Re-feeds/Diet break protocol question?

Options
cajuntank
cajuntank Posts: 924 Member
This question relates to something I did using a suggestion from Sara about a diet and training break a couple of weeks ago that helped tremendously. What I am interested in, is do either of you subscribe to a particular re-feed/diet break protocol? If so, is one better than the other for different circumstances?

So for example, following your normal everyday weight training program, there will be a de-load scheduled or forced as part of the program's protocol. I have read several suggested diet protocols from different sites and blogs from trainers in regards to this. Some say to break (eating at maintenance) for a week or two after 5% or 10% loss, some I've read mention a break after so many weeks of cutting (say maybe 8-16 weeks), another I saw mentioned a reefed "day" every week, or two weeks, or once a month, depending on how much fat you were still holding (so the more fat, the less frequent re-feed; less fat, more frequent the re-feed). There might be others, but these are the main ones I run across.

Thanks.

Replies

• Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Tagging,but going to quickly comment that refeeds and diet breaks are relatively distinct from each other.

A refeed where you have a day (or two) a week where you significantly increase your carbs. Some people, as I do, leave their other macros as is, others may have a low fat day to allow for more carbs.

A diet break is generally where you eat at maintenance for 10 days to 2 weeks. It is more about eating to maintenance rather than getting carbs up per se.

Will respond more fully with the pro's cons shortly.
  • MickeS
    MickeS Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Diet break? Re-feeds? You got my attention:tongue:
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    In to learn more, especially as they relate to/tie into deloads (if that's not too much of a derail).
  • FitterBody
    FitterBody Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    In. For response.
  • WannabeSC
    WannabeSC Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    In to learn more, very confused about these topics. Also have questions about exactly where BF% range should be to allow for strength/muscle gain and how low it can be maintained without loss of muscle in a 47 year old female. Look forward to learning!
  • artsycella
    artsycella Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    In for curiosity!
  • Meggles63
    Meggles63 Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    bumping for more info.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Tagging this.
  • tomcornhole
    tomcornhole Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    I refeed once or twice a week depending on what my body is telling me. I'm low carb most days (<100g) and I have found that my performance is negatively impacted by the lack of carbs. So I do this:

Sun - Fri: 30/35/35 (Carbs/Protein/Fat). And I usually don't hit my carb macro and exceed my protein macro. Target right now is 2,000 cal / day.

Saturday: 185g protein, 70g fat, eat whatever carbs I want. On these days, I'll usually hit 3,500-4,000. So it's both a refeed and a diet break for me.

I have found that the single refeed day is not enough for my lifting, so I usually do a more traditional refeed on Wednesday. That looks like this:

Wed: I target 185g protein exactly and then fill the rest of calories with carbs. Fat falls out wherever. So this is more of a classic reefed where I stay within my calorie limit.

That's my approach. Been doing it for 2 years now, so it works for me. I would love to just eat all the foods all the time but my brain housing group isn't compatible with that right now. I used to be no carb but now I'm just low carb. It works for me.

Tom
  • cajuntank
    Options
    So basically what I take away from the scenarios given and from what I glean from an interview with Eric Helms on re-feeds, a good protocol to follow would be maybe once every two weeks at my current body fat level, eat at maintenance or a little above as maintenance calories are a relatively daily moving target depending on activity for that day, keeping protein and fat relatively the same (only dropping some fat and/or protein if necessary as they have less impact on metabolism) and upping carbs. Once body fat % comes in or under say 15%, reassess as additional frequency will probably need to be added.

Diet breaks are still up for inquiry as the question now arises that if one is now including a re-feed protocol in his/her routine, then are diet breaks still required? Would one still maybe need to break every say 16 weeks or so and eat at maintenance for and extended period of time (my example was say 1 or 2 weeks)?
  • husseycd
    husseycd Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I refeed every Friday and Saturday, but I'm sure it's the wrong way... :drinker:
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Diet breaks are still up for inquiry as the question now arises that if one is now including a re-feed protocol in his/her routine, then are diet breaks still required? Would one still maybe need to break every say 16 weeks or so and eat at maintenance for and extended period of time (my example was say 1 or 2 weeks)?

I think the usefulness and/or necessity of a diet break is going to vary heavily based on the individual and his or her circumstances.

For example, when I go on a cut it typically last anywhere from 8 to about 14 weeks. For me, there's no sense in taking a diet break because I can adhere, my performance levels do not typically suffer, and most of all the duration of the deficit is low enough that it doesn't really make sense.

But for others not all of those variables will match the scenario I laid out above. People who have adherence issues and who diet for several months would probably benefit from periodic maintenance breaks.
  • cajuntank
    Options
    Ok, thanks everyone who provided input. I have a protocol plan in my head now that sounds solid. Will re-feed once every two weeks as previously stated until lower bf%. Then up frequency as needed. Will initiate diet breaks every 14-16 weeks as needed, but might be a moot issue as it might not take me that long to reach goal weight now, but I like to follow a protocol which gives me something to adhere to as opposed to "winging" it on things I'm not sure about.