Metaformin

Options
Just out of curiosity, what causes your Dr. to increase the dosage? I started on Metaformin ER on January 1st. 500mg Metaformin ER. Just curious.

Replies

• retiree2006
    retiree2006 Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    For me it was because my BG numbers were still too high with 500 mg. But since losing weight plus additional exercise, he's decreased it again.
  • cathylopez1975
    cathylopez1975 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    For me it was totally about my fasting blood glucose numbers. Also the timing of the dose when taking the extended release was moved around. I was on 1000 mg morning and evening. As my fasting BG went lower, I was able to cut back evening dose some, and then some more. With weight loss, healthy eating and exercise, I am down to 500 mg. ER in the morning.
  • GlucernaBrand
    Options
    Doctors typically start people on the lowest dosage of metformin, and then titrate it up if necessary based on blood sugar levels. This gives your body the opportunity to get used to the medication and also for the doctor to see how it's working for you. It's always good to talk with your doctor about his plan, and where he wants you to be with blood sugar numbers and A1c. It's great to hear about people able to lower their medication with changes in eating habits and exercise. ~Lynn /Glucerna
  • Luizam25
    Luizam25 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I have had the dosage changed many times since diagnosed in 2010. My fasting glucose it is usually high for me I am on 1500 now but have used both 2000 and 1000 in the past.
  • ptronis
    Options
    I have been doing great with my lifestyle change since my diagnosis. I was wondering if a higher dose of the metaformin has anything to do with the weight loss?
  • Cheska47
    Options
    Currently I am on 2500 mg a day, I have the higher dose because my A1C was quite high - over 12. I've been having some difficulties with the side effects at this dose, but have managed to bring it down to around 8.2. Now my doctor has prescribed other meds to go along with this. I have never found that I have lost weight with metformin but have recently found out that I am hypothyroid as well, so could be a reason why.
  • SharonNehring
    SharonNehring Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    I've found that being on metformin has really reduced my appetite and I get full much quicker. I'm certain it is helping me stay on track easier. I've had PCOS for 25 yrs and wish the doctors would have put me on meds much sooner. I may have been able to avoid T2 all together.