Help! I don't know what I'm doing.

Options
Week 1 on Keto diet. Using ketostix to track several times a day. Usually 0 to slight trace in AM and progresses to about 40mg/dl.

First 3 days lost 3.5lbs. Gained all but 1lb back by end of the week. Had calories set at 920 based on recommended 2lb lost per week (I'd really like to see 3-5lb/wk loss).

Dropped calories to 650 for the coming week to increase weight loss. I eat pretty good. Never hungry but had a few cheats. I am not working out regularly yet as I want to get my numbers right first.

What should I be doing differently?

Replies

• iris8pie
    iris8pie Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I noticed I lose more when I up my calories a bit. I know that its counter intuitive, and Im not sure if I believe in the whole "starvation mode" thing, but maybe your cals are too low, and your body is hanging on to everything incase you dont get to eat again any time soon? Ive been eating 1500/ish a day and lost 5lbs in my first week of keto.
  • ejdp254
    ejdp254 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I'm set to 1500 calories and i've lost 9lb in two weeks, some water weight but still 9lbs is 9lbs. Maybe consider increasing your intake?
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    Under no circumstance should you eat less than 1200 calories for more than one day. Your brain needs over 600 calories just to make it through a day. So, it shuts down other functions in the body if you restrict calories too low.
  • jerilynn529
    jerilynn529 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I knew something had to be off with my numbers. So much info out there you just don't know what's correct.

Thanks!!!
  • hernamewasdana
    Options
    http://keto-calculator.ankerl.com/

Please use that website to set your numbers to a SAFE level. What you are doing now is unhealthy and, long-term, dangerous. You should do a LOT of reading about ketogenic lifestyle and techniques before jumping in all willy-nilly. This isn't a crash diet. This is changing the way your body has likely been functioning your entire life. Do it right, do it safe, and you WILL see results.
  • DintheT
    Options
    Yup yup, use the calculator!
  • kenkl
    kenkl Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Third-ing the recommendation for using the Keto Calculator. Also, drink more water. If you think you're drinking enough, drink more. I throw down 3 to 4 litres a day. I notice weightloss will slow/stall if I "only" drink 2/day.
  • bacitracin
    bacitracin Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    With keto, you really don't have to count calories as much. I can cite studies that show that there is body fat percentage loss even in an average daily small caloric surplus.

On that note, make sure you get all your micronutrients (vitamins, minerals) with your macronutrients (fat, protein). Eat a diverse variety of foods and NEVER i repeat NEVER go hungry. That is the way to FAIL. Eat until you're full, but no more. On keto, you should feel full a lot sooner and get hungry a lot slower, so overall you take in less calories.

2lbs a week weight loss is a deficit of 7200 calories over 7 days. That's burning 1018 calories a day over what you eat. If you eat 900 calories a day, you're looking to burn 1918? That's not even sustainable in my opinion, and that's considered the upper range of "healthy" weight loss. To burn 2 kilos a week, you'd need to burn 2200 calories more than you ate. EVERY DAY. If you do that, you're likely to end up malnourished with muscle loss, weak skin and nails and your hair falling out. Ain't nobody got time fa dat! Have another piece of bacon! :D Lift something heavy for 90 seconds, then run around for awhile!

You didn't get in this situation in a couple weeks, you're not gonna get out in a couple weeks. It's gonna take a lot of time to recomposition your body and get fit. It's gonna be a lot of work. You better fuel up right! :D Weight loss is mostly diet, and only partly from exercise. You can burn body fat by sitting on the couch and eating less than your Total Daily Energy Expenditure, but you will definitely speed it up AND look and feel better by resistance training to tone up your muscles and tighten skin, which also increases our metabolism and burns calories over the course of a few HOURS. Cardio, not so much, but I enjoy it.