Zero Carb Eating Bears Words of Wisdom

Options
timwhoa
timwhoa Posts: 325 Member
Have any of you ever heard of bears words of wisdom,, this guy lives and eats a zero carb diet,, consisting of mostly only Meat,

here is the first 3 paragraphs from this guys blog
"I have been eating the natural human dietary regime for over 47 years now. I do not eat anything whatsoever from vegetable sources. The only things veggie I use are spices. My diet is usually 60% fat and 40% protein by calories. I used to eat 80/20 when younger and about twice as much quantity of meat also, but that seems too much energy at my age, which is 71- even though I am very active. I think the body actually becomes more efficient with energy as you age, but I have no way of proving it true. Otherwise, my body today is very like it was at the age of 30. I figure most of what we call 'aging' is due to insulin damage to the collagen and other body structures. No carbs = no insulin. I don't heal quite as fast when injured as I did as a youngster, however. But I have few wrinkles, and my skin is still strong and elastic.

At this point I would like to point out that a zero carb diet does NOT cause ketosis. The body rapidly adapts within a few weeks and begins consuming the ketones from fat metabolism. A fully keto-adapted body excretes no ketones in the urine. A metabolic by product, 'ketone bodies' are actually a special kind of carb, and they substitute for glucose at the structures which use it. They have the added advantage of making you feel good- and well fed.

The body cannot store dietary fat, there is no mechanism for transport across the adipose cell's wall, nor can it 'burn' carbs, which actually are toxic in more than the tiny amount required by the brain and a few other structures. The body converts dietary carbs (all convert to glucose as they are absorbed) into body fat. The conversion mechanism requires insulin which is very tissue-damaging. It is correct to say that dietary carbs are the base cause of both heart blockage and diabetes, (not a disease).

here is the link to his page,http://activenocarber.myfreeforum.org/Bear_s_Words_Of_Wisdom_about22.html

any feel free to read some and comment, I often go for days and days on meat and eggs only, feel my best when i do

Replies

• fruttibiscotti
    fruttibiscotti Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    Tim, thank you for sharing. Very good read here.
  • FindingMyPerfection
    FindingMyPerfection Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    Did I read correctly that in the absence of carbs your body is unable to store excess cals as fat? He also says that in a no carb diet you will lose weight no matter how much you eat till you are between 18-22%bf, for a female, and then maintain unless you go into a deficit? Am I reading this wrong?
  • Olblueiiii
    Olblueiiii Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Thank you, Tim. That is an excellent read.
  • emmysusanne
    emmysusanne Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Thought that was very interesting also..
  • Niccidawn092
    Niccidawn092 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Very interesting. I am reading the rest of the article now. Thank you!
  • camtosh
    camtosh Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    bump to read later -- thanks!
  • cchild2
    cchild2 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I don't agree with a lot of that. Or course the body can store dietary fat. Sure it may break it down into the three fatty acids first to get carried through the blood in the lipoproteins, but it gets remade into tryclyceride once the fatty acids are back in the fat cell.

And the part about ketones not being excreted is false. And these ketone bodies are a type of carb? No.

And most carbs you eat are NOT turned into fat. It gets turned into glycogen in muscle and the liver.
  • timwhoa
    Options
    I read this article years ago, and I came across it again, I dont claim that all he says is true , BUT I will say that in the OLD Atkins books from the 1970's atkins made the same claims about 20 grams under induction dieting that you can eat until you are full, all you want of the allowed foods and you would lose weight, it always seems to work for me, now keep in mind old atkins books did not play with the Net Carb lists like the new atkins books are doing since he passed away, I must say in my own experience with my own body anytime I am truely under 20 grams, you would be so surprised how much cheating there in in labels and foods on the carb amounts, but IF you only ate meat, and cheese and eggs like Bear does or like the OLD atkins books you would be surpresed not only at the results but in how you feel Bear doesnt even eat nuts or seeds if I remember right, he does make a home made ice cream simular to the one I make, take the time to dig thru that whole blog it goes on and on for pages and pages, I think he used to be a sound stage manager for the group "The Grateful Dead" ,
  • timwhoa
    Options
    CC child, the way I understood it from the old atkins books is all fat turned into ketones has to be used as fuel for the body, and any ketones that are not used cannot be turned back into fat, I think atkins refered to it as the "advantage" of low carb dieting, so any excess ketones are flushed out in our urine, hence the readings on the keto strips, if you dont believe the idea that excess fat cant be turned into fat when ingested, then just try the old atkins "Fat Fast" diet, (this was way back towards the rear of his books from the 70's), you will lose weight much faster than if you ate nothing at all,, meaning the fat fast is faster at weight loss than a plain water fast!! I have done this too, but fat fasting is tough , the problem with carbs is people way over estamate how much the liver can store,, if the liver is full,, the rest has to be pushed into fat cells with insulin, if we are not eating carbs then the pancreaus is producing glucagon and fat is released from cells,, if my memory serves me correct
  • cchild2
    cchild2 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I don't think ALL dietary fat is turned into ketones while in ketosis. A lot yes, but some is still used as FFA --> TCA cycle w/o being turned into ketones and especially if you eat big meals, some of it will still go to your fat cells for storage (and then use between meals/at night).

Show me where excess dietary fat can not be stored as body fat.

Glucagon is the opposing hormone to insulin. Its goal is to raise blood sugar signalling the breakdown of glycogen into glucose. Not sure if it has anything to do with fat.

Your body is amazing. Since it can't use all the food we eat right away, it saves it for future use. If stores extra carbs as glycogen and fat and it stores extra fat as fat in fat cells, even while in ketosis.