Trouble Times

Options
kaseymo
kaseymo Posts: 5 Member
So, I have noticed that since I've been working on revamping my lifestyle, I have some big time at-risk periods of the day. I have been doing a good job of managing most of those 'trigger' times, but the last few nights, I have really felt like I've lost control at night. I find that I just start rummaging through the cabinets after my daughter goes to sleep and undo a lot of the good I did for the day. As of yet, it isn't really affecting the scale, but I know it's a matter of time. I KNOW that this is a bad behavior, and I KNOW all the things out there that I would tell people to do if they came to me, but nothing seems to be helping me as of yet. I guess my question is, does anyone else have any issues similar to this, or has anyone found a way to overcome this? I don't want this to be my undoing for my healthy new lifestyle! I know it seems silly, but for whatever reason, this is a difficult thing for me to admit. I don't like to admit that I would knowingly do something so damaging to myself! Ugh! Any words of wisdom, or similar situations would be appreciated! :)

Replies

• cuinboston2014
    cuinboston2014 Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    Hey Kaseymo - sorry to hear about this. It's frustrating for sure. I used to have the same problem and have been doing a fairly good job of balancing it lately - except Tuesday night. Tuesday night after my friend left I helped myself to some braed with mayo, some cracker chip things - OK i don't remember what I all ate but I just kept snacking and I wasn't hungry. Despite waiting for my friend to eat dinner, eating only a small portion of sushi etc it's like I undid it all.

I realized that my job has so much to do with my eating habits. I'm not happy at my job - in fact I sort of dread going. And sometimes that pours into my diet at home. I do like to think of my own home as a "healthy" zone. We aren't freaks about it but we don't keep a lot of junk food, if any, in the house. When I walk into my house I usually feel refreshed and healthy and good and I want to keep it that way.

I walk into my parents house and I plunge into candy, chips, pizza, etc. Anything.

To think of my house as a healthy zone really helps my mind and body. Really helps my eating. I also force myself to weigh in the morning after evening snacking to see a reflection, if any, of what damage it did the night before. Even if I didn't gain weight my body usually retains the excess sodium.

YOu have to find out what is triggering you to want to eat then. Are you bored? Is there something bothering you? Food won't fix it but we always think it will.

Instead of eating, what about drinking some tea or low calorie no caffeine beverage? Doing something else with your hands like a puzzle or a crossword book that will also take your mind off of it? What about doing some sit ups or push ups and then seeing. If you still want to snack, then cut up a cucumber or an apple and have ONE healthy snack.

If you are home with just you and your daughter it can be so much harder to stay accountable at night. Can you call a friend? if you are married, talk to your husband at night. Replace it with something else. But you always have to find out why you are doing it in the first place.

I'm a self sabotageour so I always get in my own way as I'm scared I can't reach my own goals or that when I do I wont' be happy. That triggers me a LOT. It's something for you too - just find it :)

Sorry so long!
  • littlemzkitty
    littlemzkitty Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Hi kaseymo!

I find I have the same problem. I get home from work around 5:30, I take the dogs out for a quick walk to the park across the street, get home around ~6, then I make myself a nice healthy dinner and eat it around 6:30-7. Problem is that I don't go to bed until around 10:30, and I LOVE snacking during that time. Popcorn is my main trouble, but last week I ate a whole pie over the course of a few days!!

One thing that I have found that helps is decaf coffee. It makes me feel full and I don't want to snack. I find water doesn't help curb the want to snack. Reading and watching TV are the worst for me, so when it gets really bad, I turn off the TV or put the book down and go on the computer or play with my dogs for a while. I am trying to learn a second language and found a good website to help. That helps take my mind of things because it's busy trying to learn things.

