Turning 30... And...??

Options
I know why turning 30 is a big deal to me. When I was growing up I had so many expectations for my 30th birthday. I'd be married with four kids, a good job, a big house, a healthy life, etc. Not that I don't have some of these things but I certainly don't have the job I want (I'm in school) and I certainly don't have the body I want.

So I googled turning 30 :) I found this http://www.outlish.com/turning-30-whats-the-big-deal/ which I thought was kind of interesting. It's a big deal because we are real, grown adults and expected to be just that and be even more stable and productive than in our 20s - which is fair enough.

Some of us have just turned 30 and some of us are about to. But, either way, we want our 30th year to be a celebration and a success. So what are you going to do to make that happen? I know what I want to achieve this year and I know why - usually ;)

I'm interested to see if anyone would like to try and do some type of 30 day challenge. Maybe not necessarily focused SOLELY on food/fitness but whatever you think will give you more control over your life and make this the year you want it to be. For example, my first 30 day goal would be to be more organized - I think this would drastically improve my life.

If anyone is interested, just reply with any thoughts and maybe we can get something going?

Replies

• hep26000
    hep26000 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I just turned 30 (end of December) and I am so happy. I had my first daughter and got married at 19. I felt too young during parent/teacher conferences. Now that I am 30- I feel like I belong better. I am still married (going on 11 years) we bought our home 5 years ago and my career is going well. My husband will be getting out of the military soon and then we have to worry about possibly moving where it is cheaper to live. We live in So Cal ( I grew up here my whole life). I am so scared to start over in my job. I have been at my current job almost 10 years and worked my way up from stuffing applications into envelopes to being a lead and in charge of a couple other people. I really like my boss and the relationship I have with her. I don't want to start over. I have not interviewed for a job in so long and the game has changed. My husband would have to find a civilan job and he has never interviewed before since he has been in the military right after high school. He is 33 now.
    But our dream is to own a large home (maybe one we designed and built ourselves) on at least 40 acres. I want chickens, pigs and horses. My husband wants enough property to hunt on it and maybe a stream to go fishing. I want a wrap around porch and I want a secret room behind a book shelf. My husband is a builder and can make all that happen if we have the money.
    My nephew is 3 months younger than my youngest daughter and I do not want to move away from them. It makes me so sad. I am so conflicted. My sister is my best friend.
    I don't want to move my oldest when she is in high school. By then you have made a connection with friends from elementary and it is hard to be the new girl and not know anybody.

Okay- I do not know where all this came from. I have no clue what I planned on writing when I started this response.

