Starting Tomorrow, any advice on what to buy & intimidation

Options
Hey guys! I am starting this workout tomorrow and super excited.
I just have a few questions as to if anyone bought anything to add to this program. I.e. protein powders (suggested or a must?), lifting gloves (is that what they are called? I feel like I will look all hardcore lifter with those even though I am just starting out and don't know how good my form will be). And clothing. Definitely need advice on clothing! I normally wear running shorts with inner briefs because I *used* to be the typical cardio gym person with very little weight lifting. Problem with the shorts is they ride up and when I squat my fat thighs hold them and pull them down. I am thinking tight capris would be the most comfortable? And I hate to say this but underwear or no underwear....(do note I sweat easily and a lot)

While I am making this topic, I also wanna ask if anyone got a little intimidated when first starting out. Like the workouts are going to need some of equipment, especially when you're alternating. Do you stake a claim in a certain area in the gym and do everything there or bounce around? Also, what do you guys do if some dudes are hogging an area...do you wait until they leave and do cardio in the mean time or what? My gym is very small and gauging an un-busy time to go is not possible sometimes.

So sorry for all the questions, I am starting alone, no partner and no trainer. So some advice would be appreciated!
Thanks!

Replies

• sleepyjen
    sleepyjen Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    Welcome!

I bought some protein powder but I hate it, so I don't drink it. Usually after I lift I'll have a greek yogurt, and my understanding of the books that came after NROL4W is that they no longer recommend the post-workout shake. I don't eat tremendous amounts of protein--usually 60-80g a day.

What I wear is dictated by how warm the gym is--I like snug capris that flare at the end a bit (so not just tights) and a racerback tank, but that's just me. I think you'll have to try things out and see what works. I don't go commando, but again, that's just me.

I am a planner--I read through the whole book, watched some videos on youtube, and talked to a friend of mine who is a trainer and another who's a competitive lifter before I headed into the gym. Mercifully, it was near empty the first day I went. You kind of need to bounce around, given how the workouts work--so you'll be using the barbell, and then some free weights, and then over to the rower, back to the free weights, etc. Now I just sort of walk around like I own the place :) But you have as much a right to the equipment as anyone else, so just put yourself out there.

GOod luck! Have fun!
    J.
  • Goal179
    Goal179 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I have a gym but it only has dumbells, so I made a small investment in a really heavy and sturdy weight bar and a few barbells to go with it. I wear very comfortable but form fitting clothes. When dealing with weights, you don't want a lot of baggy or lose clothing. I also just started. I am on my second workout. I read through the entire book a couple of times, then watched some videos on youtube to make sure I had the form correct. I also made some note cards with pictures to help me remember the order of the exercises and how they look. Lastly, I LOVE protein shakes for extra protein. You don't ahve to use whey protein unless you want. You can throw in flax seeds and chia seeds and greek yogurt and my favorite liquid egg whites. (the pasteurized kind) Good luck. Share pictures when you start to see results.
  • sami_83
    sami_83 Posts: 161
    Options
    I bought protein powder but it's pretty gross. The texture is weird. It's a vegan one because I'm not much of a dairy fan, so I am not sure if whey ones taste better or not. I prefer to get my protein from food where possible anyways. It really is an individual choice though! Do you get enough protein in your diet already? If you're pretty close to the mark you could just add a couple eggs or something to your day.
    I don't use gloves and I've just finished stage one. My hands are fine :) maybe just see how you go for now. You can always get some later on if you think you need them.
    As for clothes, again it's your own preference but I personally wear leggings and a singlet. I work out at home though so I can dress like a dag and it doesn't really matter. My singlet is kind of form-fitting though, so that when I do the prone jack-knives it doesn't hang down or end up around my shoulders!
    Will you be wearing sneakers? I go barefoot, but I hear converse are good shoes for lifting because the soles are pretty flat and hard.
    Undies are essential for me! TMI but if you don't like the sweaty gross feeling give pantyliners a go. I find they help a bit :)

Is there a trainer or someone at the gym that can give you a quick run down of the weights area? It would be pretty intimidating to go it alone at first. But hey at least you're doing it! It won't take long until you're 'owning' it, I'm sure :)
    Best of luck! Let us know how you go!
  • xoxoalys
    Options
    Thank you so much for getting back to me guys! And thanks for the encouragement!

I actually bought protein powder anyways because I wanted to make a few shakes (I used to do it with protein powder awhile ago but stopped when I stopped making shakes) for snacks.

As for clothes. I have a few compression capris that I will wear that are super comfy. I will plan to buy more tank tops cause the ones I have are almost see through from being sweated and worn on.

