NSV (Non-Scale Victories)

Options

Replies

• Fodao
    Fodao Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    ...I passed by starbucks...

Stuff like this is the toughest for me. Not Starbucks, per se but convenient stores. A bad habit I developed about 10 years ago, while flagging for a construction crew, was stopping at convenient stores all the time. You couldn't help it--you shared a truck with 3 other flaggers, and the driver would invariably stop at the convenient store between jobs or on breaks. Then you'd load up on candy and chips and soda, even if you brought a lunch.

To this day, when I'm driving between jobs, it takes a lot of willpower for me not to drop into 7-eleven for one of those nasty-but-oh-so-yummy deep fried taquitos.

So good job on resisting the Siren's song of the Starbucks stop. :)
  • Fodao
    Fodao Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    My own NSV: After a bit of work yesterday in a neighboring town, I managed to talk a friend of mine into another hike: 5.5 miles to the top of a small butte just outside of town, for a total elevation gain of 1200-ish feet. I lugged up all my photo equipment (since I had it with me...weighed it when I got home, and it clocks in at 20#) and even got a few great sunset pics.

It's the 2nd week in a row I've gone out hiking, which is my New Year's resolution monthly quota. I think I'm going to squeeze a snowshoe trip (hiking on snow) in next weekend for good measure. That, and I haven't slept in a snowcave for 3-4 years.
  • AtLeastOnceMore
    AtLeastOnceMore Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    My own NSV: After a bit of work yesterday in a neighboring town, I managed to talk a friend of mine into another hike: 5.5 miles to the top of a small butte just outside of town, for a total elevation gain of 1200-ish feet. I lugged up all my photo equipment (since I had it with me...weighed it when I got home, and it clocks in at 20#) and even got a few great sunset pics.

It's the 2nd week in a row I've gone out hiking, which is my New Year's resolution monthly quota. I think I'm going to squeeze a snowshoe trip (hiking on snow) in next weekend for good measure. That, and I haven't slept in a snowcave for 3-4 years.

Oh, hiking! The walking that dreams are made of! Congrats on following through with your resolution, and on a great NSV! =)
  • TaraRichardson913
    TaraRichardson913 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    We ordered out and I planned everything what I was going to eat and am still under on my calories (even though they were from exercize)
  • lilmidnightwolf
    lilmidnightwolf Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Okay, so I posted a new pic of me on my profile.. mind you the date is wrong... it should be today's. Here's the question: Does anyone see a difference? Please be honest..Thanks!
  • AtLeastOnceMore
    Options
    Okay, so I posted a new pic of me on my profile.. mind you the date is wrong... it should be today's. Here's the question: Does anyone see a difference? Please be honest..Thanks!

Absolutely! You can see how your sides are starting to curve in to form the 'hourglass' shape, and you hold yourself differently, indicating a loss of mass. Well done!
  • jenabee610
    jenabee610 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Amazing job everyone! I love hearing all these NSV. It's important to remember them because focusing only on the numbers on a scale can be frustrating at times.

NSV for me. I've been keeping up with my exercise 5x a week. Whoohoo! I'm sticking to my routine this time. Also, I haven't had soda since the challenge started which is good for me because I do love me some Dr. Pepper and a Coke every once in while.

On a side note, I got new glasses this week and I love them. I'll try to post a new profile pic soon! haha
  • lilmidnightwolf
    lilmidnightwolf Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Absolutely! You can see how your sides are starting to curve in to form the 'hourglass' shape, and you hold yourself differently, indicating a loss of mass. Well done!
    [/quote]

Thank you for your input ...it means a lot hearing it from someone!
  • skittlesnhoney
    skittlesnhoney Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    *I've logged my food and exercise on MFP every day this year.
    *I cut out soda back in December and now only drink water, sustain from melaleuca, green tea and once a week as a treat, earl grey or coffee (haven't had the coffee yet this year).
    *I'm working out 4 days, resting a day, working out 4 days, resting a day (although my last rest day I had too much energy to actually "rest". Today is my rest day, we shall see how I do, lol
    *My size 12's are starting to get looser and I was able to comfortably wear a size 10 all day (although it hurt my hips at the end of the day)
    *I'm getting more sleep at night and haven't had any more bouts of insomnia since the last few days in December
  • AtLeastOnceMore
    Options
    *I cut out soda back in December and now only drink water, sustain from melaleuca, green tea and once a week as a treat, earl grey or coffee (haven't had the coffee yet this year).
    *I'm working out 4 days, resting a day, working out 4 days, resting a day (although my last rest day I had too much energy to actually "rest". Today is my rest day, we shall see how I do, lol
    *My size 12's are starting to get looser and I was able to comfortably wear a size 10 all day (although it hurt my hips at the end of the day)
    *I'm getting more sleep at night and haven't had any more bouts of insomnia since the last few days in December

Those are some genuinely awesome NSV's, Skittles!!! Glad you're getting some good sleep - makes it much easier to keep up the good work!!! =)
  • TaraRichardson913
    Options
    Skittles, that's impressive!!
  • Spambo16
    Spambo16 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I'm wearing a new pair of "thin" pants that I just bought on New Year's Eve day, and am finding today that I wish I had a belt for them - they keep sliding down.
  • TaraRichardson913
    Options
    Well I had a scale and nsv
    today I wore a pair of jeans that usually dig into my belly and give me a stomach ache (ya I know, stupid to wear them)
    But todayyyy I feel fine and didn't even notice til now
  • TaraRichardson913
    Options
    Wearing a pair of pants that were too small! Size 13 from Dynamite- yay!
    Other jeans are just a little too tight still
  • chasethesky125
    Options
    I don't have these crazy cravings for sugar alllll the time, and i can actually hold myself back.
    My body can realize when I'm full at 2000 calories or so (and i feel so full I can't eat for a day and half lol)
    I actually don't pillage my brother's gummy snacks, and i take one like a normal person.
    I drink more water!
    My size 12 jeans are getting looser :D
    and the best one (for me) my boobs are getting smaller :blushing:

~Rose:flowerforyou:
  • skittlesnhoney
    Options

Those are some genuinely awesome NSV's, Skittles!!! Glad you're getting some good sleep - makes it much easier to keep up the good work!!! =)

Thank you!
  • skittlesnhoney
    Options
    Skittles, that's impressive!!

Thank you Tara!

Congrats to you on your NSV's (and scale) victories as well!!!!
  • skittlesnhoney
    Options
    I had an awesome NSV today that I want to share. I've been struggling with the scale a little bit this week. The previous week I had lost 4.5 lbs. but this week I have been weighing in back up by 2 lbs. (Finally had a break through today).

So, I had my measurements taken on January 6th for a 12 week challenge. I was at the gym this morning and asked the trainer to take my measurements today, after 17 days of hard work and trying to eat healthy. I've lost 6 inches in my waist (holy heck!), 2 inches in my hips and 1.5 inches in my legs. I keep shaking my head in disbelief but I saw the numbers change and I do realize that my "muffin top" is diminishing! :bigsmile:
  • Spambo16
    Spambo16 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Skittles - that's outstanding on the measurements!!
  • boulevardMto180
    Options
    As I was jamming up/down the aisles in the grocery store (I swear they play the best music in Shoprite) it hit me that I hadn't had soda since 01/01/14!