First time Ketosis day 3

AHHHHHH, seriously, wtf?????? So I started Monday, man that was hell, friggin all consuming hell. And who knew a cappuccino had 8 grams of carbs. Whatever. Managed ketosis on Tuesday morning (which was after killer workouts on Monday and Tuesday Morning, weights and swimming), using the beef broth to curb the headaches which is helping.

Today I get up, feel ok, sort of a headache. Then I do my 60 min swim, 2200 meters, good swim, I could literally taste metal in my mouth on my interval sets, is that normal. I mean I have the metallic taste all the time, more or less, but on the high intensity bits I felt like friggin iron man breath. So After the workout i am dead, no banana, no sandwhich, just eggs and cheese and butter. I down that in like 10 minutes, I tried to make it last but couldn't. Then I get to work, and it is only 9 a.m. and I need need need something so coffee with cream and coconut oil. Bam. By 9 a.m. I have had 1200 calories. (goal is 2200)

I am like, what am I going to do. But miraculously I feel better. And I feel good good good good good, have a coffee with coffee cream at 11 feel good good then bam, 12:30 I am starving, I wolf down three mini pepperoni sticks and handfulls of greens, ok, better, then it is 2 and my head is spinning and I feel weak. Got the beef broth now and another pepperoni stick.

I guess the good bit is I am not hungry,

I am really considering at least having a glass of milk in the morning before my swim, just something to take the edge off, and see what that does to ketosis.

Replies

• crossroad2012
    crossroad2012 Posts: 84 Member
    I think most will agree not to count calories that first or maybe even second week. Your body is being a little brat right now and wants it's high carb fix. Just eat and drink as much as you need (of LCHF food) and I promise you things will calm down a bit and you won't feel like you are on such a rollercoaster.

Oh and as far as the metal taste...my ketosis tastes and I swear smells like rotting fruit...wtf?!
  • fruttibiscotti
    fruttibiscotti Posts: 986 Member
    I agree with crossroad and ease up a bit on your calorie restriction for about a week or two until your body gets used to the new foods regime.

Also, when you eat something,whether a snack or a meal, make sure fat is the predominant calorie component. If you eat a high protein meal or snack, with fat providing lower calories than protein, you will cause a spike of insulin, which will induce bouts of hunger. This is because protein is insulinogenic. If you combine protein with fat, you buffer the protein effect.

Yes, the metal taste in your mouth is ketones. It is very intense when you drink water too, tasting like you are drinking metallic tainted water.
  • Hey,

Thanks guys.

First diet in my life so I did figure out that I should be taking in way more than 2200 calories. My maintenance level is 3200, with my workouts I am 3600-3900, so, yeah, no wonder I was in a crumby mood.

Also upped my protein level. Was on about 100 grams for Monday and Tuesday. Seems there is no consensus on how much protein you should have although one guy said at least 150 grams, so bang.

Anyways, I feel tons better today even though my carbs are still way low.
  • chownot
    chownot Posts: 46 Member
    I don't know what your total carb intake for the day is, but I was told to NOT exercise the first week as when you are going low carb and in ketosis you become dehydrated and your blood pressure drops. Also, try adding a tsp of sea salt to a glass of water as it helps with headaches. Take it easy on yourself the first two weeks. Although you do need fat, try an avocado or olive oil rather than fatty processed meat. Good Luck
  • I have been in Ketosis for past 7 weeks and I run 4 miles a day and around 8-12 miles on Sunday. I felt like crap after trying to run in first week and took a break in week 2. In week 3, I started running again but stopped counting calories and added bouillon cubes to get the right level of sodium. I use heavy whipping cream in my coffee as Milk knocks me out of Ketosis. My friend can drink a cup of milk and still stay in Ketosis. Try to experiment with different low carb food options and see what works best for your body and lifestyle.
  • My carbs are around 40 net. The workouts have been tough. Today I did 2 hours lifting heavy in the gym. Energy levels felt way up today but the strength just wasn't there. Very interesting.

With my increase in calories I feel tons better. Actually, this morning I felt so good I thought I was knocked out of ketosis because I had a corn tortilla last night and some beans. But was still there this morning.

I do think I need to carb up tomorrow though. There is no way I can lift heavy and be depleted. It isn't much fun.

I did discover the chicken stock. Also started putting way more salt in stuff. Just trying to hold on to some water. I am going to the washroom nonstop.