I guess I will wear undies, cause I know others don't, which is why I asked. (I am a big underwear-wearer person, no commando for me!)

As for the gym. I lifted weights on and off so I know the area. My worry is like for example, when you alternate push ups and seated row I don't wanna do push ups by the yoga area (where the mats are) then run over to cables then back and forth. Which I may have to do. Knowing my luck, the cables will be hogged (as they always are). So what do I do between waiting for the men to finish? Any advice? Maybe I can do jump rope or something.....
  • glreim21
    glreim21 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    The cables were always a hot commodity at my gym too. Sometimes I went out of order, if the cable machine was free, I would jump on it and do all the cable exercises back to back because I knew if I left it, someone else would take the machine. Also, learn some of the at home alternatives to the lifts, I had to do those a few times at my gym when the equipment I needed was being used. And btw I always wear underwear...visible panty lines me all, no shame:)
  • crystal8208
    crystal8208 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I'm with glreim21. I end up doing the routines that I'm working on in whatever order I can do them based on availability. Gloves haven't been needed yet. I always wear panties. Because I would be more self conscious without them. Seriously. I wear yoga pants and a comfy shirt. Sometimes a tank but not always. But a mostly fitted shirt none the less.
  • lawlorka
    lawlorka Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    I've just finished Stage 3. I wear the same clothes I used to wear for Cardio, usually capris and a top. My favourite lifting outfit is a pair of tight shorts and a string vest, no restrictions.

I never used Protein Powder. I try to eat eggs/tuna/chicken on my lifting days so get my protein that way.

I didn't use gloves for Stage 1, but then I started getting calluses on my hands, so I bought a pair. Its really personal choice. I like mine though (they are pink!)

I was terrified the first time I wandered in, and still feel a bit nervous at the start of every Stage when I don't know exactly what I'm doing, but I'm much better now. For the seated rows/press-ups, I dragged a box over to next to the seated row machine (as I can't do proper press ups!!!) and then I alternated. If there's someone using the machine, don't be afraid to ask to work in, its perfectly normal and they really won't mind - but sometimes you need to be flexible and mix the workout up a bit so you can get everything done. I go at the same time/days and they all recognise me now so have no issue with me being there.

The one thing I do advise though, try to always do the Squats/Deadlifts first otherwise you really won't be able to lift as heavy. You need all your energy to do them justice!
  • xoxoalys
    Options
    Thanks again guys for the honesty and tips!

I actually did the first day yesterday after clinical and being on my feet for 9 hours. Went pretty well. My gym was packed because I went at like 5p (I have no choice when to go on certain days...I either go at random times or none at all, but I will work with it). Pretty much what I expected, the guys were all hogging the cables. Luckily, in my gym, there is a little stretching area where all the swiss balls, kettlebell, yoga mats, and step tiers (???) right next to the cable machines. I got really lucky there and would do the squats first then set up the step up tier thingys to do push ups and went right over to do seated rows, (which when time came got unoccupied once I got to it! yay) So it wasn't all too bad. I just figured I would have to bring all my dumbbells and barbells to that area and hang around there.

So all in all went well. I felt like the workout was really easy at first. I used my BW first to see if I could last doing the reps and to check form. After that, I added weight and man did it get harder, but I pushed through. My big hurdle is the push-ups. I used to do 15 on the floor, no problem, now I have to use an angle to get all the reps in and even then I do like 8, hold myself up a little then finish. Oh, well progress will happen if I put my mind to it.

As for the outfits...underwear definitely! I broke such a sweat, more than I thought I would. Gloves will have to wait. I will see how I am doing in the 3-4th week and see if I need them. I bet I wont until stage 2. I do get calluses pretty easy so we will see....

Thanks again for listening and the advice! Keep it coming though if you thinking of anything else!

Oh have one more question, did you weigh and take measurements of yourself and pictures....or how are you all documenting progress..........?
  • emilyc85
    emilyc85 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I am glad that things worked out for you! My first day in the free was intimidating for sure :p

I took initial measurements and before photos, and then after I am done with stage 1 I will do updated measurements and photos :)

Good luck to you!
  • xoxoalys
    Options
    I am glad that things worked out for you! My first day in the free was intimidating for sure :p

I took initial measurements and before photos, and then after I am done with stage 1 I will do updated measurements and photos :)

Good luck to you!

Thank you!
    and good luck to you as well!
  • cassy_runs
    Options
    Fantastic thread, OP! I'm starting this program soon and basically had ALL of the same questions. Props to you for jumping in and getting started!! :)