How do you cope with stress?

Options
Zombieinkpot
Zombieinkpot Posts: 745 Member
I'm really stressed at the moment with things going on in my house and I'm not coping so well, so I'm wondering what things do you do that helps when you feel really stressed and can't cope?

Thanks in advance.

Inky

Replies

• Blue801
    Blue801 Posts: 442
    Options
    Eat Eat Eat! That's what I did, but it isn't a good suggestion. It got me rather fat actually. Other alternatives: Run. Go for a hike. Take a shower. Hot bath. Escapist book reading. List making (lists for everything: to dos, shopping, etc.). Loud music. Cat or dog stroking (actually proven to lower stress levels I think). Sleep. Exercise is always my most effective destressor, but usually the hardest one to choose.

Edit: Get help with the stuff going on at home?
  • MissDLynnR
    MissDLynnR Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Its like you read my mind. I have a ton of stress as well. Most of which I cant put on here. I don't have any friends in the area where I live but my advice to you would be make some friends and talk.....you will feel better. If nothing else journal...sounds cheesy but it works!
  • pnece
    pnece Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    In the short term I try deep breathing exercises. The Dartmouth College student health website has some good, short downloads of breathing exercises. If it's longer term stress, you may have to work on changing the underlying situation that's causing the stress., especially if it's taking you off track with eating. Remember to put yourself first!
  • Zombieinkpot
    Options
    Thank you all so much for your replies! :flowerforyou:

@BlueLinsang - yeah, eat is my go to activity too, but I really don't want to do that! I've had a few binges this week (first time since October), but I haven't derailed anything - yet. Thank you for your advice. I've been trying to keep exercising. I must spend more time cuddling my dog and cat, I think they'd like that too!

@MissDLM - hugs! Good luck with your stress! Friends aren't an option for me at the moment, but thanks for the idea to journal. Things get so blown up in my head, if I wrote it all down I'm sure I'd see there is nothing to worry about.

@Pnece - Thank you for the deep breathing and website suggestion. I can't really change the situation, but it has made me realise that I have more work to do on myself than losing weight!
  • SadieRose07
    SadieRose07 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Hey Zombie,

First, HUGS.

Second, try to change the habit. Instead of eating when you're stressed, try replacing that habit with something that will enable you in your health and weight loss. Go for a walk, drink a cup of herbal tea, do some push-ups, an exercise DVD, etc.

I know that some times that is easier said then done. It has become a habit (for me too!) to eat to alleviate stress. The more you replace that with something more productive (for a lack of a better word) the more the new behaviour will become a habit and before you know it, it will be your "go to" for stress.

Good luck!
  • Zombieinkpot
    Options
    @SadieRose aw, thank you :flowerforyou: I've been keeping up my exercise, which is a first for me! Yes, going for a walk or doing an exercise DVD will definitely help.
  • emilym820
    emilym820 Posts: 992 Member
    Options
    Music has always been my stress outlet (right behind food). I go to Zumba 3 times a week, which I LOVE and helps with my overall stress level. In addition to that, I love to turn on some upbeat music and dance/sing with my kids. They absolutely love it.

It makes me happy to think that their memories of me will be of me singing and dancing around the house with them and not sitting on the couch with a pint of ice cream and a bad attitude (which was me a little over a year ago). :)
  • Zombieinkpot
    Options
    It makes me happy to think that their memories of me will be of me singing and dancing around the house with them and not sitting on the couch with a pint of ice cream and a bad attitude (which was me a little over a year ago). :)

Thanks Emily, I do find music helpful. I absolutely love that you sing and dance with your kids! You are a great mother. :drinker:
  • StarL3sS
    StarL3sS Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I too am an EMOTIONAL eater! I have many issues trying to turn away from food as my comfort. When I feel this way I have been trying to listen to music or read! Each time I am more aware of it happening. Even get on the treadmill for 10 min helps a little.
  • Zombieinkpot
    Options
    @StarL3sS Thank you. Reading and listening to music are very helpful. I think being aware of it is important. I wish I could make peace with my emotions. I've been stuffing them down deep inside for so many years that I don't know what to do with them!
  • pnece
    pnece Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    @StarL3sS Thank you. Reading and listening to music are very helpful. I think being aware of it is important. I wish I could make peace with my emotions. I've been stuffing them down deep inside for so many years that I don't know what to do with them!

I can SOOOO relate! Same thing began happening to me right around when I hit the 50-lbs lost mark. Once you stop eating, all those feelings come up and you don't want to resort to your go-to food. So what do you do with them?? Here's what's worked for me, at least sometimes. A psychologist who specializes in treating obesity suggested that I just sit with the emotion -- let myself feel it. So I tried doing that. Was it fun? No. Frankly, it sucks in the short term. But I've learned that I come out the other side in one piece, without eating. I've also discovered that by letting myself feel the negative emotions, I can let them go more easily -- they don't keep looming so large in that place we've stuffed them for years.

Just a thought.
  • Zombieinkpot
    Options

I can SOOOO relate! Same thing began happening to me right around when I hit the 50-lbs lost mark. Once you stop eating, all those feelings come up and you don't want to resort to your go-to food. So what do you do with them?? Here's what's worked for me, at least sometimes. A psychologist who specializes in treating obesity suggested that I just sit with the emotion -- let myself feel it. So I tried doing that. Was it fun? No. Frankly, it sucks in the short term. But I've learned that I come out the other side in one piece, without eating. I've also discovered that by letting myself feel the negative emotions, I can let them go more easily -- they don't keep looming so large in that place we've stuffed them for years.

Just a thought.

That's great advice, pnece, thanks! :flowerforyou: