I'm struggling 1 week after surgery

Options
I had the sleeve done last week. We had no pre-op dieting for the most part.

First two days of clear liquids. Now Im struggling with the full liquid diet. I hate brothy soup, tapioca, yogurt, cream of whatever... And it is killing me!

I am soooo regretting the surgery. I just want to be normal. Im definitely questioning if I could have done this without the surgery.

Im barely getting the protein and water I need. Im failing miserably at this.

Have any of you experienced this?

Replies

• garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    I haven't experienced this, but... you had the surgery, and now you have a forward path to go on. Please don't put energy into questioning your decision. There will be a lot of trial and error in your future, but there are going to be SO many positives. If you can shift your focus there, think about the great things that will come of this, it might help lift your spirits a little. In the mean time, try different things to see what will work for you and what you can tolerate. If you have to, set alarms or make a schedule to remind yourself to drink or take in your protein. Remember that this is a temporary phase, and you will get back to normal, although it will be a new normal. Also, the physical changes and recuperation can definitely affect you emotionally. It can be overwhelming after surgery when you realize, "I did this!" A new way of life can be scary, but the more you get used to it, the more you will be able to embrace it! Good luck to you, I think you will do great! Just take a deep breath :-)
  • snickerdoolers
    snickerdoolers Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    You've got this! I too went threw a panic attack about a week after my surgery. But as i felt better i became more confident in myself. Now i'm feeling great and am really motivated! Just remember too that your hormones are doing a 360 and taking you along for the ride. till they balance out again. I'm sure you made the right decision, think of the reasons you that helped you decide to do this in the first place! Write em down along with some goals you had and reread them often.
  • Agate69
    Agate69 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Remember you just had major surgery. Don't panic, you will find a new healthier you under this even of you did not do much pre op work to change your eating mindset, you can still call around to other bariatric surgery groups, find a support group, and get your head in the game. If you don't like yogurt, texture,thickness, flavor, mix it with a flavor of crystal light you like and drink it really thin, goes down easily and you NEED the fluids and protein to recover.
    Get some unflavored protein powder and mix in water with a little sugar free jello in a flavor you like, drink up!
    I am sad that you were not better prepared for dietary changes before surgery, but you can do it! You will soon be claiming it was the best decision you ever made. I know I feel that way, FINALLY
  • Agate69
    Agate69 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I had the sleeve done last week. We had no pre-op dieting for the most part.

First two days of clear liquids. Now Im struggling with the full liquid diet. I hate brothy soup, tapioca, yogurt, cream of whatever... And it is killing me!

I am soooo regretting the surgery. I just want to be normal. Im definitely questioning if I could have done this without the surgery.

Im barely getting the protein and water I need. Im failing miserably at this.

Have any of you experienced this?

YOU ARE NOT FAILING! If you are getting the water you need, that is a huge accomplishment. Now concentrate on a protein that works for you. Take time to heal. It will get easier
  • booksgiver
    booksgiver Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Hi and welcome to MFP. Here you will find support from caring folks. It seems to me that you didn't get the best pre-surgery information. Also more information about the post surgery requirements as well as the impact of such a dramatic decision on you emotionally, would have been invaluable. Ok, like another member commented..it's done. You're feeling overwhelmed right now and it sounds like you feel depressed and discouraged. Although I didn't have the surgery I think I can understand a bit of how you feel. Food has always been my best friend....well, at least I thought so. Turns out, food for me, is sorta like the wolf in sheep's clothing because I couldn't control the wolf in my head. I ate way too much and I ended up with a BMI of over 60% and crippled. When I finally had to "do or die" and reduced my calories, I became depressed. It seemed like that best friend I had always relied on to cheer me up, calm me down, celebrate with, and look forward to, was lost. The only way I could really deal with that sense of deprivation was just to acknowledge it and try to understand why I was feeling that way. Then I realized that I'd just have to endure it, wait it out, in other words, put on my "big girl panties" and deal with it. I had to rethink all the reasons that had motivated me to begin. I had to make a list of all the good benefits I was going to have in my life, my longer life, if I could lose weight. I had to push those familiar longings for food back and admit that food is tough for me to manage and it wasn't going to be easy, but I could do it. So can you. Don't look at your liquid diet as just food. It's literally helping you to heal right now and it's a step into wellness. It's a phase, one you will get past. You said you wanted things to just be "normal". Well, the truth is that I never was normal about food or I'd not have gotten to 339 pounds. Returning to "Normal" might have meant weighing 400 pounds in a couple of years. " Not normal" and dealing with such a huge change meant that I could actually be slim in a couple of years instead. Like me, if you can lose weight, then you'll likely have a longer life and a much improved quality of life. I the decision to buckle down and live with the discomfort of not eating everything I wanted. It's been ore than a year and I've lost more than 100 pounds. Has it been easy? No, but it gets easier and while I still miss those fun days of eating to my heart's content, I like the person I am more. I move easier, breathe easier and it feels good to have some sense of control again. Anyway, you're having a tough time right now, and it sounds like it might be tough for a while, but I suspect you're up to the challenge. Be encouraged and take it one day at a time.
  • stroynaya
    stroynaya Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Given that you didn't seem to get much pre-surgery diet advice, I recommend you get a cookbook specifically for WLS. The one I have and love is called Eating Well after Weight Loss Surgery. Not only are the meals nutritionally geared towards post-WLS needs, but it has variations on serving the meals for all the WLS types and periods (1 week, 1 month, 3 months, etc.) after surgery. This will also give you a few more options to try as far as meals go too.

