pills!)

I'm still adjusting to the pills, getting a lot of headaches (which should supposedly abate with time). But I do find my emotions to be more stable now. Not entirely sure if it's the skipping periods, or if I'm just better adapted to the keto diet.