Anyone with hypothyroidism?

Options
Hi! Newbie here.

I created a post on the main weighloss board little while ago talking about my weight gain instead of loss despite being on a low calorie diet and doing cardio 5-6 times a week. Several people told me that I probably eat too much but weren't being honest with myself and several people said that I probably was eating too little. Talk about confusion on my part! Anyway, I saw a EM2WL picture in one of the commenters' ticker, did a google search and found this board. Since my first post on the main boards, I stopped counting calories since I was really frustrated with the weight gain but guestimated my daily intake and increased it a bit. And several people on another forum (thyroid related board) suggested that I go gluten free due to having Hashimoto's. I'm not sure if it's the gluten free diet or increased calories or something entirely different but I lost several pounds since. Sorry for the novel. I got sidetracked. I was gonna ask if there are any hypo people on this board who can give me some support. I bought the ebook on the website and read it while waiting for my doctor. I'm willing to try this method. I'm not sure how hard it'll be to fulfill the caloric intake since I'm gluten and dairy free, but we'll see. I don't go back to eating gluten or dairy for at least a few months since so far this new diet solved my joint pain problem almost entirely. I was in agony. I want to see if it's gonna help with my swollen hands and feet in the morning.

Anyway. Hi! Sorry about the typos. Trying to type single handed with a kiddo trying to nurse and the other hanging on my leg.

Replies

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Congrats on discovering a major body stressor, that will help immensely.

May not get over difficulty finding your number though, nor the fact that is still a stress on your body too.

Just take it slow and easy.

And I'd suggest with an estimated TDEE that could be very different than real TDEE, you do need to weigh weekly on valid days, because there's no need increasing weight so bad that you finally make an inflated TDEE reality.
    Take it slow and steady.
    Thyroid may just enjoy getting more food anyway to deal with and work with you rather than against you.
  • Nadoriel
    Nadoriel Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    ohh hiya ^^ I have hypothyroidism. Which is funny, until now I thought I couldn't loose weight because of it. I'd eat next to nothing and not loose anything at all and that after gaining 10 to 15kg after I got hypothyroidism. Apparently I was wrong, and I've been loosing it steadily now for some months.

Anyway.. I have a pretty much normal diet. I'm even making an experiment since my cholesterol increased with hypothyroidism, I'm back to eating eggs and all that and see if my levels will lower down with just exercising regularly. One more tablet less a day would definitely make me happier.

I definitely feel my body is less tired as before. Or at least.. it's a different kind of tired. I still sleep loads, but I sleep very well and I have a normal day without napping. I can go through 1 day or 2 sleeping less hours and still manage okay. Before I'd sleep at night... wake up, do my life, have a nap during afternoon, etc. Eating TDEE-15% is good because it's still a good amount of food. I don't do as much cardio which also contributes for me feeling less tired. And that's it for me. Lifting is making me feel good and strong instead of tired and sleepy all the time. Plus my metabolism isn't as slow as I thought.

I definitely never heard about gluten free diet for hypothyroidism O.o
  • spintronicus
    spintronicus Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Google gluten and hashimoto's. There are several very good articles that pop higher in the list. If you don't have autoimmune hypothyroidism, gluten may not be an issue for you but for people with hashimoto's, gluten increases the antibody count which then inflates body's immune response to thyroid. My levels are seemingly in the range but someone told me that my free T3s are very close to the lower end so I'll ask my endo for T3supplement too. I don't feel any decrease in my energy levels and with two very young kids, I don't sleep much but I'm in pain. I'm trying to figure out if going gluten free and having T3meds will help.
  • Nadoriel
    Options
    Nah.. to be honest my doctor didn't tell me which type but Hashimoto's most likely the case. My mum was diagnosed at her 30's and me when I was 18, so definitely not congenital, I'm pretty sure I always ate enough eggs not to have an iodine deficiency (and fish) and my pituitary gland is just fine. Hashimoto's just the most common and that's all.

It stroke me pretty bad when it came. I wasn't living, I was sleeping through it. Even after being medicated I still sleep loads. Tried asking doctors to increase my meds, but they don't want to since my levels are within the range. Which doesn't mean much cause the range is huge. Sometimes I still feel dizzy, and I'm definitely more sensitive to the cold.

I seriously thought I was being under medicated and that that affected my weight loss. But I was just doing it the wrong way. I still believe I'm being under medicated, but doesn't affect my weight loss at all xD I'm still loosing weight and size (which is the better part) pretty regularly. I'm almost as I was before hypothyroidism, even though I weight more due to the lean mass gain. I don't feel as tired because I don't try to overdue cardio and I eat only TDEE-15% (which is still loads), and I feel stronger and in control of myself.

