Acidosis

Options
jennibear22
jennibear22 Posts: 95 Member
I had never heard of this until someone asked me if I was aware of it and the effects earlier when mentioning I was doing very low carb. After doing some research on it.. I have to say I am a little freaked out and feeling very worried. I definitely have all the symptoms of it.. which are same as going into keto.. so I presumed all good and healthy. Had no idea it could also lead to this illness.

Has anyone else heard of it?
Worried about developing it?

I think I am going to take myself out of the induction phase and start adding lots of good, healthy carbs back into my diet.

Replies

• Pennben
    Pennben Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I hadn't heard of the issue and did a quick google search to see what acidosis was. I don't have any symptoms of such so I'm not worried personally. I note that many of the google results I found "linking" Atkins and acidosis together were from 2006 or older.

That said, however, if you are concerned or feel that you have symptoms, you should certainly consult with your doctor and alter your diet as you think will best help your situation.

I've only been doing this for two months, but my research prior to starting left me comfortable to give this a try, and it is working very well for me at this point. I've got a checkup with my doctor in a couple of months so will be able to assess whether there are any issues. And I certainly wouldn't hesitate to talk to her before then if I had anything that concerned me about the diet.

ETA: For reference, I'm still basically doing induction and have only added back almonds at this point.
  • fruttibiscotti
    fruttibiscotti Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    Golightly is correct, there is confusion here between a diabetes problem (ketoacidosis or acidosis) and ketosis (fat burning metabolism).

The Atkins diet does not induce ketoacidosis, in fact one may argue that Atkins helps to prevent or reverse diabetes, which then leads to reduced potential for acidosis.
  • Pennben
    Pennben Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    To the OP: Because of the way this question was asked, I learned more about acidosis, and that there are several types of acidosis, not just keto acidosis.

As relatively new to this approach of eating, I have spent many hours reading before I started and then googling and running down answers to questions about what I'm feeling in this last month or so and concerns about what I read from time to time.

I feel like I'm in a process of fixing myself and learning about what I'm doing while I'm doing it. It is a lot to absorb, especially when I, like you , have experienced someone telling me what I'm doing is wrong.

Take your time, read what you need, and most importantly consult your doctor if you have concerns.

I've found a great start on this plan, others have fantastic long term success--that's what I'm shooting for. You need to do what you need to do. And don't be afraid to ask "ignorant" questions, I still have a ton of those.
  • fruttibiscotti
    Options
    Well said, Penn! We are all on the path of learning. We all have various levels of understanding in different topics. The more people that ask questions, the better it is for all of us, as we get to share knowledge and shine a spotlight on a topic that some may not have encountered before.
  • Golightly17
    Golightly17 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    ^ I agree, which is why I think it is important to dispel myths.
  • jennibear22
    Options

Yes, you do sound incredibly rude.

As someone very new to Atkins and having never heard of Aticosis before, I came to this "support group" to get some adive, information and perspective.

There are several types of Acidosis as has been pointed out. They are NOT just caused by dibetes. They are often found with people suffering kidney problems, cancers or those eating a high protein/high fat diet.

Perhaps do your own research before lamblasting someone who was simply coming to the forum and seeking advice and guidance.
  • jennibear22
    Options
    To the OP: Because of the way this question was asked, I learned more about acidosis, and that there are several types of acidosis, not just keto acidosis.

As relatively new to this approach of eating, I have spent many hours reading before I started and then googling and running down answers to questions about what I'm feeling in this last month or so and concerns about what I read from time to time.

I feel like I'm in a process of fixing myself and learning about what I'm doing while I'm doing it. It is a lot to absorb, especially when I, like you , have experienced someone telling me what I'm doing is wrong.

Take your time, read what you need, and most importantly consult your doctor if you have concerns.

I've found a great start on this plan, others have fantastic long term success--that's what I'm shooting for. You need to do what you need to do. And don't be afraid to ask "ignorant" questions, I still have a ton of those.

