Quick! What would you do?

Options
mmipanda
mmipanda Posts: 351 Member
My boss just brought in a pile of cakes and pastries that his wife made and told me to help myself. They are sitting on my desk.

Obviously I don't want to eat these. But I also don't want to offend. Or go into an explanation about paleo!

What would you do in such a situation?

* I can hear him in his office swearing crankily. Not in a mood for sass.

Replies

• chani8
    chani8 Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    Move them off the desk and far away. And if you need to explain yourself, which you don't need to do, use one word. Just say, "Diet." Everyone's on a diet these days.
  • camtosh
    camtosh Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    Eat some almonds, or other paleo snack, and feel full. Then pick up the goodies and walk around the office offering them to everyone else! :happy:
  • HaggisWhisperer
    HaggisWhisperer Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Take one, put it in your pocket and dispose of it later. Tell him it was delicious!
  • Nutmeg76
    Nutmeg76 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Leave them alone, unless he asks don't bring them up. Offer them to other people. If he asks if you liked them or why you didn't eat any, just tell him either you are on a diet (although sometimes people don't care and will say "oh just try one, you can eat just one.") or let him know that you are doing an elimination diet to help find out what is causing you to have some symptom....dry skin, irritable bowel, rashes, "women problems" etc.
  • SteamClutch
    SteamClutch Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Beat him with a pillow case full of the pastries calling him an insensitive jerk the whole time. :tongue: But seriously I have chocolate treats out on my desk for my crew but they do not tempt me, if they tempt you move them.
  • FitToLead
    FitToLead Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

But yes, there are some good options. I reckon we all need to be prepared for moments like that. I am 6okg overweight and yet my freinds think they are being kind when they offer cakes, chocolates etc. I say, no thnaks, they say just one, I say, its not a kindess to me, they say, no really, I say I am really overweight and I want to drop some of it, they say, oh no you are not that overweight. Funny, people are really trying to be kind, but really missing the reality that its not kind to push a morbidly obese oman to eat cake etc-- kind of like offering alcohol to an alcoholic.
  • Maggie_Pie1
    Maggie_Pie1 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    But yes, there are some good options. I reckon we all need to be prepared for moments like that. I am 6okg overweight and yet my freinds think they are being kind when they offer cakes, chocolates etc. I say, no thnaks, they say just one, I say, its not a kindess to me, they say, no really, I say I am really overweight and I want to drop some of it, they say, oh no you are not that overweight. Funny, people are really trying to be kind, but really missing the reality that its not kind to push a morbidly obese oman to eat cake etc-- kind of like offering alcohol to an alcoholic.

I usually just take it and throw it away when nobody is looking. If they ask why I'm not eating it right away, I say I'm saving it for after lunch or for later. Little white lies, nobodies feelings get hurt, no biggie.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    Move them. You are there to work. I'm sure it's not in your job description that you store food on your desk. Talk about inconsiderate. I don't care if one is on a "diet" or what, I don't personally appreciate my workplace being all about food (and it's always junk food for some reason...).
  • redheadmommy
    redheadmommy Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    I would say I am gluten intolerant, and then people would not bother me with pastry and **** like that ever again .
    Since I feel bad emotionally and feel sluggish/ bloated etc after eating wheat, it is just a borderline lie.
  • mmipanda
    Options
    I was the only one there, which was the problem! Now everyone is in I feel less guilty about not eating any of them, becaues it will go unnoticed.

