First Time Commenter

Options
Hi Everyone,

This is my first time commenting on MFP, although have been logging food intake on/off for a couple of years.
I was diagnosed with PCOS (conclusively) 3 years ago at the ago of 24. I have been exhibiting PCOS symptoms since I was 15 and have been in and out of Dr's, blood tests etc since then.

When I was 17 I lost a lot of weight simply by going for a very short "stroll" in the morning a couple of times a week and eating a reasonable diet (which regularly included PASTA of an EVENING). I lost about 25kg and the weight just seemed to drop off, which was excellent.

Fast forward 10 years to the present day, I am 10kg heavier than I was before I lost the weight at age 17 and am having a very trying time of losing anything! I eat fairly well, healthily with some little adjustments needed to attain the "clean eater status" however, I do thoroughly believe that my eating habits would be considered low GI. I do not eat bread, rice or pasta more than 2-3 times monthly (this carb restriction has been the case for years now). My other main meals are composed of protein and vegetables only. I eat fruit but only in the mornings and the only processed items I consume are jam (70% fruit), cruskits and ricotta/cottage cheese (if you consider those processed). I also have been working out (as in 40-60min sessions with a personal trainer) 4-5 times a week. I have been doing this level of exercise for approx. 10 weeks. I have been concentrating on perfecting my eating habits for the last 2 weeks. The result: a fluctuating loss/gain of -1.5 - + 2 kg.

As you can imagine, this is very very frustrating and disheartening. I am attending a doctor today, hopefully to be put on some kind of medication for the PCOS, I hope this works and allows my current efforts to be reflected in some results.

Has anyone else suffered like this? Did you overcome it? How did you do so?

Replies

• CharRicho
    CharRicho Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I haven't ever been able to lose any weight unless I was on the bc pill (and there was only one specific type that made that possible) or on metformin.

Definitely ask your doc about metformin. It's pretty much first line treatment for PCOS. It's not a cure, and it won't make you "normal", but it should help you be able to lose weight especially since you already have a healthy lifestyle. And losing weight will help with other PCOS symptoms.
  • nocklez87
    Options
    Thanks CharRicho! I have done a little research and Met was definitely on my list of things to discuss with the doctor. I hope it works for me.

As a side note to the strange pattern of w/loss, I lost 5 kilos in just under a month in 2013 and have fought to keep at least that off. Interestingly though, It was during a short term overseas exchange to Japan, even more interesting; I was not taking any medication at that time, I had made a deal with myself to enjoy the cuisine and culture rather than worrying about weight loss etc, I was walking 10-15km per day (Made for very sore feet for the first week but started to build up some fitness and enjoyed it by the end :) as that is just part of the lifestyle there. I had a really great time over there and was generally in a consistently excellent mood and very happy, it makes me wonder whether or not there are any psychological or emotional links between the weightloss (or lack thereof) and the associated hormonal problems with the PCOS.

Goodluck with your losing, looks like you've done a great job so far :)
  • Bertie02
    Bertie02 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    There is defiantly a psychological mind set to losing weight, there are tons of studies regarding stress affecting weight loss. I'm wondering if your diet is too restrictive. I know for me if I cut out all refined carbs my body stalls and holds on to or gains weight. Because of this I decided I'm not going to cut out everything that is bad for me but I'm going to concentrate on having healthy foods. With that being said I'm going with a motto of 90/10. I'm going to eat healthy clean food 90% of the time and give myself the option to have not so sensible foods the other 10% of the time. It makes it easy for me to stick to eating healthy, I don't feel deprived and I get a good variety of food options. So far its working really well for me.

I wish you luck