First 5K

Options
This will be my first attempt at a 5K. I would love any training tips to help this beginner succeed!

Replies

• jillybean_75
    jillybean_75 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    This will be my first 5K as well. I'm in the Midwest amongst all of this snow and ice, and I decided to sign up (I bought a groupon) for a Shamrock 5K in Indy. I always run inside on a treadmill, and I'm going to work up to running the 5K on the treadmill or track until I can get outdoors when it gets less snowy. Any tips would be great. Everyone always tells me it is mind over matter, so we will see how that works out for me. I'm using C25K and have before but never finished it, so I go back a few weeks. Today I did Week 5 Day 1. Best of luck!
  • BrettWithPKU
    BrettWithPKU Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Mine's a 5-miler in Saint Louis. I couldn't run an outdoor 5k when I was 40 pounds lighter, and I signed up for a 5-mile run. Possibly I was a bit overzealous when I made that decision.

But, there's no sense in not being as prepared as I can be, so off to the treadmill I go.
  • ICarla
    ICarla Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I'm starting C25K over again. My profile pic reflects my first attempt all the way to week 5. I lost a lot of inches!!! Most of all I felt good. I'm doing the Shamrock 5k here in Baltimore. My first one and I'm super excited!!!!
  • trixie315
    trixie315 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    WOW I am so happy you all found my group! I am stuck inside on a treadmill too jillybean. I've only ran a few 5ks - I want to beat my time and started this group as a way to reach my weight loss goals. There are a couple first timers here wanting advice. I am NO expert but can tell you a few things I've learned - start slow if you've never ran or haven't in a long time. Then build up to running/joggin for a block (or for a few mins on a treadmill) and then walking and slowly buiding up that time so that you are hardly walking at all. You are completely right that it is mind over matter-the last 5k I ran I had a terrible cold and almost didn't go but I'm sure glad I did. I just kept going and you know what? I felt BETTER afterwards! We can do this! I did 1.5 on the treadmill on Monday and yesterday I did some fast walking on a high incline and lifted. It's important to cross train when training for any event but running practice will prob help most. I am NOT AN EXPERT... THANK YOU for joining this group everyone!
  • nlpace02
    nlpace02 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'd like to join this group. I'm trying for my first 5k. I tried the program before but never made it all the way through. I'm really motivated this time around though. I feel like the main thing I'm missing is a running group to keep me motivated. So thanks for creating this group! That being said, I like to run outside with my pup and this freezing cold is ruining that plan. Fortunately I live in the South so it will be warm again in a day or two and I plan to get started then. I think I can still finish the program by March 15th if I stick with it. Meanwhile I've been doing gym classes to stay in shape but haven't run recently.
  • trixie315
    trixie315 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Welcome nlplace! I'd MUCH rather be running outside but subzero temps aren't my friend! LOL high of only 6 degrees today so I'll be running on my treadmill INSIDE Thank you! LOL. How's everyone doing??