* The reason i'm so hesitant to talk about diets is because I'm 2 months away from my wedding and people jump to the conclusion I'm trying to lose weight for that. Which bugs me a lot, because of the whole wedding industry complex about how everyone has to lose weight when they get married... and it brings with it this idea that I'll 'let myself go' afterwards.
  • mmipanda
    Options
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I do hate this culture of it being seen as a 'treat' - Any time I refuse a cake or pastry I get comments like 'ahh come on, you're skinny!' (I'm not really) and like I should 'indulge'. I don't really LIKE cake, and I've discovered I'm pretty sensitive to gluten & wheat. It's not worth hurting myself over!
  • fruttibiscotti
    fruttibiscotti Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    Move the plate of treats into the lunch room or break room or coffee bar or common area....whatever layout you guys have. If your boss asks about them, thank him (and his wife) for the lovely treats but you can't have them for diet reasons related to health issues, which at this time you would like to keep private.
  • ShannonKirton
    ShannonKirton Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I would "take one home" and throw it away later. OR as suggested by fruttibiscott, lunch room is always an option.
  • Ledgehanger
    Ledgehanger Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    My boss just brought in a pile of cakes and pastries that his wife made and told me to help myself. They are sitting on my desk.

Obviously I don't want to eat these. But I also don't want to offend. Or go into an explanation about paleo!

I don't think there is any requirement that you eat any of it.

Having said that, if I were in your shoes, I would smile graciously, say thank you, and eat one. I would savor it and fully enjoy it - and then offer the rest to others around me. One pastry isn't going to kill my eating plan (even though it's not *part* of my eating plan).
  • homesweeths
    homesweeths Posts: 792 Member
    Options

I don't think there is any requirement that you eat any of it.

Having said that, if I were in your shoes, I would smile graciously, say thank you, and eat one. I would savor it and fully enjoy it - and then offer the rest to others around me. One pastry isn't going to kill my eating plan (even though it's not *part* of my eating plan).

Nice that one doesn't hurt you. For my part, sugar makes my joints ache, so I am pretty motivated. My response here (to safeguard myself while saving face for the boss) would probably be to say with a great deal of longing in my voice (I still remember how much I used to love chewy brownies, for example), "Oh, that all looks delicious! Really wish I could have just one, but my body would react with three days of pain. I'll just put these in the breakroom for all those other lucky people..."

(And people, who knew me last spring, can still remember how crippled I was compared to now, would believe me.)
  • cw822
    cw822 Posts: 107
    Options
    I do hate this culture of it being seen as a 'treat' - Any time I refuse a cake or pastry I get comments like 'ahh come on, you're skinny!' (I'm not really) and like I should 'indulge'. I don't really LIKE cake, and I've discovered I'm pretty sensitive to gluten & wheat. It's not worth hurting myself over!

You could always reply that you don't wish to slowly poison your mind and body with all the processed crap that goes into those type of "treats", and then say "but you go ahead and help yourself to it".
  • mmipanda
    Options

You could always reply that you don't wish to slowly poison your mind and body with all the processed crap that goes into those type of "treats", and then say "but you go ahead and help yourself to it".
    :laugh:great way to alienate my co-workers. I will keep that in mind for future family interactions though.
  • mmipanda
    Options
    am I the only one feeling squicky about throwing away perfectly edible food? I mean, just because I don't want it doesn't mean I should just bin it :frown:

also LedgeHanger - I've discovered the hard way that one biscuit = 24hrs of pain, bloating, etc. Its never worthwhile for me!
  • Ledgehanger
    Ledgehanger Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    am I the only one feeling squicky about throwing away perfectly edible food? I mean, just because I don't want it doesn't mean I should just bin it :frown:

also LedgeHanger - I've discovered the hard way that one biscuit = 24hrs of pain, bloating, etc. Its never worthwhile for me!
    I can certainly see that, and wouldn't suggest that my solution would work for everybody. :)
  • redheadmommy
    redheadmommy Posts: 908 Member
    Options

100% agree. ,I would never throw away edible food just because I do not want to eat it. There are children out there straving... i also would not eat it just to fit in. That is why I would say I am intolerant , which solves the issue once for all. This is not a good solution for people who sometimes might actually want to taste some wheat product later, r may change their mind regarding the whole paleo. But it works for me, because I am not going back to eat wheat anyway.