Biggest Challenges

Options
kinzieplatt
kinzieplatt Posts: 81 Member
What are some of your biggest challenges with weightloss being married to someone in the military?

Mine would have to be eating because I get bored when I'm home alone. I try to keep myself busy with working out though.

Replies

• kelseyjsnyder
    kelseyjsnyder Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Luckily my hubby is National Guard and we haven't had to deal with deployment yet. However we both work in Prisons as corrections Officers. I work 5am to 1 pm and he works 3pm-11pm. We have a 4 year old daughter. My prison has an employee gym but I just cant wake up at 2am to go workout before work and after work I have to hurry home so he can get to work. And we dont have anyone near by (within 100 miles) to babysit. So it makes working out dang near impossible. Well till like 4 days ago when we bought a stationary bike :)
  • kinzieplatt
    Options
    Luckily my hubby is National Guard and we haven't had to deal with deployment yet. However we both work in Prisons as corrections Officers. I work 5am to 1 pm and he works 3pm-11pm. We have a 4 year old daughter. My prison has an employee gym but I just cant wake up at 2am to go workout before work and after work I have to hurry home so he can get to work. And we dont have anyone near by (within 100 miles) to babysit. So it makes working out dang near impossible. Well till like 4 days ago when we bought a stationary bike :)

gahh kelsey that sounds like a rough schedule. I can see how it can be a challenge!
  • kelseyjsnyder
    Options
    Yeah I have thought about trying to get a different shift but I freaking love my position now and I still have like ALL day left when I get off work!!! We are going to buy a house this year so I will switch to the 730-330 shift and force him to ho to the 7-3 shift so we can ride together again. I mean I want more time with my hubby!!!!
  • kinzieplatt
    Options
    Yeah I have thought about trying to get a different shift but I freaking love my position now and I still have like ALL day left when I get off work!!! We are going to buy a house this year so I will switch to the 730-330 shift and force him to ho to the 7-3 shift so we can ride together again. I mean I want more time with my hubby!!!!

awe i know what you mean, thats cool that you're able to work with your husband. I worked with mine for a while before he joined the army, at a hospital, and i HATED working with him. He was "that jerk". haha
  • Jenene88
    Jenene88 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    My biggest problem is having my husband always have cravings for bad food or wanting something cuz he could be gone for a week or more doing training. Usually when he is gone I can stick to my diet easily but when he is home is when I have trouble cuz he brings in all the bad food into the house
  • Amy_Andrews
    Options
    My biggest challenge is that since they are so active at work and REQUIRED to stay fit, my husband can eat pretty much whatever he wants. Jealous! It's hard to be good when he's sitting next to me chowing down an entire tray full of wings and beer!
  • kinzieplatt
    Options
    My biggest challenge is that since they are so active at work and REQUIRED to stay fit, my husband can eat pretty much whatever he wants. Jealous! It's hard to be good when he's sitting next to me chowing down an entire tray full of wings and beer!
    My biggest problem is having my husband always have cravings for bad food or wanting something cuz he could be gone for a week or more doing training. Usually when he is gone I can stick to my diet easily but when he is home is when I have trouble cuz he brings in all the bad food into the house

Same here guys! I've watched my husband eat pies by the whole and still lose 5 lbs.
  • kelseyjsnyder
    Options

awe i know what you mean, thats cool that you're able to work with your husband. I worked with mine for a while before he joined the army, at a hospital, and i HATED working with him. He was "that jerk". haha