Thank you for the response. I too am trying to find out everything I can and have decided to go for a check up with my GP just to make sure everything is fine and get her input. Until then will increase my carbs a little just to out my mind at rest, but still trying to follower lower carb as I do think it generally is something healthy and suits my body.
  • timwhoa
    timwhoa Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    this topic pops up from time to time, I am type 2 diabetic myself, being such I was taught what acidosis is during my early classes on diabeties, ketosis and keto acidosis are 2 seperate syndroms, acidosis is a symptom of extermeemly HIGH blood sugar and the person spills ketones into thier urine an it can be measured with keto strips, in atkins or keto diets, fat is converted into fuel by the body to be used in the absence of carbs this fuel is ketones which the body is able to use very effectivly just like as if a person is fasting or using body fat for fuel, these ketones can be measured with keto strips also, ketones are ketones either way, but the major differance is the person in acidosis is very sick, extremely high blood sugar of over 400-600 or more ,, if this helps i am happy , if you have more questions i can help, i am posting often in the atkins keto low carb groups, low carb and atkins has really cured me of my diabeties ( in a way, i dont have to take medicine for it),
    thanks
  • timwhoa
    timwhoa Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    having watched my own children do low carb (they are teenagers) its amazing how fast you can lose wieght when you have a well working system, there reaching a point where you can really feel lethargic, and taking a couple of days off and eathing carbs can restore a good feeling about yourself, then going back on the low carb diet will continue the wieght loss and have you feeling "well again",, people who fast for long periods weill explain the same symptoms or feelings, atkins himself in ihis old books likened low carb diets or induction ( under 20 grams per day) as being just the same as fasting as far as the body is concerned because you are using ketones for fuel, sadly most doctors and dieaticians are going to tell you atkins is not safe, they are trained by the schools and come out with the same diet education that most believe in that such means of eating are not safe, there was a trend about 10 years ago where low carb diets got really great medical results and many low carb foods were being sold in stores, and many resarch papers where giving them great credit , but like most things it passed, and they typical way of entrenched eating settled back into place,,
  • Golightly17
    Options
    I'm so sorry that I assumed that you were referring to low carb keto acidosis in a low carb carb forum, hah!
  • SwedishMel
    SwedishMel Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry that I assumed that you were referring to low carb keto acidosis in a low carb carb forum, hah!

:)
  • GiGiBeans
    GiGiBeans Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options

Never anger an Atkins induction dieter. Throw some pork rinds and run! ;-)
  • Golightly17
    Options

Never anger an Atkins induction dieter. Throw some pork rinds and run! ;-)

Hahaha! :D
  • cdgirl
    cdgirl Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I've been doing Atkins for awhile and I didn't know anything about this topic either.I am grateful to those who are willing to share their knowledge w/the rest of us.I think we should share what we know w/patience and compassion for one another.After all we are all heading toward the same basic goals.I hope I can find answers as questions arise for me in the future.
  • jennibear22
    Options
    Yes , well that is the problem with people who make assumptions.. they usually end up appearing ignorant.
  • GiGiBeans
    GiGiBeans Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    NVM
  • Golightly17
    Options
    Holy ****! You're not at the Dr's yet with this bout of low carb acidosis?!?!??
  • fruttibiscotti
    Options
    So, I've not been on the normal forums lately because of the pretty nasty and brutal back and forth exchanges. While I can certainly realize that this thread got off to a wrong start, I think we can all agree that no one here wants to start or continue an angry verbal exchange. Let's leave the high school rants on the main forum threads, and keep this Atkins one free of hard feelings? After all, we are all after the same or similar goal with low carb or keto or etc. We all do want each other to succeed, no? And, we all need a little help from our friends along this journey. Let's be open to receive critique that will help us grow. And let's all learn how to deliver critique in a fashion that doesn't offend. Let's find the middle ground when we don't agree, cause there's no sense in harming or one-upping a fellow Atkins dieter.

Peace?