I quickly searched about the coeliac disease. Only found out one study mentioning that, most of them seem to prove that CD increases the chances for hypothyroidism, but not the opposite. That one actually showed that the prevalence of CD non-diagnosed before was about 1:30 in people with hypothyroidism when for general people is 1:300. Might be a good idea to ask the doctor to do some extra tests, specially because CD on those people didn't have any symptoms at all. Funny thing. Just one article though. Either way, it shouldn't affect your weight loss if you are being medicated and are doing it right to loose weight :) under eating shouldn't be an option!
  • spintronicus
    Options
    Nadoriel, check this one out http://chriskresser.com/the-gluten-thyroid-connection It talks about why gluten free diet might be a good choice for people with AITDs. And it link several articles. The problem isn't a true allergy like celiac disease but the fact that the protein part of gluten closesly resembles thyroid and when you have a AITD, your body attacks it thinking it's your thyroid, hence increasing the antibody counf. I've always been in the optimal range with thyroid medication but my antibodies fluctuated to high 600 and low 20s. It, in theory might affect weight loss because when the antibody count is high, it's like your body is in a war (with itself ironically), trying to save the resources as much as it can. Although, I'm not in it for the weightloss. My quality of life was greatly reduced with joint pain and morning swelling. I've seen a rheumatologist and she wants to medicate me for RA even though my RA antibody test came back negative. Apparently, It happens in some cases. I'm just 30 and not ady to accept that I might have RA. So far, pain is somewhat under control with quitting gluten but I've yet to find a solution for my huge hands and feet in the morning. Fingers crossed ;)
  • Nadoriel
    Options
    Well.. to be honest that site doesn't really tell me anything. There are too many sites out there that say things like that. Go vegan to avoid this this and that. Paleo diet for this and that and that. If I was to go for each of them I wouldn't eat at all! And while I wouldn't die of cancer or whatever they say their diet prevents, I'd definitely die of hunger which wouldn't be at all better. And I did search for a good diet, not long ago, since I wanted to improve my health. I ended up staying the same. There are just too many controversial biased "scientific" blogs and websites, for me to get any truthful information at all.

The guy is right when he says there's a chance to have coeliac disease when you have Hashimoto's. The last study I found, from 2007, found an incidence of 15% of people with Hashimoto's that actually had coeliac disease as well. It's not that big of a relation to be honest. So I wouldn't change my diet until I saw some proof that I really had markers saying I had intolerance to this and that. But that's just me. I like to be able to eat everything and I don't really have symptoms of anything but hypothyroidism.

If you feel better taking out gluten though.. there must be a reason. I'd still do medical exams on that, to be sure on things ^^
  • ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Hi there,

I didn't read every word of this thread, but wanted to chime in as I too have hypothyroidism. What I have learned is that the range is wide and you must find where you feel best within that range. Having a dr willing to work with you is key as well. When I was at the mid to lower range...I slept loads, always fatigued and couldn't lose a pound. I have to be closer to the upper range. Also, I switched from synthetic replacement to Armour which gives me T3, plus calcitonin which those of us with Hypo lack.

I think I saw that you are nursing and if doing so full time you could be burning up to 500 calories more daily, so that is something else to consider. So many times we try to diet through nursing which works against because then you are at a really high deficit.
  • spintronicus
    Options
    Hi there,

I didn't read every word of this thread, but wanted to chime in as I too have hypothyroidism. What I have learned is that the range is wide and you must find where you feel best within that range. Having a dr willing to work with you is key as well. When I was at the mid to lower range...I slept loads, always fatigued and couldn't lose a pound. I have to be closer to the upper range. Also, I switched from synthetic replacement to Armour which gives me T3, plus calcitonin which those of us with Hypo lack.

I think I saw that you are nursing and if doing so full time you could be burning up to 500 calories more daily, so that is something else to consider. So many times we try to diet through nursing which works against because then you are at a really high deficit.

I've realized it what you said about range too. I always thought, as long as you're within the range you're good to go. Apparently, that's not true for many people. I have overcome the lack of energy after starting on synthroid but never paid good attention to my free T3s and free T4s. I'm a part of an online thyroid diseases support group and several people mentioned that both my FT3s and FT4s are auite low within the range. For the past few years, I've seen several endocrinologists and rheumatologists but I was always dismissed since nobody could find a solid reason for my symptoms. I'm hoping T3 will help. Of course, if my endo prescribes it. I've just switched insurances to see my old endo since she was more open minded. Fingers crossed.

I slowly increased my daily intake to 1800 and close to 1900. Scooby's calculator gives around 1970 as my maintenance if I choose light to moderate exercise 1-3 times a week which what I'm doing right now. I'm not exercising just yet (i'll get my adrenals checked and I've been told to not exercise until then) but I'm on my feet all day long, chasing after my kids and fitbit gives about 2000cals at the end of the day. Since I'm still losing to find my true TDEE, I'll try 1900 for a week, until I see my endo.