Hang in there, the full liquid phase is not that long in the scheme of things. Soon you will be able to start adding pureed and soft foods again, then slowly add solids back in. You can do it!
  • Skykilr1
    Skykilr1 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    For the 1st week or 2 all I was thinking was "maybe I should have tried NutriSystem or an Atkins diet another chance. Those 1-2 weeks are rough. You're hurting and body is in a panic and starving. Plus without a pre-op diet your body and mind is really freaking out because you didn't get a couple weeks before the surgery to get used things. At least before you could occasional cheat just to stay sane. Now I think everyone has a hard time getting their protein and water in for the 1st month. I couldn't hardly drink water which made my legs cramp so bad that I couldn't walk. A lot of people have trouble with the water because of course you stomach has no room anymore, still swollen and healing but also many people say the problem is they don't like the taste of water. If you drink 3 normal size protein shakes a day that will almost cover all the protein you need and almost 1/2 of the water you'd need. Plus you can have tea, zero cal Gatorade, Crystal Light, etc...When you mix up the liquids it won't seem as hard as you think. 6 bottles of plain water, eckkk. But a glass of tea, bottle of Gatorade, a couple protein shakes and your done for the day. After about a month everything gets easier. Then you can start adding foods. Even if you can't hit the mark of proteins and water just try to push it each day, the closer the better. In a month or 2 you'll look back and say "Holy cow! I lost 20-40 lbs". Then you'll probably say "I wish I'd had the surgery even sooner." That's what I said.
  • pattycakes726
    pattycakes726 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    The first couple weeks are tough. It will get better, and very soon! Most people struggle to get in their liquids and protein. My doc told me to focus on liquids and do what I could with the protein. He said your body can do without all of the protein for a while but really needs the liquids. It was at least a week before I could drink 50 oz a day.

Try to relax, walk, sleep, keep sipping. Call your surgeon's office if you need reassurance. You're on the loser's bench now and you'll probably like it here :)
  • bikrchk
    bikrchk Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    You're only a week out Your new tummy is still swollen and will likely be grumpy with whatever you put in it for the first week or two. IT GETS BETTER! I did not get my recommended protein\liquids until week 2. Stay hydrated and do the best you can. You can do this and it does get better! Though I was back at work the week after, I didn't really feel myself for about the first month. Now in month 3 I'm a WAY better version of me! You have a lot to look forward to! Hang in there!
  • JenaOnTrack74
    JenaOnTrack74 Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    THIS is why this Group is SO important!
    OP I hope you're feeling a little better and weather or not it was a a mistake for you it's done now. I hope you find a way to turn it around and see it through to your goals! We are here if you need advice or just good ol' encouragment!

When we FEEL bad we feel bad and it's ok just don't give up on yourself! :flowerforyou:
  • MaggyMaizy2
    MaggyMaizy2 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    There is so much great advice and information already given, so I won't repeat it. I just want to share with you my experience immediately following RNY surgery. For the first two months post surgery, I had constant nausea. Nothing helped, not even meds used for chemo patients. Then one day it was gone. During that time I also had three mini meltdowns, questioning why I had done such a thing to my body. But after that first two months, my body adjusted, followed by a mental adjustment!