we actually dont work together. There is 2 prisons right next to each other :) his is minimum security and mine is maximum security prison. I wouldnt want him working at mine. The women (C.O.'S) at my institution are very scandlous and would be making up stories left and right trying to get between us. ive seen them do it before. Im just find being in seperate prisons!
  • Jenene88
    Jenene88 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Haha, my husband is the same way. He eats a whole box of cheese it's and will lose 6lbs a week where I follow the diet and workout and only lose maybe 2lbs a week. It's annoying
  • coburngirl2
    coburngirl2 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I lost 20 lbs on deployment and found 25 when he got home. Him and and his damn ice cream in bed. He ALWAYS WANTS SNACKS but won't eat them alone. I have learned to actually measure out the 1/2 cup serving and just stick with that. My weight has "maintained" at a wonderful 247 since I made the changes and I stopped gaining, but I was also diagnosed with thyroid cancer last year and had my thyroid removed...talk about a weight loss nightmare! lol. Also, if anyone gets the chance, utilize the Army Wellness Center at your post. I had the metabolic test done and it put me at just under 2100 calories a day. For years I have stuck to a 1200-1400 and feel so much better, not gaining, and had started to lost 10 lbs last May. I went back to my low cal eating and gained it all back
  • kinzieplatt
    Options
    I lost 20 lbs on deployment and found 25 when he got home. Him and and his damn ice cream in bed. He ALWAYS WANTS SNACKS but won't eat them alone. I have learned to actually measure out the 1/2 cup serving and just stick with that. My weight has "maintained" at a wonderful 247 since I made the changes and I stopped gaining, but I was also diagnosed with thyroid cancer last year and had my thyroid removed...talk about a weight loss nightmare! lol. Also, if anyone gets the chance, utilize the Army Wellness Center at your post. I had the metabolic test done and it put me at just under 2100 calories a day. For years I have stuck to a 1200-1400 and feel so much better, not gaining, and had started to lost 10 lbs last May. I went back to my low cal eating and gained it all back

I had the metabolic testing done too! I was so happy it helped!
  • emegburg
    emegburg Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    My biggest challenge is being able to workout. With my husband gone, there's no one to watch our son, and I can't afford the gyms that have childcare. I do home workouts as much as I can, but I really struggle to be motivated to do them! And if my son is awake, well...he's climbing all over me while I'm exercising, obviously. I have a decent jogging stroller, so I run a lot. If it's cold, I bundle him up in a snowsuit. That seems to be the best solution at this point, but I wish I could be child-free for some of my workouts.
  • SexY_ret1REE57
    SexY_ret1REE57 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    My biggest challenge is to keep losing. I have been running on my treadmill since October 2013 and initially lost 24 pounds which put me at 172 lbs. Now I cannot seem to lose any more. I gained back up to 176 lbs and cannot seem to lose any more. I even watch and log my low calories and added yoga, aqua aerobics once a week, and working out on the wii to no change. I am trying to remain positive and my husband is very supportive and encouraging. Does anyone have any ideas, I really don't want to have exercise consume all of my non-working hours. Thank you all.
  • dawlschic007
    dawlschic007 Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    How many calories are you eating? It could be that your are not eating enough calories for your workouts, which is causing your weight loss to stall. That's what happened to me after a few months and I had to slowly up mine. The closer you get to goal, the slower the weight loss should be. So if you start out losing 2 pounds per week, you may need to adjust it to 1 pound per week, or 1/2 pound per week, depending on how close you are to your goal weight. For me, I'm at 0.5 lb loss per week since I only have about 10 more pounds to lose. It takes a bit longer, but it it's easier to transition to maintenance since you are already eating close to your maintenance calories by the time you finish.

I found this calorie calculator to be pretty helpful in determining how many calories to eat. http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/
  • SexY_ret1REE57
    Options
    Thank you dawlschic007. I use iFit and log my execise and food on both iFit and myfitnesspal, so I am eating enough to support my workout calories otherwise this smart alec program warns me to eat enough...ha ha. I'm trying to stay positive and patient. I just want to lose 20 pounds by my 53rd birthday (March1).
  • SexY_ret1REE57
    Options
    Good news all. I have crossed over into my next birthday (I am now 53 years young) AND I have lost 6 more pounds. I am at 170 lbs and have 10 more to lose. Thank you for your support and encouragement. Keep going and cross that plateau, but also maintain the good habits. :smile: