Carb backloading

Options
cinico
cinico Posts: 294 Member
Hi I recently heard a podcast from the fatburningman he was speaking to Kiefer about carb backloading! Does anyone here carb backload?

I have been following a very low carb (keto) approach since thanksgiving and was thinking some carb backloading may help with fat burning!

Your thought?

Replies

• fruttibiscotti
    fruttibiscotti Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    I'm intrigued by the idea and in fact took a library book out today to read up on it. Would love to hear others experiences on it. I don't want to try it until I understand the science behind it (same thing I did with LCHF and keto).
  • camtosh
    camtosh Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    Hi -- I heard that podcast too, and was intrigued. If you click Search above and type in "carb backloading" you will find a lot of posts here on the subject.
  • epcooper
    epcooper Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    My first introduction to keto was through Kiefer's CarbNite Solution (which is keto + 1 high-carb night per week). It was relatively effective, but eating all those carbs left me bloated and craving more, so I eventually transitioned to regular keto. I've never had that much weight to lose....maybe 20lbs total. I lost 5 eating Paleo, then another 10 through CNS, but it was difficult for me. I would lose 1-2 lbs keeping carbs super low throughout the week, then re-gain almost all of it after one night of what felt like carb-binging. And I'd obviously be kicked out of ketosis and spend 2-3 days getting back in, just to be kicked out again 3 days later. For me, it set me up for some bad habits. Eventually I was fat-fasting to get back into ketosis and not eating enough calories, which left me feeling like crap.

For me, my activity level didn't necessitate carb loading. But for someone who lifts heavy and doesn't obsess over the scale, I think carb loading definitely has some benefits, especially involving leptin.
  • 82jeh
    82jeh Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    My first introduction to keto was through Kiefer's CarbNite Solution (which is keto + 1 high-carb night per week). It was relatively effective, but eating all those carbs left me bloated and craving more, so I eventually transitioned to regular keto. I've never had that much weight to lose....maybe 20lbs total. I lost 5 eating Paleo, then another 10 through CNS, but it was difficult for me. I would lose 1-2 lbs keeping carbs super low throughout the week, then re-gain almost all of it after one night of what felt like carb-binging. And I'd obviously be kicked out of ketosis and spend 2-3 days getting back in, just to be kicked out again 3 days later. For me, it set me up for some bad habits. Eventually I was fat-fasting to get back into ketosis and not eating enough calories, which left me feeling like crap.

For me, my activity level didn't necessitate carb loading. But for someone who lifts heavy and doesn't obsess over the scale, I think carb loading definitely has some benefits, especially involving leptin.

this.
    I carbed up yesterday and couldn't stop eating carbs!! I don't think carb loading is for me. plus, I feel fine eating less than 20 grams per day, so I may as well just continue eating this way with out carbing up once a week.
  • tanigrrrrr
    tanigrrrrr Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Ive been stalled for the past 2 - 3 weeks. I have decided to do a small carb load and kick myself out of keto to try and kick start my losses again.
    Ive been in keto consistently for the past two months so hopefully this helps
    AIll let you know how it turns out
  • soxanderous
    soxanderous Posts: 9 Member
    Options

I second this. Once I start with the carbs it takes awhile to snap out of it. Usually I need to fat fast to get back to keto as well.
  • cinico
    cinico Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I did up my carbs last night but didn't get over 100 carbs so I don't know if I did much damage. I was also afraid of once I started I wouldn't be able to stop but today it was okay!! I don't think the higher carb helped much with my workout today though! :-/ anyhow I will be looking forward to see how anyone giving it a go is doing!!
  • TheRealMarsupial12
    Options
    When I carb up, I feel awful, and it hinders my progress. After my birthday (tomorrow), I am going to do just straight keto to see if it works better for me.
  • bacitracin
    bacitracin Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    WTF is "backloading"?

I generally only feel the need for a "cheat day" which is when I load up on junk food, when I'm in a plateau. It signals my body to say "hey guys, we're not in a scarcity situation, feel free to be less efficient with your resources!"

*edit* but yeah, carby foods make me bloated and heavy, give me acne, give me loud smelly farts, joint inflammation... yuck!
  • BigBadBoogie
    Options
    Carb backloading is not really intended for the fat burning part but for the muscle building (or keeping) part which of course will translate into burning more energy as muscle volume increase.

I went 10 days strict for ketosis (2-3%weight of carbs a day, about 10-15g) which was a "hell period" with dizzinines and gut feeling crap from all the fat, but on day 9 it felt better and on day 10 I hit my first heavy round at the gym feeling very surprised by the amount of energy withhout carbs. Had the PWO with protein stack,caffeine and 30g malto and that was it for day 10.

Day after went to the gym this time i felt low after about 40 minutes and stopped, dont want to start burning the wrong tissue ;-)
    Went home had the ordinarey PWO w 30g and waited 30minutes and then binged down about 150g high GI stuff (glucose syrup rich candy and some egg-sugar-foam cakes with minimal fat, dont know the english name for them). The sugary stuff tasted awful due to the extreme sweetness (I loved candy like crazy just 10 days before so that was a strange feeling) so I struggled with getting it down, will maybe go for pure malto next time.

After 5-10 minutes the insulin had kicked in big time and I allmost fell asleep by just standing up. Had a power nap of 15-20 minutes to allow blood levels to even out and then tried to push down some additinal "crap" this time together with proteins to sustain the nights fast. This time I did not get as tired but then I did not have more than maybe 50g of high GI stuff so went to bed and fell asleep about 1-2 hours later.

Normally such a spike of insulin + fat would mean "store fat" but not in the window after working out. Though the muscle tissue will absorb the glycogen as a spunge.
    At the same time the spike in insulin quickly gets your blood levels down and for the GH this is a must to start secretion (about two hours after blood glycogene levels are down the growth hormone will kick in during sleep) which is why You dont want the low GI slow absorbing and/or fiber stuff. Thus You will go to sleep loaded for building with GH spruting out during the night (depending on when You fall asleep of course) but still waking up ready to burn of the fat in the morning.

At least that is the theory behind carb backload from MY understanding but Ive only just begun so I will have to wait and see how effective it is. The 10 day "go-to-keto" period was extremely effective at least but I should probably have had the 30g high GI PWO (it does not say in the book if I should or not) to sustain growth better. Though just during that period about 1Kg of fat was cut (according to Omron Carada body measure scale) while maintaining muslce which means i am still at 20% fat but 5Kgs lighter (=4l of retended water was cut on top) and that part was very easy to spot :-D

Right now I am trying to find a good level of high GI carbs to sustain the day after work out withour excesive binging (still dont want to go too high in calories) and that will probably take a while to fine tune.
  • Leonidas_meets_Spartacus
    Leonidas_meets_Spartacus Posts: 6,198 Member
    Options
    Carbs don't have anything to do with muscle building or increasing muscle mass. They give you energy.