My toddler doesn't nurse as much anymore and I probably don't burn as much as 500 due to that but if I continue losing at 1900 to maybe I can increase it a bit more too. I'm feeling a lot better eating enough to mentally sustain myself. It was easier to ignore hunger and still be physically active but I had a foggy brain. I'm glad I found out about EM2WL.
  • AprilJG79
    AprilJG79 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Yes I too have hypothyroidism, I've had it for 11-12 years now. Since that time I put on 90 lbs. I've recently lost 55 of those pounds but plateaued. That's when I found EM2WL. I was very nervous about eating my TDEE because of hypo and didn't want to gain anything back and I have been eating 2000-2400 calories a day for the past 2-3 weeks now. I have stayed within 2-3lbs of my starting weight of EM2WL. I have energy and feel great. I workout 5-6 days a week and been focusing on lifting with some cardio.

I try not to eat dairy, as I noticed if doesn't set well with me. I eat eggs daily also. Now, there are some foods that can block your meds like grapefruit and dairy. I have cut those out of my diet for the most part.

I am on levothyroxine and go in for maintenance every 6-12months. Even if you are "within normal range" you could still have the effects of hypo. When you get tested I would suggest a full thyroid panel. Lucia has a great video on hypo here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8k7-p-ErwCY

Hope this helps and feel free to add me as a friend. I know losing weight being hypo can be frustrating.
  • spintronicus
    Options
    Yes I too have hypothyroidism, I've had it for 11-12 years now. Since that time I put on 90 lbs. I've recently lost 55 of those pounds but plateaued. That's when I found EM2WL. I was very nervous about eating my TDEE because of hypo and didn't want to gain anything back and I have been eating 2000-2400 calories a day for the past 2-3 weeks now. I have stayed within 2-3lbs of my starting weight of EM2WL. I have energy and feel great. I workout 5-6 days a week and been focusing on lifting with some cardio.

I try not to eat dairy, as I noticed if doesn't set well with me. I eat eggs daily also. Now, there are some foods that can block your meds like grapefruit and dairy. I have cut those out of my diet for the most part.

I am on levothyroxine and go in for maintenance every 6-12months. Even if you are "within normal range" you could still have the effects of hypo. When you get tested I would suggest a full thyroid panel. Lucia has a great video on hypo here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8k7-p-ErwCY

Hope this helps and feel free to add me as a friend. I know losing weight being hypo can be frustrating.

I definitely have more energy. I'm cranky when I'm hungry but feeling guilty and weak when eating was even worse. My doctors always prescribed full panels except the rheumatologist but none paid attention to FT3s and FT4s since they seem to be in the range. I'll check the video hopefully at night.

I don't think dairy is the problem for me but I'm cutting it out to see if it'll help my morning swelling since it's inflammatory by nature. I don't experience any stomach issues either with dairy or gluten but gluten seems to aggravate my joint pain. I fell off the wagon here and there and the pain came back after each time. The scientist in me wonders if it's just psychological but maybe it's the food lover in me. LOL. I didn't expect the pain to return in any of those cases but idk, the subconscious is a weird place. :D I'll be tested for dairy and gluten sensitivity but these two, especially gluten sensitivity is very hard to diagnose. My doctor told me that the average time for a person with celiac disease to get diagnosed is 15 years! Allergy testing isn't always reliable and that's why they always recommend an elimination diet first.

I eat eggs daily too. I'm not sure if I can ever get bored of eggs. LOL. I'll add you. Thanks!
  • AprilJG79
    AprilJG79 Posts: 56 Member
    Options

I definitely have more energy. I'm cranky when I'm hungry but feeling guilty and weak when eating was even worse. My doctors always prescribed full panels except the rheumatologist but none paid attention to FT3s and FT4s since they seem to be in the range. I'll check the video hopefully at night.

I don't think dairy is the problem for me but I'm cutting it out to see if it'll help my morning swelling since it's inflammatory by nature. I don't experience any stomach issues either with dairy or gluten but gluten seems to aggravate my joint pain. I fell off the wagon here and there and the pain came back after each time. The scientist in me wonders if it's just psychological but maybe it's the food lover in me. LOL. I didn't expect the pain to return in any of those cases but idk, the subconscious is a weird place. :D I'll be tested for dairy and gluten sensitivity but these two, especially gluten sensitivity is very hard to diagnose. My doctor told me that the average time for a person with celiac disease to get diagnosed is 15 years! Allergy testing isn't always reliable and that's why they always recommend an elimination diet first.

I eat eggs daily too. I'm not sure if I can ever get bored of eggs. LOL. I'll add you. Thanks!
    I hope everything goes well and you get answers. I agree, about the eggs. So many things to do with them.