Feeling depressed - Day 5

Options
easto_79
easto_79 Posts: 102 Member
Hi guys

I've been back on my Keto diet for 5 days now, and today I just feel horrible depressed and down. I've been keeping my carbs very low this week and am wondering if that could be the cause of my blues. I've done Keto in the past and although I had expected the Keto flu I wasn't expecting this low feeling. My energy is ok just in general feel depressed and sad. Perhapes nothing to do with the diet could be just that time of year.

Anyone else feeling this way?

Replies

• crossroad2012
    crossroad2012 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Yep! I know exactly why you are feeling depressed. You aren't eating enough fat. From what I see in your diary you are doing low carb high protein. It should be low carb high fat moderate protein. I know this because that is exactly how I used to eat and had a pretty bad bout of depression. Honestly, no one told me to up my fat. It just happened that at the same time this was going on I had just added a new friend to my MFP list and she was doing it the correct way. I nearly copied her diary everyday just to see if my weight would start melting off like hers. To my surprise my depression simply went away as well! I started looking up why that might be and it turns out that our brains love fat!

Google some research. I think that you will be pleasantly surprised too :) well...and your food will be so much tastier with added yummy fat!
  • bacitracin
    bacitracin Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    Coconut oil and multivitamins! :D

More sunshine and maybe some cardio for the endorphins?
  • RunForChai
    RunForChai Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Just one idea, sometimes we eat lots of carbs to swallow whatever sorrows we suffer from---when you stop comfort eating those emotions show up and demand attention......this may not apply to you, but it does for a lot of emotional eaters [who mostly eat carbs].

How can you deal with those blues---face your problems and find a way [art, music, therapy, exercise, writing] to deal with them.

Good luck!
  • kiramaniac
    kiramaniac Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    I second (third?) the comments about fat. Your fat and calories both look too low.
  • Roze_Lintje
    Roze_Lintje Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I also think you should eat more fat! And I don't know how the weather is there, but you could also try vitamin D and/or omega 3. But I would start with eating a lot more fat :)
  • easto_79
    easto_79 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys I've upped my fat a bit and feeling better. Thanks.
  • KetoPrimal
    Options
    I definitely agree with upping your fats. I think you should be upping them quite a bit. My ratios are generally 5-10% carbs, 20% protein and 70-75% fat.
  • Roze_Lintje
    Roze_Lintje Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Looking at your diary they are still pretty low. On average my percentages are 5% carbs, 20% protein and 75% fat. I'm eating about 115 - 130 grams of fat each day.
  • ThunderButt11
    ThunderButt11 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I agree with the "increasing the fats" assessment and I will add this...as your body loses fat, the things stored in the fat are also released which can bring about some hormone fluctuations until your body gets used to using fat as fuel ( i.e. Aunt Flo may come unexpectedly along with all of her baggage).
  • DintheT
    Options
    It's good that more fat is helping! This site is great for setting your intake goals: http://keto-calculator.ankerl.com/.

I would also say, that I felt really low energy and depressed when I was experiencing the keto-flu. A multi-vitamin, fish-oil, and D3 are good recommendations.

I know it sounds weird, but a cup of hot chicken bouillon really perked me up. Getting more magnesium and sodium can make a huge difference!