Week 5 failure

Options
Nope, not the big run. I attempted Week 5 Day 2 yesterday, which in my program is two 8 min runs with a 5 min walk between. I was able to do the first 8, but only made 5 min of the second run before I had to take a breather (I walked for 1 min, then ran for 3 more min). My question is, do I repeat this day or go on to the "big run" of 20 min? I feel fairly certain that either way I won't be able to run for 20 min. My main issue is catching my breath (I have exercise induced asthma). I had one prior failure, but I was able to do it on the next attempt (and day 2 was the same as day 1 that week), so I just continued on with the program. I have already slowed down as far as I can; anything slower will be a shuffle that will make me trip and face plant on the treadmill. I am afraid that maybe I won't continue improving, and I don't want to do too much too soon, but I also don't want to stop challenging myself. I am probably way overthinking this.

tl;dr: when you fail a day, is it better to repeat (multiple times if necessary), or should you just carry on and see if you can do the next run? And has anyone else been struggling but overcome it?

Replies

• likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Do you have an inhaler? I take a couple of puffs before any intense run. In the long run, the aerobic capacity you build by running will make your asthma less limiting.

It sounds like you need to work on form. Try running in place. Use the same steps per minute that you do on the treadmill (this is also known as cadence) but don't move at all. Keep your body upright and your core muscles tight. Then try moving forward an inch at a time. Repeat this a few times. Memorize this feeling. (This is close to what I do when I "run" with my three-year-old. Her run is my walk, but she likes the experience of "running" with me. It is a legitimate run, and I consider it a form drill.)

The next time you get on the treadmill, start slowly. Replicate the feeling of running in place and then slowly forward. Slowly increase the speed to your normal run pace, pausing every three to four tenths of a mile to adjust to running at that speed. Note where it first starts feeling easier for you (yes, it feels easier at higher speeds, mostly because your form is improving automatically at higher speeds, but you want to get comfortable with SLOW.)

I'm personally in the "repeat" camp, but others have successfully completed the program by just moving forward. Everybody who hasn't slowed down enough by this point struggles with it. This is where the majority of people quit. Don't be one of them. You can do it.
  • hoyalawya2003
    hoyalawya2003 Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I never thought about trying to run in place to slow down. Probably easier to slow down first off the treadmill (I'm kind of clumsy). Will give it a go, and maybe drag out the inhaler, too.
  • jessiekanga
    jessiekanga Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I also have exercise-induced asthma and struggled a lot with breathing problems. Sorry you're struggling with it. For me, the biggest game changer was the Running on Air, longer in-breath. I use a 3-in 2-out breath almost always. You may already, I don't know. At this point, a year later, I forget at times because my breathing is almost natural. On other runs I still need to count/keep pace and concentrate, but it was a huge and nearly immediate difference. I got the tip from Varda way back when :)
  • cherwp75
    cherwp75 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    The first time I did C25K, I was a "repeater" because if I didn't do the specific day the way that the beeps wanted me to, I didn't feel I was strong enough to complete the next day, which in turn put that into my head that "I can't do the next day :( ", so I would repeat. I ended up quitting. I did complete C25K a year and a half ago, never repeated a day and just kept plugging ahead...no...I couldn't do all the days the way that it wanted me to, but if I stayed focused on my breathing, gave myself permission to take a quick break to catch my breath if I lost focus and continued on I made it. I completely understand people who repeat days and if that works for them, great. It just didn't work for me :) My 2cents :) Good LUCK!!!!

P.s. I got out of running for about 6 months, so I am reconditioning by starting C25K again :)
  • likitisplit
    Options
    Yes. Running on Air helped me a lot in the early stages - thanks for the reminder, Jessie! It really helped me pace myself right off the bat instead of going out too quickly. (A problem I've developed again, sigh).

Another big learning was about recovery. There was a guy on here who ran sooo slowly, but didn't feel recovered by the walk breaks. He slowed down the walks and then finally stopped and stretched instead of walking. Not only did he successfully complete C25k (Yes, he NAILED that 20 minute run) but he taught me a valuable lesson about stopping when I need to. Walking for a minute. Stretching. The goal is to be able to run a 5k without stopping. But it doesn't mean that you have to do that every time you run.
  • toni_mmh
    toni_mmh Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Dear OP:
    There are no failures. C25K is a journey. There are challenges. There are lessons learned about yourself. Each hurdle you move past shows you just who you are and leads you to who you can be.

Find a way to enjoy the journey, Persevere......and listen to Varda; she has lots of good advice to keep you moving. :smile:
  • likitisplit
    Options
    ^^^

One of my pieces of advice is to re-read this regularly. Pure gold!
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    tl;dr: when you fail a day, is it better to repeat (multiple times if necessary), or should you just carry on and see if you can do the next run? And has anyone else been struggling but overcome it?

First off, you didn't fail. You maybe didn't make the progress that you wanted to make, but its not a test, its training. Personally I took 12 weeks to complete a 9 week programme, but I did it injury free.

Personally Id just repeat the session, even a couple of times just to prove it to yourself. The last thing your confidence needs is to thrash yourself on the next session.

All the best