I'm still trying to work through it, and I have my good days and bad days, but you just have to keep going. Don't beat yourself up too much if you slip and eat that bag of chips, just try again the next day.
  • mariah_papaya
    mariah_papaya Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Sounds dumb but.... sometimes I brush my teeth if I feel like eating something. Then I know that, if I do go ahead and stuff it down my gullet, I'm going to have to re-brush my teeth, which I am OCD about hating to do.
    Everyone else's points about herb tea, etc are great!
    Sometimes if the sugar craving is intolerable, I'll have a hot chocolate. It feels like a mega indulgence but is only about 120 cals.
    And sometimes, I just go on a spree and eat everything in sight. Hahaha! Then I'll feel gross and awful and hate myself for awhile, but then go to the gym in the morning and rip it twice as hard. Sometimes I like to just remind myself that this system is more or less working for me. That I haven't really gained or lost any weight in over a decade, that a face-stuffing fest is really not the end of the world. Actually, I find that when I am less harsh on myself, less judgemental, I am able to stop much easier, like oh, haha, silly me, stuffing my face - what's that all about? Instead of OHHHH MYYYYY GOOODDDD I AM A DISGUSTING PIG!!!!! Which makes me want to eat MORE!
    Hey, it's a battle.
  • kaseymo
    kaseymo Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! Those are all great thoughts. It is so important to figure out what has been going on in my own mind to make this happen. I really appreciate the tips. I noticed last night that I felt the urge to munch so I pulled out a pear and a string cheese. That met my sweet tooth craving, and the salty craving. It's good to know that I'm not the only one out there. cuinboston, I like your comment about being a self sabotageour. That really fits me to a T. It helps to admit it and talk about it. Somehow, those late night snack sessions never made it into my food diary either, so I would conveniently forget about them! I am committing to entering in all the bites that go in my head. We'll all figure it out, right?!

I appreciate the comments and support!
  • Leisalynn84
    Leisalynn84 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I like to knit and crochet, I can't eat when my hands are full of yarn, lol. I love making scarves and cute little baby hats. I recently made a Hello Kitty hat for my daughter. I learned how to knit and crochet by watching youtube videos. I also like making hairbows and little clips. I still find myself wanting to snack every now and then but I find that it's mostly because I'm bored and if I pick up a project the urge to walk into the kitchen goes away.
  • cuinboston2014
    cuinboston2014 Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    I like to knit and crochet, I can't eat when my hands are full of yarn, lol. I love making scarves and cute little baby hats. I recently made a Hello Kitty hat for my daughter. I learned how to knit and crochet by watching youtube videos. I also like making hairbows and little clips. I still find myself wanting to snack every now and then but I find that it's mostly because I'm bored and if I pick up a project the urge to walk into the kitchen goes away.

I love this, too. I ALWAYS need to do something with my hands. I always read that people do this when they are anxious but I don't think I'm a terribly anxious person and most people don't notice it but I do. I break my food into smaller pieces even if it makes a mess so I have more to do with my hands, always have to text, type, doodle, etc. Doing something with your hands is absolutely critical sometimes!

I was actually just thinking about trying to learn how to knit - for the 3rd time - lol. Would be nice to be able to do something with my hands that's actually productive...
  • Leisalynn84
    Options

I love this, too. I ALWAYS need to do something with my hands. I always read that people do this when they are anxious but I don't think I'm a terribly anxious person and most people don't notice it but I do. I break my food into smaller pieces even if it makes a mess so I have more to do with my hands, always have to text, type, doodle, etc. Doing something with your hands is absolutely critical sometimes!

Do it! I only know how to knit, I haven't bothered to learn how to purl yet (a combination of knitting and purling is how you get cool designs) So far I only knit scarves but they look pretty cool. I use a really chunky yarn and BIG needles and I can finish a scarf in an hour or two!

I was actually just thinking about trying to learn how to knit - for the 3rd time - lol. Would be nice to be able to do something with my hands that's actually productive...
  • Leisalynn84
    Options
    uuuh...that didn't post the way I wanted to, but you get what I was trying to say : )