Oh no

Options
So I stepped on the scale this morning and noticed a gain of 1.5 lbs :sad:
I'm wondering if it's because I now work out 5-6xs a week, compared to the 1-3x's when I started on 01/01/14. I'm only taking in 1250 cals, which was set by MFP. I'm thinking I'm taking in too few cals and should up it a little bit.
Any suggestions guys?
Thanks in advance!

Replies

• lhinds85
    lhinds85 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I think your not eating enough. Especially with working out that much. I'm no expert :-)
  • lanajs11
    Options
    I agree. I think you need to consume more calories to keep your metabolism going and you working out that much. Could be retaining water, too (maybe). I haven't looked at your food diary, but maybe increasing your protein and fiber would help, too.
  • meek277
    meek277 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Are you getting enough sleep? Enough water. I think I've been working out to 3 -5 days a week. I just walk slowly for an hour. I think my hrm says that Im in the fat burning zone. This month I've noticed that my scale moves better when I have limited bread, sugar and pasta.
  • morzolas
    morzolas Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I personally net 1800 calories a day. If I work out, I eat back those calories. Make no mistake, it's HARD to eat that many calories when you're actually eating healthy foods. Most days it's a struggle to get to 1800, but I make sure to at least net 1600. The body is also not static. I had a few sips of soda and a few handfuls of popcorn a couple of weeks ago. Boom 2 pounds the next day. I know it was impossible calorie wise to have gained that much. My body had to adjust back to normal. If you're exercising and lowering your calories, the body might been taken too off guard by everything. It can take a while for it to get into the "new normal." Don't fret!
  • lastchancedance89
    lastchancedance89 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I don't think you're eating too little at all and because I'm a creep your food diary tells me that you are always in a healthy range of sodium and you drink a crap ton of water, so it's not due to that. I think that your increase in frequency of your workouts has sort of thrown your body for a loop and its actually trying to repair itself. Here's what I found. I actually remember someone else posted about this same problem but I can't remember where :(

http://www.sparkpeople.com/blog/blog.asp?post=why_the_scale_goes_up_when_you_start_a_new_workout_plan

My advice would be to stick with what you're doing and give your body a week or two to adjust to your new regime and I predict you'll see some weight loss.

Good luck!
  • boulevardMto180
    Options
    thanks so much guys!!!!
  • kikalique
    kikalique Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I would also add to try to be patient (advice I need to remember myself). Are you weighing in multiple times a week? I know that's a recipe to drive myself crazy because daily fluctuations are normal, and some days I could go up 3 lbs in a single day (what the heck body, what the heck). Give your body time to readjust to your new routine. You may not lose anything this week, but think of it as a long term journey. Look at what you've done over the past couple of weeks. Your body will eventually catch up.
  • Spambo16
    Spambo16 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    One, the consensus on the boards seems to be that you should eat back at least some portion of your workout calories, so as long as you're staying within your net target, boosting a little probably wouldn't hurt anything. Two, given the increase in your workouts, you're undoubtedly building some muscle, so you may go up a little in pounds but down in inches. Have you taken measurements recently? If you're sore, to Dan's point, your body is repairing and I know I tend to retain a bit of fluid when I've got some DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness) going on - within a day or two, that little pop of weight seems to fade out with the aches for me.

Fear not, keep kicking butt, and that new muscle fiber will shortly get to work boosting your metabolism! :smile:
  • sharebear2012
    sharebear2012 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I think you should just stay the course. Upward fluctuations happen on any weight loss journey in spite of sticking 100% to the diet and exercise regime. Daily fluctations in weight occur and it may be that tomorrow you would be down. I wouuld say, stay the course. You are doing the right things. 125 is a healthy calorie range. You will lose in the coming days/ weeks.
  • jocop2003
    jocop2003 Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    I am in kinda of the same boat with yah. I have ran lots this week and my weight loss is just .02 lbs. Kinda disappointing since I was hoping to see a different number that I have not see in a long time. But thanks for posting, as I was getting upset and wondering what I am going to do with my diet. But right now I aim for 1500 if I am between 1300 and 1500, I am happy with that but when I run and have a hard work out I want to be around 1500 so I don't deprive my self. If my workout is so so than I am fine just being under that.
  • mojisha
    mojisha Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    lastchancedan, thanks for that article!
  • RosieRaz
    RosieRaz Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    All good comments! I'm taking the advice as well. :) Hope the gain will decrease as the soreness receedes.
  • Fodao
    Fodao Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    You might have just happened to weigh yourself at one of your mini-peaks. I wouldn't fret it.

I do my my weight every day, and the graph looks like a trending stock market chart: some days it spikes up, some days it spikes down, but if you were to draw a single trending line through the average, the trend is going down.

There was one time last week that I gained 2 lbs over 4 days, only to see it all disappear 2 days later. Then, over two more days, I shed another 3 lbs. That's a fluctuation of 5 lbs over the course of 4 days!

Here's a graph of my last (and first!) month. You can see that spike right in the middle (which is about when I started taking daily measurements):

http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll298/photao/graph.jpg

Hope this helps!