Going to the movies will get you in trouble

Options
tgipso
tgipso Posts: 10 Member
I like going out to the movies. But, with the popcorn and candy, it is a lose lose situation. I had a refill of the popcorn bucket and I had peanut butter M&Ms. I did burn over 800 calories yesterday morning working out but my movie theater eating killed that workout. :(

Replies

• GabyBaby916
    GabyBaby916 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    The smell of the popcorn is a temptation that I give in to more often than not, unfortunatley. However, I've started bringing my own snacks from home (yay for Big Purse) and then just buy a bottle of water at the theater.
  • michybeans
    Options
    It's all about willpower. If you truly want to achieve your fitness goals, you will make healthy choices. That can include eating M&Ms or whatever if you have the calorie budget for it that day. Personally I like bringing something from home, like a granola bar, or just eating nothing and having a drink instead. I usually drink water but I like those flavoured waters too, like Vitamin Water etc. One of those is like a treat.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I eat the popcorn. I don't go to the movies every day or even every month. I eat the popcorn. I enjoy the movie more. :smile:
  • Veganmafia
    Veganmafia Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    pack your own snacks. pack crunchy snacks and focus on the film
  • tgipso
    tgipso Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the good suggestions. I am planning on seeing Captain Phillips over the weekend. So, I am going to hide one of those 100 calorie popcorn bags in my purse and maybe bring some grapes or something. Grapes are like candy to me. :)
  • Pizazz16
    Pizazz16 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Another good thing to do is to eat well right before going to the movies. When I'm satisfied even my favorite foods are not at all tempting. :smile:
  • sphere720
    Options
    Another good thing to do is to eat well right before going to the movies. When I'm satisfied even my favorite foods are not at all tempting. :smile:

This is what I was going to suggest. Usually works for me.
  • RoseGoldDinosaur
    RoseGoldDinosaur Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    The last few times I went to the movies, I just swung by Whole Foods first. I grab kale chips for crunch and those pre-chopped fruit containers for sweet. It worked out okay and the fiancé tried to steal some of my fruit even after having his own popcorn! It's not always a winning situation, but if you have your own version of a treat I think that helps (has to feel like a treat though).
  • gypsyone96
    Options
    bring a poptart or a blueberry bagel or something. I have one almost everyday...as long as it fits my macros!
  • VictoriaWorksOut
    VictoriaWorksOut Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Eat before you go to movies. I think it is just a bad habit to eat while watching movies or TV - it is mindless eating. I never got popcorn for my kids when they were growing up when we went to movies, and it is not an issue now when they are grown.

Watch this video, it might help to turn away from microwave and movie theater popcorn, instead make your own from plain corn.
    Microwave Popcorn Toxicity I What The Heck Are You Eating I Everyday Health :
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6sqRLgTgLw
  • njitaliana
    njitaliana Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I go to a theater that sells coffee. While my family munches on popcorn, I drink decaf coffee.
  • KatherinesRiver
    Options
    I use my air popper and make it without butter then sneak it into the movies with me. A lot less calories that way! This can help you resist the rest of the crud they sell there.:bigsmile:
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    I LOVE popcorn but it doesn't love me so I can't eat it anymore even if I had the calorie allowance. I have to be gluten and pretty much grain free due to intolerances which means the stuff at the theater is off limits. It's good for me in some respects but sucky too. I sneak in dark chocolate, nuts or my favorite dark chocolate covered almonds. My kids have started wanting to sneak in vegetables and dip if you can believe that! :D
  • serindipte
    serindipte Posts: 1,557 Member
    Options
    The smell of the popcorn is a temptation that I give in to more often than not, unfortunatley. However, I've started bringing my own snacks from home (yay for Big Purse) and then just buy a bottle of water at the theater.

This! I made it through my first ever movie over the weekend with NO popcorn. Even bought some for the two kids and didn't eat it.. but had a chocolaty Fiber One bar instead.
  • squisherz
    squisherz Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I don't think I could NOT have popcorn when I'm there... so now I take a bigger purse with me and put in a bag of air popped popcorn with Coconut oil and a bit of pink salt and my water bottle (the Costco Contigo water bottles are awesome and don't leak)

Way less calories way better for you and you don't feel like you are missing out :)