Hello, new to 5x5 and weight lifting, discouraged.

Options
Hello all.

Today was my first day in the wight room and my first 5x5 workout. I watched a lot of videos on the exercises and form and practiced at home weight free to semi-know what I was going to be doing. I met a gentleman who kindly offered a few tips as I was going along and then we got to talking about what I was doing for my workout. He asked about it and I answered best as I could. He basically "poo-pooed" the program and said, " No no, you should begin with hypertrophic workouts because you're new and you will still gain strength/ muscle that way (i.e. newbie gains)". I was extremely nervous about going to the gym to do this in the first place and now I kind of don't want to go back! I know, just need to do it and press on, right? Anyone else have an experience like this? :blushing:

Replies

• LadyDeadlift
    LadyDeadlift Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on getting out for your first workout!

There are lots of opinions about a lot of things and today this gentleman expressed his to you. It happens to differ from your own.

So, what?

Go back and do your next SL 5x5 workout!
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    Don't be discouraged. I can guarantee that this has happened to almost everyone at some point. If you're able to be polite about it (I'm not always able to :smile: ), a smile and a thank you usually appeases the person and they leave you alone.

That being said, the guy doesn't know what he's talking about. If you look up hypertrophy workouts, StrongLifts is esentially that.

From Wikipedia (for simplicity):
    Principles of HST

Mechanical Load: Tension loading of muscles through exercise is a prerequisite for muscle hypertrophy.[2]
    Chronic Stimulation: These stimuli must be applied with sufficient frequency. Recovery can take place unabated even if the muscle is loaded again in 48 hours.[3] Acute responses to training, such as increased rates of protein accretion, return to normal in about 36 hours. Given these facts, waiting more than 48 hours between bouts of training for a particular muscle is a waste of time.
    Progressive Load: Over time, the tissue adapts and becomes resistant to the effects of mechanical load. To remain effective, the load must be steadily increased over time at a pace which exceeds the rate of adaptation.
    Strategic Deconditioning: When the load has been increased at the appropriate pace for long enough, the weights either become intolerable, or the risk of injury becomes too great. Since the load can no longer be increased, to continue hypertrophy, the adaptation to the load must be reversed. To accomplish this, after the highest weights are used, training is halted for a period to allow the muscles to "Decondition" and allow hypertrophic response to training once again. This process happens after the end of a 6-8 week "cycle" and can last from 9–14 days preceding a new "cycle".

Mechanical load is the weight part of the exercise. Chronic stimulation is the three times a week. Progressive load is increasing your weight each workout. Strategic Deconditioning is taking a week or two to deload your weights for rest.

I wouldn't worry about what other people think you should do. Do the program that you get the most enjoyment and benefit from.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    This is why I keep to myself at the gym. Opinions are like *kitten*.
  • EatAllTheCake
    EatAllTheCake Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice and the explanation, This is my favorite:
    This is why I keep to myself at the gym. Opinions are like *kitten*.
    :laugh:
    I feel a bit less discouraged now and I'm sure by Friday I will have mostly forgotten all about today and be ready to tackle the next workout!
  • hearthemelody
    hearthemelody Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    I am so glad you feel better!

I was so concerned about going to a gym (and I am a super cheap skate) that I just decided to buy my own weight set. Wasn't even that expensive, so totally worth it!
  • krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Haha, I went through the opposite last weekend and this guy told me he thought my form was good and that my program looked solid! (Not sure if he was trying to flirt a bit too. Might remain a mystery forever)

However, there was also this one time this guy walked up to me to tell me I looked like I had a lot of estrogen and that it might be getting in the way of my fat loss (thanks, man!) >_<

All in all tho, it's your workout. Do your thing and don't worry too much. Haters gonna hate!
  • jstout365
    jstout365 Posts: 1,686 Member
    Options
    Yep, press on. You will hear a lot of crap from people who have no clue as to what you should or should not do. Women will tell you that you shouldn't lift because you'll get all muscly and dudes will tell you that you want to stay in the high rep, light weight, pink dumbbell section. Ignore them all. Lift what and how you want to lift. If someone tells you something you know is BS just say, "I'll do some research on that and take it into consideration" if you want to be nice. I personally wear headphones and get left alone for the most part. Even if they aren't playing music, people are less likely to talk to you if you have headphones in.
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options

However, there was also this one time this guy walked up to me to tell me I looked like I had a lot of estrogen and that it might be getting in the way of my fat loss (thanks, man!) >_<

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
    I like to think that was a pick up line. "Hey baby. You look like you have lots of estrogen. Meeee---ow!"
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of opinions out there. Do whichever routine you want to. There's nothing wrong with doing something like he said if that's what you want to do. I'd rather work on building strength first before "big". Because what's the point in having big muscles if they aren't even that strong?
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Yah I have a room at home...eek...not sure how I would respond to that either...

That being said I have a trial membership at the gym in town that my DH got me for Christmas...a couples membership....he doesn't use the equipment at home....:laugh: but we are going after our holidays in Feb and after the NY resolution folks have petered off...

For me it will depend on who is giving the advice and what the advice is.

If it's about my program..whatever...
    If it's about my form I will ask their qualifications, that being said there are a few trainers at this gym...competitors as well...

If it's the roid pumped young trainer there who spit on my son's window Imma gonna tell him to float...
  • victoriannsays
    victoriannsays Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Screw that guy. People like that are why I have my own home gym. And he's the ignorant one, not you! Get back out there. When he sees you at the gym in a few months and sees your progress he'll know he was wrong.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Screw that guy. People like that are why I have my own home gym. And he's the ignorant one, not you! Get back out there. When he sees you at the gym in a few months and sees your progress he'll know he was wrong.

Holy wow...your back looks amazing....

*sorry to hijack....
  • UpperBodyLowerBody
    UpperBodyLowerBody Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    You're going to get lots of comments, opinions, and advice as everybody has said. I put on headphones and leave the world behind.
  • EatAllTheCake
    EatAllTheCake Posts: 32 Member
    Options

Holy wow...your back looks amazing....

*sorry to hijack....

Yeah, wow, I agree!

Just checking back. I went to the gym today and got my workout done! The gentleman was not there today, whew. Everyone else left me alone other than polite greetings and sharing of equipment, so it was good. I think from here on out as I get used to this I'll be more prepared to shrug off the unsolicited advice (other than form tips). Thanks again all :)