Nearly 18 months later, I'm at my goal weight (145 pounds at 5'8"). I can eat most foods, just in smaller portions. I still can't do pasta, but that's okay. I'm off blood pressure and diabetes meds. I feel so much better than before surgery. BUT, if someone had told me before surgery what I would go through during those first two months, I wouldn't have had the courage to go through with it. You WILL get through this phase. You WILL feel better sooner rather than later. Prayers your way!

Maggy :smile:
  • JenaOnTrack74
    Options
    There is so much great advice and information already given, so I won't repeat it. I just want to share with you my experience immediately following RNY surgery. For the first two months post surgery, I had constant nausea. Nothing helped, not even meds used for chemo patients. Then one day it was gone. During that time I also had three mini meltdowns, questioning why I had done such a thing to my body. But after that first two months, my body adjusted, followed by a mental adjustment!

Nearly 18 months later, I'm at my goal weight (145 pounds at 5'8"). I can eat most foods, just in smaller portions. I still can't do pasta, but that's okay. I'm off blood pressure and diabetes meds. I feel so much better than before surgery. BUT, if someone had told me before surgery what I would go through during those first two months, I wouldn't have had the courage to go through with it. You WILL get through this phase. You WILL feel better sooner rather than later. Prayers your way!

What great input Maggy!
  • JenaOnTrack74
    Options
    For the 1st week or 2 all I was thinking was "maybe I should have tried NutriSystem or an Atkins diet another chance. Those 1-2 weeks are rough. You're hurting and body is in a panic and starving. Plus without a pre-op diet your body and mind is really freaking out because you didn't get a couple weeks before the surgery to get used things. At least before you could occasional cheat just to stay sane. Now I think everyone has a hard time getting their protein and water in for the 1st month. I couldn't hardly drink water which made my legs cramp so bad that I couldn't walk. A lot of people have trouble with the water because of course you stomach has no room anymore, still swollen and healing but also many people say the problem is they don't like the taste of water. If you drink 3 normal size protein shakes a day that will almost cover all the protein you need and almost 1/2 of the water you'd need. Plus you can have tea, zero cal Gatorade, Crystal Light, etc...When you mix up the liquids it won't seem as hard as you think. 6 bottles of plain water, eckkk. But a glass of tea, bottle of Gatorade, a couple protein shakes and your done for the day. After about a month everything gets easier. Then you can start adding foods. Even if you can't hit the mark of proteins and water just try to push it each day, the closer the better. In a month or 2 you'll look back and say "Holy cow! I lost 20-40 lbs". Then you'll probably say "I wish I'd had the surgery even sooner." That's what I said.
    You know that is one thing I noticed when I was doing the research on my own was over and over again people ALWAYS ended their stories with "I wish I had done it sooner!" It was actually one of the main reasons I went on to talk to my Dr. about WLS.
  • DJRonnieLINY
    DJRonnieLINY Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    You need to find a Bariatric support group and attend. The program I am in has an RN from the hospital who was available to me every day. She called me and I called her. When I started the process I thought I would do my three required group classes, check off the box and be done with it but I found the group very helpful. Hopefully you can locate a group and get the regular face to face support you need.
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    I agree with Ronnie about the support groups, I have continued attending support groups and it's been great. There are people who are pre-surgery, post surgery at many stages, and even people who are years post surgery. So much real life insight, information, and support that is priceless.
  • JenaOnTrack74
    Options
    Just wanted to let you all know I have been in contact with belledebut the OP and she is feeling much better and was able to read all of your wonderful supportive responses. She said she will check back in soon.
    You all are awesome! :flowerforyou:

Jena
  • MaggyMaizy2
    MaggyMaizy2 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to let you all know I have been in contact with belledebut the OP and she is feeling much better and was able to read all of your wonderful supportive responses. She said she will check back in soon.
    You all are awesome! :flowerforyou:

Jena

Thank you for following up with the OP, belledebut, Jena.
    Because there are no free bariatric support groups in my area, I rely on MFP for support and direction. It truly is a lifeline when things get tough!

• JenaOnTrack74
    Options
    [/quote]

Thank you for following up with the OP, belledebut, Jena.
    Because there are no free bariatric support groups in my area, I rely on MFP for support and direction. It truly is a lifeline when things get tough!

[/quote]

So glad you're here Maggy. Your accomplishment is astounding! Congratulations! So many of us, look at your success and are utterly inspired! So glad we have each other for support.

Jena
  • belledebut
    Options
    Thank all of you guys for the support! I am doing muuuuch better
  • stroynaya
    stroynaya Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Glad to hear it!