My goal for my 30th year is to save $ as much as possible, figure out our game plan and where we might want to move to eventually and just raise my kids as happy and healthy as possible.
  • Leisalynn84
    Leisalynn84 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I love this idea! I would like to take the next 30 days and not be a procrastinator! I have a list of things I need to finish; paint my bathroom (80% done), crochet a hat for my brother (I'm 90% finished), finish and send a CHRISTMAS gift to my cousins in Colorado, I have a huge pile of stuff I've been meaning to take to the Goodwill (It's been sitting there for over 9 months). i think if I could just stop putting things off and stick to what I say I'm going to do all of my lifes problems would be solved! (well, most of them anyway). I can also include fitness into the mix as well, working out when I say I'm going to, grocery shop and plan for the week instrad of running to the store everyday, etc. I think this is a fantastic idea, I'm in!
  • SakuraRose13
    SakuraRose13 Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Well I thought by now I'd have a home be finished with college and have had a new car , and well here am coming up on my 30th birthday feb 9th and well am a sahm, have not finished college, married and have not had much job experience in fact its almost laughable not what I planned interesting how life turns out sometimes , but I'm happy being a mother of 2 daughters a 22 month old and a 3 year old even though at times i want to get away ...I love being married wouldn't change that for anything and one day I will return to college to finish a degree was pretty darn close to graduating when I stopped could have kicked myself for that , my life has slowed but am not going to let it stop , I know one day I will have that degree and that home I have always wanted , I did however get very close to the weight loss goal I set Jan 1st of last year I'm currently only 7 lbs away from it after a 34 lb loss ,so on a brighter note I just want to reach my goal by my oldest daughters 4th birthday which is Aug. 10th I can achieve this and by my birthday a mini goal to take a little time for myself I get lost in the swing of things quite often always putting everyone else first , I have to remind myself that I matter .
  • mariah_papaya
    mariah_papaya Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Personally, I think that THIRTY is a big deal for women because it's a real check-in point. In your 20's, there's no real expectations - you can travel, learn, grow, screw up, and fail spectacularly and, not only is it totally acceptable, it's very much expected. But somehow, when you hit thirty, there is this general expectation that all the travelling, learning, growing, screwing up, and spectacular failing is more or less done with. The phrase "I'm 29 and live with my parents," is somehow ten thousand times more acceptable than "I'm 30 and live with my parents." (Just to be totally clear here, I do not live with my parents.... nor have I for many years). I feel no small amount of pressure - being married, with a stable career - to have squeezed out a kid or two by now. But I'm ok with that. Aside from the ridiculous expectations of women who hit thirty, I think it is really much more important to be OK with yourself. So, keeping with the theme of "30 Days", I want to use the time leading up to my 30th birthday (less than two months now) to think about how I want this next decade to go. What things I want to leave behind in this decade, what things I want to carry over, to nurture. And what entirely new experiences and habits and achievements I want to welcome into my life. Wishing you all the absolute best and, sometimes in the next year (or the past couple weeks) HAPPY 30TH BIRTHDAY!!
  • cuinboston2014
    cuinboston2014 Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    Sometime the next couple of days I'll create some kind of challenge keeping in mind what everyone has said.

mariah_papaya - I absolutely love what you said - especially about leaving things behind and deciding what to carry on.

@SakuraRose - I finished my BA in marketing as a single mom and have nothing to show for it...except student loans. I'm now back in school for Dietetics. If you aren't using a degree right now you aren't missing out :) When you decide that you want to rejoin the workforce, plan your education to go right before you join. Your skills will be fresh and you'll still get that accomplishment. BTW I'd do anything to be a SAHM - at least I say that but who knows, my daughter could end up driving me nuts lol.
  • darina24gordonfan24
    Options
    i love this and think it's an amazing idea! I spent my 20's working for a major computer corp and a year ago they decided to ship our jobs to Panama.. (major bummer, or so i thought at first). With the news of my awesome paying job leaving me, my husband and I decided to move with his job so that he could be promoted quickly. (BEST DECISION EVER). We are away from our families, but still close enough that we get to see them every month or two. The best part is I am able to stay home with my children. I never thought i'd be the one to stay home, not because I didn't want to, but because i loved the job I had so much. I love being home with them.. but sometimes i forget how lucky I am to have two little boys that love me so much. I hope to one day return to the job market, but for the time being am content staying home and enjoying them. At this point, I feel like I spent the last 10 years (for the most part) over weight and unhappy with the reflection in the mirror. I was pretty thin in high school and gained weight like crazy once i graduated. I am working my butt off trying to start my 30's healthy and at my goal weight.. but I am going to do it the right way this time. no diet pills, no crazy diets that are not long term realistic. I am excited to see what challenge everybody comes up.. and to get things going :)

Please fill free to friend me, I enjoy having friends that understand what I am going through.. and can help keep me motivated :).
  • cuinboston2014
    cuinboston2014 Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    OK - not sure if anyone is still interested but I would still like to do some kind of challenge. I know I said I was going to try to get something underway a while ago but I had some health issues that took precedence in my life.

I'm not getting back into the full swing and back to real life.

Would those of you who posted still be interested? I'll start a challenge thread!
  • MrsMck22
    MrsMck22 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Hey!

Yes lets do a challenge! :) I've got just under 3 months until my 30th. A challenge is a good way to see it in. What have you come up with??

Belinda