So the trainer at gym says that ill gain muscle

Options
I dont take classes from her, I just go to gym and do what the book says. M at stage 1 week 2. Ive set my macros to 40/30/30. She asked me what I ate.. so i told her veggies, grains and chicken. And she was like you are gonna get muscles like wrestlers do, and you will be huge. and you will look manly. I certainly dont want that. I dunno if I am stupid or she is :? please shed some light, what does chicken has to do with it. Pulses have proteins too :[

Replies

• sleepyjen
    sleepyjen Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    I suspect you'd have to be lifting for hours to end up like that. Yes , you'll build muscle, but at least for me, that's what I'm lifting for! I'm starting to see a bit of definition and I'm so excited about it. There are a bunch of threads on these forums that dispel the "women will get bulky" rhetoric. Chicken, btw, is protein, and protein builds muscle mass. I wouldn't sweat it too much.

Read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/977538-halp-heavy-lifting-made-me-supah-bulky
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Yeah...that is probably one of those trainers who have been fuelled by the myths of lifting and then got her PT from a Cracker Jack box. Yes...you will gain muscle and strength. But we lack one thing that males do which allows them to gain muscles the way they do, testicles. Well...more specific, testosterone. In order to get as "bulky" as the women she is referring to, you have to A.) cut and bulk for years and years, B.) take steroids.
  • jamifishie
    jamifishie Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    "Oops, I picked up some weights and now I accidentally look like Arnold."

"Oops, I took a college course and accidentally got a PhD."

It takes an extraordinary amount of effort to get a PhD. It also takes an extraordinary amount of effort to gain a bunch of muscle and bulk up -- that's even more true for women.

The trainer is an idiot. Pick up more heavy things.
  • sleepyjen
    sleepyjen Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    I have a PhD and can testify ;) agree, pick up heavy things!
  • night_watcher
    night_watcher Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    Thanks alot guys :) Im glad i asked around before quittin on it. Thank you so much
  • BarbellCowgirl
    BarbellCowgirl Posts: 1,271 Member
    Options
    The women body builders would whole heartedly disagree with the trainer! They bulk (eat more calories than they burn) to gain muscle and even they have a hard time getting bulky. If you're new to lifting, you may experience some muscle gain, but it will really be negligible and you will NOT look like a man. Also, many confuse definition and muscle gain. As you lose body fat, your muscles that you've worked hard to maintain through lifting will begin to show. This doesn't mean you've gained any muscle- you've simply shed the fat to reveal them. If you're looking to maintain your weight and gain muscle and lose fat, the process will be even slower. If at any point you feel youre looking too "bulky", back off on the weights. No woman has ever lifted for 6 months and accidently ended up a she-hulk.
    I could go on and on, but you get the point- don't listen to the trainer.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    I have actually seen only one woman who got very bulky from weight lifting, but she was also a professional body builder and had been building for years.

The trainer gave you misinformation.
  • Mouse_Potato
    Mouse_Potato Posts: 1,497 Member
    Options
    I just completed this program about three weeks ago. As you can see in my profile picture, I got plenty strong, but not very big. :smile:
  • WannabeStressFree
    WannabeStressFree Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    That trainer knows nothing! If you read the entire book, Lou explains how hard and almost impossible it is for women to get bulky, you'd need supplements, and lift big time to end up big. We lack the testosterone that men have, seriously, don't stop lifting!
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    I dont take classes from her, I just go to gym and do what the book says. M at stage 1 week 2. Ive set my macros to 40/30/30. She asked me what I ate.. so i told her veggies, grains and chicken. And she was like you are gonna get muscles like wrestlers do, and you will be huge. and you will look manly. I certainly dont want that. I dunno if I am stupid or she is :? please shed some light, what does chicken has to do with it. Pulses have proteins too :[
    I don't think either of you are stupid, but she is definitely misinformed.

If you are eating at a calorie deficit, you won't grow any muscle.

If you are not eating at a calorie deficit and do gain muscle, you will not be bulky.

And, besides this, how do veggies, grains, and chicken equal wrestler's muscle?

I say to ignore her.
  • lizzyliz79
    lizzyliz79 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    She doesn't know what she is talking about! Avoid her :)
    You will look HOT! Not bulky!
  • cassy_runs
    Options
    I agree, avoid that chick. Remember what you read in the beginning chapters of the book- we are females, we do not have the hormones required to build scary, bulky Arnold muscles. Remember that the amount of muscle you have now is all the muscle you're going to have- all you can change is the SIZE of those muscle fibers. And the chances of you growing your muscle fibers to a size that is larger than your liking is essentially zero. Because building muscle is such a slow process, it isn't like you're going to get to that size without noticing. ;)

You've got this! And apparently, that trainer does not. :P